By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SE: Almost 300 employees on FFXIV 2.0, new title releases "suffered for 2 to 3 years"

makingmusic476 said:
Final Fantasy XI was by far Square Enix's worst selling Final Fantasy (I'm not even it sure the base game broke a million), but it was their most profitable game of all time.

Just sayin'.

why do people keep bringing up that game? It already proved itself, that has nothing to do with FF14, which has yet to prove itself, it hasnt been profitable and it hasnt been a success 

Around the Network
oniyide said:
makingmusic476 said:
Final Fantasy XI was by far Square Enix's worst selling Final Fantasy (I'm not even it sure the base game broke a million), but it was their most profitable game of all time.

Just sayin'.

why do people keep bringing up that game? It already proved itself, that has nothing to do with FF14, which has yet to prove itself, it hasnt been profitable and it hasnt been a success 

The point is that FFXIV's low sales aren't taht big a deal if they can get a decent subscriber base.

Whether that happens remains to be seen, but saying the game sold "below most FFs" means squat.

oniyide said:
deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
oniyide said:
so let me get this straight, they are taking resources away from games that most people actually want to play and putting them into a game that only a handful of people actually care about? Alright

This is a highly immature attitude, spamming the same shit over the forum. The fourteenth numbered Final Fantasy game is big business.

Do you have stats about the "handful of people" and the "most people". No ? Get out.

This game sold 650,000 copies since 2010, its 2012. This is an FF game and it sold that little, that is a handful of people for a franchise as big as FF, id bet dollars to donuts there are more people than that looking forward to versus in the US alone.  SO no im not going anywhere. 

that is only the PC release numbers. It is fair to assume a large chunk of people without a high spec PC is waiting for the PS3 version. I know a lot of people still waiting for it, including myself of course.

Regardless of all the opinions on this site or another, it is good to see the game is being looked at. (but.. sleeping dogs? really?)

But its also an MMO, so i think its safe to assume that most of the people interested in that genre of game would buy it on PC regardless, FF or not. Hell 11 did best on the PC, i dont see why this would be any different, but who knows maybe enough time has passed that people will forget how bad FF14 was, but looking at sales of MMOs on consoles, im not gonna hold my breath

Why you ignore the images I posted? Coming from GT it clearly shows which platform it is being looked at most. I'm not assuming anything either, its right there clear as daylight.

those images dont tell me much, there arent any numbers attached to that list. Another guy posted its a 70,000 preorders for the PS3 version, not horrible but that is below most FFs and below most popular MMOs. Why ignore the sales of the PC version. I'm only going by the numbers of copies sold already.

the thing is, those images shows ranking base on users interest. in my previous post i mention not many people was in possession of a high spec PC at the time of its release, and they're still waiting for the ps3 version up until this day because they don't want to build or buy a new PC just for one game. Why ignore the console players? people are either slightly less or equally interested in owning it on ps3, or both systems. The good news is 2.0 will be less taxing on PC so that even lower specs can run it. If more people have access to it the better.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I dont know how many people actually play 14 (I do!) but the game, even in its failure state, still has many many people logging onto it. I play on Aegis and there are many westerners and probably triple the number of Japanese players. If SE didnt believe that there was no future in the game, they would have not gone through with the massive change. It sucks that it put pretty much every game on the back burner for two plus years, but...

The thing is... the MMO market from nowadays isnt the MMO market when FFXI launched. There is fierce competition and a few good games to choose from.

FF has to pull off a game that really appeals to fans or its losing its time. I am curious to see what is they redone to the game besides graphics.

Selling 300k is not good enough for any FF game and subscriptions are alot more difficult to keep and justify next to some of the free to play models.

Around the Network

If they're rebuilding it from scratch, I really think they should give it another name because right now "Final Fantasy XIV" is associated with bad reviews/impressions.

Signature goes here!

hmm not sure if this is fair for people who have to wait longer for other games now. i mean, what would be more fair, people having to wait longer for their games because of the development of this game or people who want ffXIV waiting longer for this game which is the reason for all the problems?

but square is a company, they do what they think is best for them and i can understand this but just talking about the fans, i think this is pretty bad and unfair.

makingmusic476 said:
oniyide said:
makingmusic476 said:

Just sayin'.

The point is that FFXIV's low sales aren't taht big a deal if they can get a decent subscriber base.

Whether that happens remains to be seen, but saying the game sold "below most FFs" means squat.

fair enough, but people would actually have to BUY the game to subscribe, and how much subscribers would they need for it to be successful.

deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
deskpro2k3 said:
oniyide said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
oniyide said:
so let me get this straight, they are taking resources away from games that most people actually want to play and putting them into a game that only a handful of people actually care about? Alright

This is a highly immature attitude, spamming the same shit over the forum. The fourteenth numbered Final Fantasy game is big business.

Do you have stats about the "handful of people" and the "most people". No ? Get out.

This game sold 650,000 copies since 2010, its 2012. This is an FF game and it sold that little, that is a handful of people for a franchise as big as FF, id bet dollars to donuts there are more people than that looking forward to versus in the US alone.  SO no im not going anywhere. 

that is only the PC release numbers. It is fair to assume a large chunk of people without a high spec PC is waiting for the PS3 version. I know a lot of people still waiting for it, including myself of course.

Regardless of all the opinions on this site or another, it is good to see the game is being looked at. (but.. sleeping dogs? really?)

But its also an MMO, so i think its safe to assume that most of the people interested in that genre of game would buy it on PC regardless, FF or not. Hell 11 did best on the PC, i dont see why this would be any different, but who knows maybe enough time has passed that people will forget how bad FF14 was, but looking at sales of MMOs on consoles, im not gonna hold my breath

Why you ignore the images I posted? Coming from GT it clearly shows which platform it is being looked at most. I'm not assuming anything either, its right there clear as daylight.

those images dont tell me much, there arent any numbers attached to that list. Another guy posted its a 70,000 preorders for the PS3 version, not horrible but that is below most FFs and below most popular MMOs. Why ignore the sales of the PC version. I'm only going by the numbers of copies sold already.

the thing is, those images shows ranking base on users interest. in my previous post i mention not many people was in possession of a high spec PC at the time of its release, and they're still waiting for the ps3 version up until this day because they don't want to build or buy a new PC just for one game. Why ignore the console players? people are either slightly less or equally interested in owning it on ps3, or both systems. The good news is 2.0 will be less taxing on PC so that even lower specs can run it. If more people have access to it the better.

ok, fair enough this makes sense. Did you really need a high end PC just to run the game? Cause that would explain some things. I have no issue with them trying to improve, my problem is that its at the expense of other games. Excuse me for being a bit skeptical that it will all be worth it in the end. BUt for SE's sake I hope it does turn around, i dont really get a kick out of seeing a series I usually liked to be the laughingstock of the gaming world, MMO or otherwise

crissindahouse said:

hmm not sure if this is fair for people who have to wait longer for other games now. i mean, what would be more fair, people having to wait longer for their games because of the development of this game or people who want ffXIV waiting longer for this game which is the reason for all the problems?

but square is a company, they do what they think is best for them and i can understand this but just talking about the fans, i think this is pretty bad and unfair.

this is how I feel