By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SE: Almost 300 employees on FFXIV 2.0, new title releases "suffered for 2 to 3 years"

Its a very questionable decision has this reboot of FFXIV is probably doomed to failure aswell. The stigma and reception of the first release cant be washed away.

Also, they would have to make huge fundamental design changes. In my opinion, they need to adopt the iconic classes from FFXI for me to even look their way. If i cant play as Black/White/Red mage, etc, its not worth my time and its not FF.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Its a very questionable decision has this reboot of FFXIV is probably doomed to failure aswell. The stigma and reception of the first release cant be washed away.

Also, they would have to make huge fundamental design changes. In my opinion, they need to adopt the iconic classes from FFXI for me to even look their way. If i cant play as Black/White/Red mage, etc, its not worth my time and its not FF.

I guess we'll be finding out soon enough if people are willing to give it a second go

Over 70,000 copies for the PS3 version are already pre-ordered, judging by vgchartz, and that is without a release date. A number of people want this game. It should sell about 300k in the U.S. in its life time sales, maybe 100k in Japan, and another 100k for Europe. Not bad I say. If SE is pouring a shit load of money in this title, then trust me, it will be printing alot of moulah for them ahhahaha

This will be the most expensive game ever :-O

oniyide said:
deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
oniyide said:
so let me get this straight, they are taking resources away from games that most people actually want to play and putting them into a game that only a handful of people actually care about? Alright

This is a highly immature attitude, spamming the same shit over the forum. The fourteenth numbered Final Fantasy game is big business.

Do you have stats about the "handful of people" and the "most people". No ? Get out.

This game sold 650,000 copies since 2010, its 2012. This is an FF game and it sold that little, that is a handful of people for a franchise as big as FF, id bet dollars to donuts there are more people than that looking forward to versus in the US alone.  SO no im not going anywhere. 

that is only the PC release numbers. It is fair to assume a large chunk of people without a high spec PC is waiting for the PS3 version. I know a lot of people still waiting for it, including myself of course.

Regardless of all the opinions on this site or another, it is good to see the game is being looked at. (but.. sleeping dogs? really?)

But its also an MMO, so i think its safe to assume that most of the people interested in that genre of game would buy it on PC regardless, FF or not. Hell 11 did best on the PC, i dont see why this would be any different, but who knows maybe enough time has passed that people will forget how bad FF14 was, but looking at sales of MMOs on consoles, im not gonna hold my breath

Why you ignore the images I posted? Coming from GT it clearly shows which platform it is being looked at most. I'm not assuming anything either, its right there clear as daylight.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
Noel_Kreiss said:
Over 70,000 copies for the PS3 version are already pre-ordered, judging by vgchartz, and that is without a release date. A number of people want this game. It should sell about 300k in the U.S. in its life time sales, maybe 100k in Japan, and another 100k for Europe. Not bad I say. If SE is pouring a shit load of money in this title, then trust me, it will be printing alot of moulah for them ahhahaha

But thats less than what the PC version sold and its costing SE money right now, just to keep it free. What makes you think that the more expensive PS3 version will make them money? Especially if it sells less? Just asking

deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
oniyide said:
so let me get this straight, they are taking resources away from games that most people actually want to play and putting them into a game that only a handful of people actually care about? Alright

This is a highly immature attitude, spamming the same shit over the forum. The fourteenth numbered Final Fantasy game is big business.

Do you have stats about the "handful of people" and the "most people". No ? Get out.

This game sold 650,000 copies since 2010, its 2012. This is an FF game and it sold that little, that is a handful of people for a franchise as big as FF, id bet dollars to donuts there are more people than that looking forward to versus in the US alone.  SO no im not going anywhere. 

that is only the PC release numbers. It is fair to assume a large chunk of people without a high spec PC is waiting for the PS3 version. I know a lot of people still waiting for it, including myself of course.

Regardless of all the opinions on this site or another, it is good to see the game is being looked at. (but.. sleeping dogs? really?)

But its also an MMO, so i think its safe to assume that most of the people interested in that genre of game would buy it on PC regardless, FF or not. Hell 11 did best on the PC, i dont see why this would be any different, but who knows maybe enough time has passed that people will forget how bad FF14 was, but looking at sales of MMOs on consoles, im not gonna hold my breath

Why you ignore the images I posted? Coming from GT it clearly shows which platform it is being looked at most. I'm not assuming anything either, its right there clear as daylight.

those images dont tell me much, there arent any numbers attached to that list. Another guy posted its a 70,000 preorders for the PS3 version, not horrible but that is below most FFs and below most popular MMOs. Why ignore the sales of the PC version. I'm only going by the numbers of copies sold already.

oniyide said:
Noel_Kreiss said:

But thats less than what the PC version sold and its costing SE money right now, just to keep it free. What makes you think that the more expensive PS3 version will make them money? Especially if it sells less? Just asking

Well as an fyi, its no longer free, people are now paying to play FFXIV (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Star-Charging-Money-on-January-6-Offers-Discount-for-Loyal-Players-239486.shtml). Consequently, it should not be losing money as much. Square Enix is seeing this as a long-term investment and are trying the same formula as FXI (people still playing and paying for it even though the game is 10 yrs old). Even if the game sells more or less, its really how much people are willing to stay, play, and pay that counts. For example, if over a million copies are sold and only 100k plays compared to over 500k sold and 200k playing, its a better investment to have the latter as it will provide revenue.

Final Fantasy XI was by far Square Enix's worst selling Final Fantasy (I'm not even it sure the base game broke a million), but it was their most profitable game of all time.

Just sayin'.

Noel_Kreiss said:
oniyide said:
Noel_Kreiss said:

Well as an fyi, its no longer free, people are now paying to play FFXIV (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Star-Charging-Money-on-January-6-Offers-Discount-for-Loyal-Players-239486.shtml). Consequently, it should not be losing money as much. Square Enix is seeing this as a long-term investment and are trying the same formula as FXI (people still playing and paying for it even though the game is 10 yrs old). Even if the game sells more or less, its really how much people are willing to stay, play, and pay that counts. For example, if over a million copies are sold and only 100k plays compared to over 500k sold and 200k playing, its a better investment to have the latter as it will provide revenue.

Thats interesting you raise a good point, which brings me to my next one.  They started charging since the start of the year, so its only been roughly half a year, now how much of those people actually stuck around?? Looking at the sales, its not like there was a massive increase since the start of the year, so yeah subscriptions do matter, but you actually have to have people get the thing to use em.