By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Chik-Fil-A Gay Fallout

badgenome said:
Pretty hilarious that Dan Cathy is a fucking pariah for holding the exact same viewpoint on gay marriage that Obama espoused up until about a month ago - by people who have, figuratively speaking, sucked Obama's dick at every turn.

It's quite simply not true.  Publicly espoused opinions for the sake of political viability are nto necessarily the same as reality.  The Obama administration and his campaign did lots of groundwork behind the scenes to change the climate on this issue.  It's not an accident that DADT was ended first, followed after a good break by his "change" in marriage stance.  It's very carefully strategized over the long term to progress the argument, allowing the issues to develop seemingly "naturally" over time versus forced as an agenda item.  When that is tried, it fails. (On more than just this one issue.)    

The gay rights movement as a whole has moved more quickly than any other civil rights-type issue.  I'ts only been 50-ish years since Stonewall and 30 years since the explosion in activism that accompanied the near ignoring of AIDS early on.  Compare that to the hundreds of years for things like women's rights and the slow march from slavery to Emancipation to Jim Crow to Civil Rights.  

It's lightning fast.  The difference just in the 10-15 years is simply extraordinary in a country our size where things move fairly slowly due to the way the republic is constructed.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network

I'll be honest. I hate chik-fil-a. Their sandwiches taste bad, their fries suck, and they are vastly overpriced and aren't open every day. I'm glad I am not in college any more where sometimes they were the only thing close open on certain days. Ick. The worst. And yes, this was just me bashing on their food.

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

fastyxx said:

It's quite simply not true.  Publicly espoused opinions for the sake of political viability are nto necessarily the same as reality.

So his throwing gays under the bus and scraping and bowing before the likes of Rick Warren was okay because all the Smart People knew he was really just lying the whole time so as not to piss off the stupid homophobic rubes whose votes he needed to win, and that's why they didn't raise Cain about it? Not because he's on Their Side and they're all stupid partisan hacks who don't call down friendly fire regardless of what he does?

Yeah, I'm not buying that at all.

Mr Khan said:
Of course, now the company is backpedaling after the president recently declared that people who support gay marriage are "arrogant" in their effort to redefine the term, saying that the debate should be left up to the political/public arena. I wonder if that means they'll stop donating to anti-gay organizations (something that very much bothers me for different reasons than my support of LGBT rights. With all the suffering people in the world, you're taking your money and spending it on trying to stop people from getting married? Forget you.)

Have they really given money to an anti gay organizations? I don't mean organizations that support Christianity or conservative values. I mean have they supported groups that focus entirely on being anti gay?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

To me a lot of this seems like opportunism. An opportunity to bash the christian view. It's one thing to disagree, another to step on people's rights and freedom to believe in their own morals.

I'm starting to hate this democracy.

But before I get really irritated, can someone bring up the facts I've read through the article and all I've found are claims but no quotes...

Around the Network

Politics is the power game of hate and fear propaganda to divide and conquer.

happydolphin said:
To me a lot of this seems like opportunism. An opportunity to bash the christian view. It's one thing to disagree, another to step on people's rights and freedom to believe in their own morals.

But before I get really irritated, can someone bring up the facts I've read through the article and all I've found are claims but no quotes...

Show me where Christ condemned same-sex marriage or any aspect of homosexuality. Show me where he ever said anything that contradicted "treat thy neighbor as you would treat thyself". Stop calling the opposition to same-sex marriage Christian, it is inherently anti-Christian. Here are a couple fun facts about marriage. It's not a Christian institution, it's not even a religious one (so why is it that a group of Christians get to define it?). Traditional marriage didn't allow interracial marriage, was that really worth defending? Traditionally marriage treated the woman as property and wedlock was merely the exchange of goods to ensure exclusive sexual access to the newly acquired property. Are we not supposed to advance as a society?

Edit: Opposition to same-sex marriage has no moral basis in the teachings of Christ. If you believe that there is then you are sorely misinformed. By the looks of things a lot of people should read this:

http://nothingistic.org/library/jefferson/jesus/jesus01.html

happydolphin said:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/chickfila.asp

@Kasz. The mayor thing I'm not sure if it's inappropriate or not. Writing a letter saying he doesn't like the company isn't the same as using his powers to stop the company, he is allowed to have opinions both personally and in his capacity as mayor. The Alderman thing is definitely not right though.

@badgenome. Obama's half-arsed position of 'evolving views' (which was political speak for, I think any definite answer will piss somebody off) isn't the same as the position of 'only biblical marriage should be legal and we will donate money to groups who oppose gay marriage'.

who cares... I'm anti-special-rights you don't get special rights because you choose to be different