By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SE: Almost 300 employees on FFXIV 2.0, new title releases "suffered for 2 to 3 years"

300 people....

How can anyone effectively manage that many people....are you trying to tell each person's job was imperative to development?

To be honest I'd imagine there would have been less half-stepping if the team was reduced by 60%

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
I know what you mean. Square has stretched itself over so many projects.

But at the same time it's good to see that at last things are finally moving

I am highly sceptical how half a year of focused XIVX development will cause versus to fall back 2 to 2 years.

Well, at least something.

And I still hope for new versus info and gameplay this year.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

oniyide said:
oniyide said:
so let me get this straight, they are taking resources away from games that most people actually want to play and putting them into a game that only a handful of people actually care about? Alright

This is a highly immature attitude, spamming the same shit over the forum. The fourteenth numbered Final Fantasy game is big business.

Do you have stats about the "handful of people" and the "most people". No ? Get out.

This game sold 650,000 copies since 2010, its 2012. This is an FF game and it sold that little, that is a handful of people for a franchise as big as FF, id bet dollars to donuts there are more people than that looking forward to versus in the US alone.  SO no im not going anywhere. 

that is only the PC release numbers. It is fair to assume a large chunk of people without a high spec PC is waiting for the PS3 version. I know a lot of people still waiting for it, including myself of course.

Regardless of all the opinions on this site or another, it is good to see the game is being looked at. (but.. sleeping dogs? really?)

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

rush reading is a bad habit. i thought this was about versus.

oniyide said:
oniyide said:

This game sold 650,000 copies since 2010, its 2012. This is an FF game and it sold that little, that is a handful of people for a franchise as big as FF, id bet dollars to donuts there are more people than that looking forward to versus in the US alone.  SO no im not going anywhere.

I am a very calm man and I will try to level with you.

Square Enix, a big company, a place where many people are working, made a big boo boo and they are tryin to fix it.

and you know what...thats commendable, they are trying to fix it, what i (and im sure some others) dont like is that its at the expense of other games, especially one that has been as highly anticipated as Versus 13 and the numbers speak for themselves. 650,000 for a MAINLINE FF game in two years is abysmal. Hell 11 did better than that. I think this is just a pride thing, this game was a critical and commercial failure and they cant stand that. I would've just cut my loses and just use those assests to put out more games

IIRC FFXI is one of their most profitable games. I'm sure they want a successor to it, badly, and they probably see more potential in this than creating a whole new MMORPG.

Around the Network
snfr said:
2 to 3 years... omg -_-

I'm giving up all hope now that Versus XIII will be released within the next two years...

The reason Versus or any Square game in nothing like Duke Nukem or Diablo3 and such, is because Square never made an announcement they didn't follow through or gave a dead line or a promise they couldn't keep.  

Technically, neither did 3D Relams or Blizzard. They either said "when its done" or gave a very vague estimate. Square's done virtually the same thing.

Zkuq said:
oniyide said:
oniyide said:

Square Enix, a big company, a place where many people are working, made a big boo boo and they are tryin to fix it.

and you know what...thats commendable, they are trying to fix it, what i (and im sure some others) dont like is that its at the expense of other games, especially one that has been as highly anticipated as Versus 13 and the numbers speak for themselves. 650,000 for a MAINLINE FF game in two years is abysmal. Hell 11 did better than that. I think this is just a pride thing, this game was a critical and commercial failure and they cant stand that. I would've just cut my loses and just use those assests to put out more games

IIRC FFXI is one of their most profitable games. I'm sure they want a successor to it, badly, and they probably see more potential in this than creating a whole new MMORPG.

It's going to be very difficult for them now. There's a lot more competition in the market than when they started in the MMO scene and they didn't make the best of starts with XIV. Great that they want to fix it, but I wonder if it's going to be a case of too little, too late.

To put things into perspective, Toriyama said that with XIII they had, at its peak, over 200 people working on it !

Square must mean business this time with 300. I wonder who Leonidas is...

Scoobes said:

Technically, neither did 3D Relams or Blizzard. They either said "when its done" or gave a very vague estimate. Square's done virtually the same thing.

Technically, Blizzard is shit at keeping milestones, whereas Square knows to keep their mouth shut.

deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
oniyide said:
so let me get this straight, they are taking resources away from games that most people actually want to play and putting them into a game that only a handful of people actually care about? Alright

This is a highly immature attitude, spamming the same shit over the forum. The fourteenth numbered Final Fantasy game is big business.

Do you have stats about the "handful of people" and the "most people". No ? Get out.

that is only the PC release numbers. It is fair to assume a large chunk of people without a high spec PC is waiting for the PS3 version. I know a lot of people still waiting for it, including myself of course.

Regardless of all the opinions on this site or another, it is good to see the game is being looked at. (but.. sleeping dogs? really?)

But its also an MMO, so i think its safe to assume that most of the people interested in that genre of game would buy it on PC regardless, FF or not. Hell 11 did best on the PC, i dont see why this would be any different, but who knows maybe enough time has passed that people will forget how bad FF14 was, but looking at sales of MMOs on consoles, im not gonna hold my breath

Scoobes said:
Zkuq said:
oniyide said:
oniyide said:

It's going to be very difficult for them now. There's a lot more competition in the market than when they started in the MMO scene and they didn't make the best of starts with XIV. Great that they want to fix it, but I wonder if it's going to be a case of too little, too late.

pretty much this. And they do technically have a new MMORPG, DQ10. I do see why SE would want the game to be successful, but it has been bleeding money for almost two years now, even if it does somewhat ok, it'll be released on PS3, early 2013? And the console's successor will be right around the corner. IMHO they should just cut their loses, i dont see them making whatever they lost back at this stage in the game, thats just me.