By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - London 2012 Olympic Games-The Paralympics begin, opening ceremony on now!

Tagged games:

Will you watch the paralympics?

Yes! 66 75.86%

No! 0 0%

Only a little... 0 0%

See results 1 1.15%

Total:67
Conegamer said:
The Fury said:
Question about the rowing. What is Final B? And what happens if a final B team get a better time that final A?

The B final is like the loser's consolation prize. It had no relation to anything else, and theres no medals, regardless of how well you did.

Seems a bit pointless to me.

Seems very pointless. "You lost and are not in the final but row anyway... for fun, it'll cheer you up."

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

C'mon Ainslie!!

The Fury said:
Conegamer said:
The Fury said:
Question about the rowing. What is Final B? And what happens if a final B team get a better time that final A?

The B final is like the loser's consolation prize. It had no relation to anything else, and theres no medals, regardless of how well you did.

Seems a bit pointless to me.

Seems very pointless. "You lost and are not in the final but row anyway... for fun, it'll cheer you up."

It's goes towards the teams overall standing. The "B" final determines 7th to 12th which seeds them for the world championships, therefore avoiding the preliminary rounds.

Something like that.

justinian said:
Haha! Just made a £20.00 wager with an American workmate who claimed that GB cannot win more than one gold in an event that doesn't involve "sitting on your ass".

"Sitting on your ass" events are cycling, rowing, canoeing, equestrian etc.,

Do "standing around doing nothing" events like shooting and archery count? Cos apparently GB are looking good for a gold in Trap shooting today. Then they'll get at least one in swimming or something and you can collect, or take his/her thumbs

thehusbo said:
justinian said:
thehusbo said:
Anyone else finding it a bit boring that china and the USA are just winning everything? Seriously nearly every event im watching there's a Chinese guy/girl winning the event and also breaking a world record..

I don't know which games you are watching but according to the BBC, China has broken only one record, Ye in the 400m swimming.

Maybe you are getting the countries mixed-up, it's easy enough.

According to Guiness World Records up-to-date record info:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/summer-of-champions/records-broken-so-far

They've broken a number of world records in weight lifting aswell.

Yep, I must have missed that. They (China) have broken two records in weightlighting (4 gold total). N.Korea have also broken two records in weightlighting (3 gold). You may have unknowingly credited all four records to china.

But yeah, it was more than the one I initialy stated so I was wrong there. It is now China with 3 world records. For comparison sake USA have broken 2 world records so far based on a single performance at this olympics.

Around the Network

For people saying we've had a horrific start to the Olympics: Look at how we did in this games compared to Beijing:

As I said, we REALLY get the vast majority of our medals in that middle weekend and second week. So don't worry!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Anyone rooting for GB in football? Its GB then Japan for me.

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

allblue said:

I think there could be a few medals in events like this. Football we have both teams in the quarters. We've won every game in hockey, and Murray is in the semis of the Tennis. The 2 British teams in the C2 Canoe Slalom are currently in 1st and 3rd overall, and are guaranteed to be in the Final. A Judo athelete is in the semis later today also, and we're favourites in the shooting. I wouldn't have predicted any medal chances in any of these events as we came into the games.

Then we have Atheletics, with Ouraragu, Idowu, Farah and others looking for Gold, with 7 medals in Athletics predicted, including 3 Golds. And Cycling Track, where we won, an unbelievable, 7 from 10 gold medals, and plenty of Silvers and Bronzes. And Rowing, and Sailing...

We could do well here. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
allblue said:

I think there could be a few medals in events like this. Football we have both teams in the quarters. We've won every game in hockey, and Murray is in the semis of the Tennis. The 2 British teams in the C2 Canoe Slalom are currently in 1st and 3rd overall, and are guaranteed to be in the Final. A Judo athelete is in the semis later today also, and we're favourites in the shooting. I wouldn't have predicted any medal chances in any of these events as we came into the gamess.

I think the quantity of medals are unfairly distributed. Swimming is one particular for example they have 17 events for each gender, 34 overall, and each event last 2 mintues max meaning countries strong in swimming (US, China, Aus) can haul up medals way ahead of other countries. In contrast, olympics football last for 2 weeks, averaging about 3-7 matches for each team, all in the end narrowing down to just three medals to compete for. 

They should either add more medals for other events or expand the criteria for medal qualification in swimming (winner in multiple events within same swimming style etc).

Still I'm incredibly proud of the Brits, they're almost always positive regardless of the color of medal they win or the quantity, its mostly about fairplay and sportsmanship. 

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

justinian said:
thehusbo said:
justinian said:
thehusbo said:
Anyone else finding it a bit boring that china and the USA are just winning everything? Seriously nearly every event im watching there's a Chinese guy/girl winning the event and also breaking a world record..

I don't know which games you are watching but according to the BBC, China has broken only one record, Ye in the 400m swimming.

Maybe you are getting the countries mixed-up, it's easy enough.

According to Guiness World Records up-to-date record info:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/summer-of-champions/records-broken-so-far

They've broken a number of world records in weight lifting aswell.

Yep, I must have missed that. They (China) have broken two records in weightlighting (4 gold total). N.Korea have also broken two records in weightlighting (3 gold). You may have unknowingly credited all four records to china.

But yeah, it was more than the one I initialy stated so I was wrong there. It is now China with 3 world records. For comparison sake USA have broken 2 world records so far based on a single performance at this olympics.

Ye I probably did confuse north Korea with china. I saw the names and assumed they were Chinese :) easy mistake I guess lol