By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

Boutros said:
This thread is getting worse and worse.

*Nods head in agreement*

Sometimes I wish threads like these were banned, they become so annoying. But, at least I have the option of not looking into them.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Player1x3 said:

It was just a hypothesis to shows that their inability to reproduce could have them go extinct. Of course i don't think anything like that would happen.. and you're using a lizard to show me a human homosexual society could strive?

You put a homosexual society against a heterosexual society. That's not the point. A society/ecosystem mixed with homesexuals and heterosexuals is the natural way and it is obviously evolutionary superior to the exclusive societies, because mixed societies/ecosystem are what happens to stay in the evolution as we can observe in the nature.

exactly. people often say such things like "it can't be natural because if  we would get only homosexuals, humans would die out" or such stupid things but that is/was never the question. it was never the question to have 100% homosexuals,  it's normal that only one part of the humans is homosexual and that will never change because that is what nature is doing, let some people be homosexual. i once read about one theory some have (sisters of homosexuals are more fertile), that could be one reason, there could be many other reasons but it just would be a huge coincidence that every creature has some homosexuals. just read about giraffes and the rate there, it's not like they have a huge problems to stay on the planet because of that...

NintendoPie said:
Boutros said:
This thread is getting worse and worse.

*Nods head in agreement*

Sometimes I wish threads like these were banned, they become so annoying. But, at least I have the option of not looking into them.

True

These are topics people need to talk about. Rather, it's so much worse for people not to have a chance to talk about things like this.

Having said that I just wish it didn't resort to some of the attitudes we see here. Let's let that be a lesson guys. Be civil, don't insult each other, express your opinions and get things reasoned out.

Runa216 said:

Why are things like this allowed? Perhaps a better question is why would a person want to post this?

sc94597 said:

It's easier for the parent emotionally. Rather than see something he doesn't agree with, and working to agree with it, it is just easier to forget about one's son, and from the matter of the letter it seems like the father put much contemplation into it. I'd think that once somebody is older, they lose the will to fight for something they believe in, and sometimes its just easier to give up and let things run their course, and if you dislike it, you distance yourself. It depends on the person I'd think, to be honest. 

What do you mean "see something he doesn't agree with"? The parent doesn't have to watch the son exercise his homosexuality. He can still be near his son just like he was before he knew his son was gay. The son & father could have the exact same interactions as before. The son is still the exact same person to his father, except when in his private time, he prefers to be with men. The son's homosexuality doesn't alter their relationship at all. In fact, even before the son came out of the closet, their relationship wasn't hurt by the son's homosexualityy.

Around the Network

Wow!!! The ban hammer came down pretty hard in here.....

Anyway, maybe this will leave this thread open to more civilized debates. Recap of decent arguments I've seen in here so far....
-The father is not really angry, more so disappointed. He feels obligated by his religion to do what he did. He is also driven by his fatherly pride to want his son to be just like him.
-That the father could be angry for similar reasons as stated above. Hate of the unknown homosexual phenomenon fueled his message to his son.

I am more inclined to believe the former, Its not exactly filled with hateful wording. Yet I don't think that changes the magnitude of his actions. Not only is the prejudice against Gays just morally reprehensible(opinion), but his disowning of his son is blatently contradictory to core foundations of the bible(where he derives his opinion).

I do not think this guy's father is some kind of monster, he is just yet another victim in my eyes.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

sc94597 said:
Scoobes said:
sc94597 said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
i don't get gay hate.. i mean i have a few gay mates and it doesn't bother me because why would it? its disturbes me when i see things like this because i have to think.. why does this guys dad care so much on where his sons dick goes?

Many people believe in the traditional family unit. It isn't about disturbance, at least not most of the time. Parents want the best for their kids, and sometimes it's easier to just give up on them rather than try to work around the percieved fault, although this is not as morally sound for most individuals, it is by far easier emotionally and effortly

Is it really though? The guy's effectively killed off his son in his mind. Maybe it takes less effort, but emotionally I think it's a mixed bag, whether he realises it yet or not. Personally, I'd use the word cowardly rather than easier.

Afterall, it's definitely not easier for his son on an emotional level.

It's easier for the parent emotionally. Rather than see something he doesn't agree with, and working to agree with it, it is just easier to forget about one's son, and from the matter of the letter it seems like the father put much contemplation into it. I'd think that once somebody is older, they lose the will to fight for something they believe in, and sometimes its just easier to give up and let things run their course, and if you dislike it, you distance yourself. It depends on the person I'd think, to be honest. 

I'd argue it's only easier on the surface. Deep down there's going to be all sorts of mixed emotions that are going to be left to simmer. Even if he never talks to his son again, in the back of his mind he'll know his son is gay and that he's too weak to face up to it. He may lose the will to fight but in the long term there's going to be emotional damage.

forevercloud3000 said:
Wow!!! The ban hammer came down pretty hard in here.....

Anyway, maybe this will leave this thread open to more civilized debates. Recap of decent arguments I've seen in here so far....
-The father is not really angry, more so disappointed. He feels obligated by his religion to do what he did. He is also driven by his fatherly pride to want his son to be just like him.
-That the father could be angry for similar reasons as stated above. Hate of the unknown homosexual phenomenon fueled his message to his son.

I am more inclined to believe the former, Its not exactly filled with hateful wording. Yet I don't think that changes the magnitude of his actions. Not only is the prejudice against Gays just morally reprehensible(opinion), but his disowning of his son is blatently contradictory to core foundations of the bible(where he derives his opinion).

I do not think this guy's father is some kind of monster, he is just yet another victim in my eyes.

I think this is a very fair point of view. I'm glad someone finally brings up that the bible is in all probability not for disowning your son. Of course we don't know if this is a christian, but with a name like James, it's either jewish or christian in all likelyhood.

The story of the garden of adam and eve can give clues on how God deals with sin, but the truth is homosexuality is biblically one of many sins. True it is a big one, but it's hard to place sins on levels biblically, yet it is possible to a degree. However the story of the prodigal son is one that sheds another light on the issue. True, in all cases of mercy there is a degree of repentance, so what is the final verdict as to biblically, it is still a tough call imho.

Meanwhile, I like how you see the father as a victim of ideology. Assuming christianity or whathever his faith in God may be is incorrect (it's possible), following its teaching and leading a person to live a lifestyle that is not one of true love (real love, not conditional love), then yes he would be a victim, and it's amazing that you can see it that way. These are the kinds of directions I'd like to see more of.

Jay520 said:
sc94597 said:

What do you mean "see something he doesn't agree with"? The parent doesn't have to watch the son exercise his homosexuality. He can still be near his son just like he was before he knew his son was gay. The son & father could have the exact same interactions as before. The son is still the exact same person to his father, except when in his private time, he prefers to be with men. The son's homosexuality doesn't alter their relationship at all. In fact, even before the son came out of the closet, their relationship wasn't hurt by the son's homosexualityy.

I think the man obviously would want "something else" for his son is what I meant. A family, with a wife and kids, and therefore grandchildren, etc. Having said that, what if his son married or civil union'd a man one day and wished to bring him home to meet his father? Should his father say "no", already revealing he's fine with his gay son, when actually his feeelings reveal otherwise? I think the man did at least the right thing by revealing his feelings conscisely, honestly, and clearly to his son at the very lease; so as to not cause confusion. 

Jay520 said
"What do you mean "see something he doesn't agree with"? The parent doesn't have to watch the son exercise his homosexuality. He can still be near his son just like he was before he knew his son was gay. The son & father could have the exact same interactions as before. The son is still the exact same person to his father, except when in his private time, he prefers to be with men. The son's homosexuality doesn't alter their relationship at all. In fact, even before the son came out of the closet, their relationship wasn't hurt by the son's homosexualityy."

Exactly, thats hypocresy on its highest levels, everything was fine with his son when he was secretly gay, but when he revealed to his father the truth, his homosexuality was an unacceptable way of life.....what really changed? apart from a son being honest to his father....