By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Game division made $375m profit (FY 2011)

kowenicki said:
whats the point of this thread? is it some kind of deflection mechanism?

The last results show a loss, i.e. the numbers quoted today for the last qtr.

This is historical data, post it as such, and yet you are quoting in the current tense.

What historical data? We only know them since today, these are new numbers. I'm quoting Sony who released them today, not info that was released months ago.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
whats the point of this thread? is it some kind of deflection mechanism?

The last results show a loss, i.e. the numbers quoted today for the last qtr.

This is historical data, post it as such, and yet you are quoting in the current tense.

What historical data? We only know them since today, these are new numbers. I'm quoting Sony who released them today, not info that was released months ago.

While it's correct that this now seperates the gaming division from the rest of CP&S from last year, you should still specify what it is about.... In financial terms It is historical data even if this is the first public appearance of these details.

Wait, so let me get this straight, Turkish is posting old sony numbers that shows them having a profit last year when new numbers have shown that they are currently losing money? Why live in the past?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
Wait, so let me get this straight, Turkish is posting old sony numbers that shows them having a profit last year when new numbers have shown that they are currently losing money? Why live in the past?

You got it wrong. I posted new sony numbers that shows them having profit last FY.

Turkish said:
homer said:

You got it wrong. I posted new sony numbers that shows them having profit last FY.

They are not new financial numbers, they were present within the CP&D division last year, just that we the public couldn't differentiate them. All you have to do is edit the thread title a bit and put a little more explanation in your OP to avoid being deliberately misleading.

Around the Network
homer said:

From what i gather SONY has for a while now lumped their Gaming Division numbers in with their cellphones, cameras, etc...

Now they are once again showing the numbers seperate from the rest, which is why he is posting what he is. For once we are getting a clearer picture of what is going on in the Gaming division.

People really need to get off his ass about everything he posts as it really shows a lot about those who keep attacking him at every turn. Not to mention it kills any chance at a civilized discussion, although that is to be expected since any kind of good Sony related news is forbidden on VGC.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

i just wonder why there are people saying something like "ps3 shipped less than last year" and then few posts later "why do you talk about financials of last year, last year is the past, we should talk about this year"

so people use sales numbers of last year and then say someone else he shouldn't use numbers of last year?

yes these numbers are from last year but we never knew how the gaming devision did and now we know it. why this is interesting? i don't know but i read like 20 times the last months that we don't really know how sony gaming devision is doing financially and now we know it at least for last financial year. this could be as example used for that table someone had with the financials of nintendo, sony gaming devision and microsofts gaming devision since they sell consoles with the overall loss/profit.

many many users here used that to show how close sony is to a profit of almost 0 since they are in the gamning branch so where is the problem to get new numbers for taht we didn#t knew before?

TWRoO said:
Turkish said:
homer said:

They are not new financial numbers, they were present within the CP&D division last year, just that we the public couldn't differentiate them. All you have to do is edit the thread title a bit and put a little more explanation in your OP to avoid being deliberately misleading.

That makes them new numbers, we didnt know any info at all before. Just because the topic of the data is last year doesn't make them old. Old would mean I'm presenting you data you already knew. I already explained these are numbers for last FY in my OP, they could never be misleading.

TWRoO said:
Turkish said:
homer said:

His OP starts with "It made a profit last FY. 29.3b Yen=375m USD"

Yeah, we can sit here and blame him for not putting "last FY" in the title, but it is just as much the fault of all those who ONLY read the title and decided to completely skip the initial post itself.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Okay, can anyone please explain some stuff to me since I'm really pretty new to this whole financials/financial year thing, and I'm having trouble getting my head around it all.

Basically, if Turkish's figures are correct (I'm assuming they are)  - does that mean that this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144920&page= whole kerfuffle from about a month ago was way off?

Also, does this mean that SCE have posted 2 straight years of profits now (based on this: http://i.imgur.com/zYw1A.jpg since the 2011 data is incomplete), or am I missing something?

Thanks.