By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics: Gamecube vs. Xbox vs. PS2 vs. Dreamcast

Props to the GC. I was VERY impressed with the system back then. I often thought it was the most powerful of the 4 despite what the specs said on paper. I was constantly surprised by the visuals in the GC titles. Virtually every RE game built from the ground up for the system, Star Fox and a few other notably titles were mouth watering visual feasts. I had a much wider software library for my PS2, but the GC was a beast and had some spectacular looking stuff.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network
Weedlab said:
Props to the GC. I was VERY impressed with the system back then. I often thought it was the most powerful of the 4 despite what the specs said on paper. I was constantly surprised by the visuals in the GC titles. Virtually every RE game built from the ground up for the system, Star Fox and a few other notably titles were mouth watering visual feasts. I had a much wider software library for my PS2, but the GC was a beast and had some spectacular looking stuff.

dont forget about Factor5 pushing boundaries with SW Rouge leader in 2001!!!!

DieAppleDie said:
Weedlab said:

dont forget about Factor5 pushing boundaries with SW Rouge leader in 2001!!!!

Excellent point. I remember not being impressed with PS2 and DC games from a visual perspective. I didn't feel that 'transition' with the first wave of games on each respective system. Rogue Leader was the game that told me the next gen has arrived. It did for me in that gen what Gears of War did for me in this gen.

Visuals aside, thinking back on it, I think I might have actually played my GC more than my PS2 and DC combined. Smash Bros. no doubt.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Definetly the GameCube had the best grahpics!

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Xbox blew the other three away. Anyone who lived that era as an adult knows that. Gamecube was a clear second, followed by PS2 and then Dreamcast. Although, some of the first PS2 games were behind what the Dreamcast was putting out so, that gap wasn't as huge as the Gamecube to PS2 gap.

Around the Network

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on Xbox says it all...

Holy necrobump Batman

On topic, while Xbox had the most brute force, I feel Gamecube held its own admirably and produced some of the best looking games of that generation.

Xbox was imo by far the most powerful. But the GameCube really did have it's moments when games were made specifically for its architecture.

PS2 was a distant third, but that's to be expected given how much sooner it was on the market.

Dreamcast was clearly a step behind again, but again even earlier to market. There were however summer blinding looking Dreamcast games that again really worked well to the hardware.

Dreamcast definitely had the most impressive visual impact/step up though. Games like Sonic Adventure and Tokyo Xtreme Racer just gave such a step up from the PS1 and N64 that I dont think any system will be able to wow me in that way again.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.