By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Game division made $375m profit (FY 2011)

pezus said:
crissindahouse said:
MrBubbles said:
pezus said:
MrBubbles said:

i dont see anyone having mentioned this yet...but that chart seems to say its in millions of yen and not billions which puts the profit at ~374000 not ~375000000

better luck next time. 

29,302 million yen = 29.3 billion yen

thats a comma ??  idk pez...looks like a decimal to me

and whole sony had 6.5 billion yen in sales haha. damn people please think about it before posting.

The resolution is so low that one might actually be a comma and the other a dot, but it's certainly possible both are dots.

nah all are commas. they all look like commas to me and i see no reason to put some numbers with dots between that. they would rather write 29 instead of 29.302 if it would be only 29 million yen.

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
Kresnik said:

Okay, can anyone please explain some stuff to me since I'm really pretty new to this whole financials/financial year thing, and I'm having trouble getting my head around it all.

Basically, if Turkish's figures are correct (I'm assuming they are)  - does that mean that this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144920&page= whole kerfuffle from about a month ago was way off?

Also, does this mean that SCE have posted 2 straight years of profits now (based on this: http://i.imgur.com/zYw1A.jpg since the 2011 data is incomplete), or am I missing something?

Thanks.

I'd like to know this too, I'm confused. 

I've been trying to work this out on my own since no-one else seems able to help.  As far as I can tell:

Sony (and other Japanese Corporations) refer to their financial years in terms of the year they started, so 2011 year goes from 1st of April 2011 - 31st of March 2012.

That document points to FY 2011, which according to their terms means it ran from April 2011 to March 2012.

And yeah, it points to a profit.

I've been trying to find out where the Sony information came from for FY 2010 in that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo screenshot so I can compare it to this data and be 100% sure it's correct, but Sony lump all their "consumer products and services" into one figure making it impossible to split up.  It must be out there somewhere.

Anyway, yeah.  Since no-one else has had anything to say about it all signs are pointing towards it being a profit for SCE last year, making it the second year in a row that they've posted one, and completely debunking that thread going round a month ago about them losing $1.2 billion last year.  

Kresnik said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Kresnik said:

Okay, can anyone please explain some stuff to me since I'm really pretty new to this whole financials/financial year thing, and I'm having trouble getting my head around it all.

Basically, if Turkish's figures are correct (I'm assuming they are)  - does that mean that this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144920&page= whole kerfuffle from about a month ago was way off?

Also, does this mean that SCE have posted 2 straight years of profits now (based on this: http://i.imgur.com/zYw1A.jpg since the 2011 data is incomplete), or am I missing something?

Thanks.

I've been trying to work this out on my own since no-one else seems able to help.  As far as I can tell:

Sony (and other Japanese Corporations) refer to their financial years in terms of the year they started, so 2011 year goes from 1st of April 2011 - 31st of March 2012.

That document points to FY 2011, which according to their terms means it ran from April 2011 to March 2012.

I've been trying to find out where the Sony information came from for FY 2010 in that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo screenshot so I can compare it to this data and be 100% sure it's correct, but Sony lump all their "consumer products and services" into one figure making it impossible to split up.  It must be out there somewhere.

Anyway, yeah.  Since no-one else has had anything to say about it all signs are pointing towards it being a profit for SCE last year, making it the second year in a row that they've posted one, and completely debunking that thread going round a month ago about them losing $1.2 billion last year.  

Yeh I'm clear on the financial years, but now that Japanese file that was "found on a National Printing Bureau" website" seems like a bunch of bullshit, or mistranslated at least. It sounded crazy to me at the time that they'd go straight from their first year of profit to a massive loss with just the ps3/psp on the market, but I wasn't going to question it because Sony always seems to be doing badly around here.

I guess you have to dig really deep to get some positive news for Sony around these parts. 

Kresnik said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Kresnik said:

Thanks.

Yo kresnik, Ive never seen that document. But didnt that doc come from the Japanese govt?

Sal.Paradise said:

Yeh I'm clear on the financial years, but now that Japanese file that was "found on a National Printing Bureau" website" seems like a bunch of bullshit, or mistranslated at least. It sounded crazy to me at the time that they'd go straight from their first year of profit to a massive loss with just the ps3/psp on the market, but I wasn't going to question it because Sony always seems to be doing badly around here.

I guess you have to dig really deep to get some positive news for Sony around these parts. 

Yeah, it's weird to look back and think people were so convinced by it actually.  To go from $400 million profit to $1.2 billion loss in a year was quite ridiculous to think, even with the natural disasters which really hurt production.

Anyway, I just checked GAF and the financials thread pretty much confirmed everything I'd been trying to work out for the past hour or so, lol.  $375 million profit for the past year.  Which is pretty impressive now considering the disasters last year.

I mean, it's still not great that Sony as a whole is hemorrhaging money with no end in sight, but honestly the sector I care most about is SCE and to know that they seem to have finally got a handle on things and are stabalising is really, really nice to hear. 

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Yo kresnik, Ive never seen that document. But didnt that doc come from the Japanese govt?

Hey Turkish :)

Which one, the $1.2 billion loss one?

Kresnik said:
Turkish said:

Yeah that one. I havent looked at it, probably wont today, my head hurts lol.

Turkish said:
Kresnik said:
Turkish said:

Haha, there's not much to look into really with this new information today.  The thread is  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144920&page= if you feel like reading it.

Basically, though, there were two threads - one here and one on gaf, going around linking to a document (supposedly from the Japanese Government's "National Printing Bureau") which said that Sony Computer Entertainment had lost $1.2 billion for FY 2011.  Since there wasn't any data available for it at the time, I suppose a lot of people presumed it was real.

With these new numbers today, as I was saying with Sal, it's been 2 straight years of profit from SCE.  So everyone got their knickers in a twist calling the 2010 profit from SCE a "fluke" for nothing :P

Kresnik said:
Turkish said:
Kresnik said:
Turkish said:

Haha, there's not much to look into really with this new information today.  The thread is  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144920&page= if you feel like reading it.

Basically, though, there were two threads - one here and one on gaf, going around linking to a document (supposedly from the Japanese Government's "National Printing Bureau") which said that Sony Computer Entertainment had lost $1.2 billion for FY 2011.  Since there wasn't any data available for it at the time, I suppose a lot of people presumed it was real.

With these new numbers today, as I was saying with Sal, it's been 2 straight years of profit from SCE.  So everyone got their knickers in a twist calling the 2010 profit from SCE a "fluke" for nothing :P

Man some people here are so in denial. Just look a the first pages of my other thread and see how many flamers there are. And then they call me fanatical for bringing up these facts lol.

I just realised what I was saying was wrong actually. We don't have the data to say "2 straight years of profits".

Using http://i.imgur.com/zYw1A.jpg which I love linking so much, the data for 2011 isn't accessible, because any profits or losses SCE made were hidden in 'grouped up' financials with other subsidiaries.

The $375 million profit, on that chart, would appear in the 2012 part (alongside Nintendo's $533 million loss, was wondering why that wasn't represented).

So best case scenario - 3 straight fiscal year profits for SCE (I find this likely, but there's no proof of it). Conversely, there could have been a loss in "2011" and we'd have had profits in 2 of the last 3 years.