By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 games on Metacritic this gen, do you agree?

So this is the 7th gen Top 10 games according to Metacritic, this gen is almost over and it's hard to say if there will be a new game that'll crack the 95 barrier. So what do you think, do you agree that these are the best games this gen? What games should be in the list instead of others?

Rank Console Name Rating
1. PS3/X360 Grand Theft Auto IV 98
2. Wii Super Mario Galaxy 97
3. Wii Super Mario Galaxy 2 97
4. X360/PC Bioshock 96
5. PS3 Uncharted 2: Amoung Thieves 96
6. X360/PC The Orange Box 96
7. PS3 Batman: Arkham city 96
8. X360 Mass Effect 2 96
9. X360 Elder Scrolls: Skyrim 96
10. PS3 LittleBigPlanet 95

I excluded App games...they don't count!

Around the Network

no i don't agree. i liked gta but it is never ever the best game this gen. no clue how it could get 98 on average wow. can't say much about mario, bioshock is my favourite this gen so i agree with that lol^^

Wow. Amazing how Galaxy 2 somehow managed to reach its predecessor's levels. They were both excellent and offered a lot of joy (especially the second one which I played to death with my sister), so in my opinion they both deserved their scores.

Haven't played GTA IV myself, but 98 seems almost impossible to achieve! Looks like I really missed something there...

Glad to see Skyrim got such a high score as it's definitely one of my favorite games this generation. Well deserved indeed.

Overall it's hard to say whether I agree with this list or not though as I haven't played the majority of those titles.

I don't agree with GTA but that's really it.

Good overall. Batman deserves a few more spots up, though.

Clearly Vanquish should have a 99...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Take off the list GTA4 and Mass Effect 2

The first 3 need to be booted from the list entirely, especially GTA4. The rest seems ok.

I think everything there except GTAIV and The Orange Box deserve to be there (GTA4 is infamously overrated, and Orange Box was an overrated FPS, two overrated expansions to the FPS, a great multiplayer shooter which is now free, and a two-hour long puzzle game).

EDIT: I would replace them with Assassin's Creed II and Arkham City.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

I think everything there except GTAIV and The Orange Box deserve to be there (GTA4 is infamously overrated, and Orange Box was an overrated FPS, two overrated expansions to the FPS, a great multiplayer shooter which is now free, and a two-hour long puzzle game).

I'm getting my knife, stay right here

pezus said:
Kantor said:

Now that is just blasphemy! Orange Box was one of the best gaming deals at the time. It was the best FPS of all time, two great expansions to it, a great multiplayer shooter that has been great for years and an innovative puzzle game (took me around 3-4 hours I think).

My opinion of Half Life 2 may well be damaged by the fact that I played it seven years after release, but Orange Box was three years after it came out anyway. By that point, honestly, it was pretty generic and far less polished than most FPS out there. Maybe it was revolutionary in 2004.

I do like Team Fortress 2 and Portal very much, but both have been free (and TF2 still is free), and Portal is not long at all.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective