By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - London 2012 Olympic Games-The Paralympics begin, opening ceremony on now!

Tagged games:

Will you watch the paralympics?

Yes! 66 75.86%

No! 0 0%

Only a little... 0 0%

See results 1 1.15%

Total:67

Ah fuck, just saw a preview of the opening ceremony on TV...It looks FUCKING SHIT..

Around the Network
thehusbo said:
Conegamer said:
thehusbo said:
Really looking forward to the opening ceremony later! I've been lucky enough to walk around the Olympic park in several occasions and go to the world diving championships in the aquatic centre and it's looking excellent. I'm sure it will be a good show.

Nice! Have you been in the Velodrome by any chance? Now that's a nice building!

And the Basketball centre as well. It's huge for a temporary building!

Ye I've been in the velodrome. It's a fantastic building and the inside looks just as stunning as the outside. My concern however is what will happen with all these buildings when it's all over.. The amount of money put into it I just don't see how they wil make it all back.

Nice! I'd imagine the buildings will be used, or most of them. Isn't there supposed to be an F1 track at the end through the park? And the swimming halls could easily be used, the village as flats and hotels...it should be fine!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

man-bear-pig said:
Ah fuck, just saw a preview of the opening ceremony on TV...It looks FUCKING SHIT..

You finally seen it? I saw it yesterday, and thought "Beds? Dancing madmen? Angels? WTH IS THIS???"

We shall see. I want to see where the spider, the chickens, the cows, the rain, the pigs, the nurses and the other stuff come into it

spurgeonryan said:
So let me get this straight---------Last time you guys pushed out 47 medals in China ( The country you sort of basically owned for 100 years) and now you expect to jump up to the 90's?

Stop being a Dingy Bird Conegamer and give us a proper Prediction, instead of what you gave us.

Yes. We got 1 (one) Gold in 1996. We've never been in better shape! 

And the home games tend to give you an extra 10-15% on top of your medals table, even as high as 20%. And the funding has quadrupled from Beijing. And Brits are far more dominant now than they used to be. I stick by 80-90 medals for the UK, and 3rd overall. 

kowenicki said:
Sounds like the opening ceremony will be quintessentially British.

So no chest beating with ridiculous scale. Just quirky and different with a touch of humour and some great music hopefully.

The last opening ceremony in China was impressive, massive but cold imo. I suppose that reflects what China wanted to do. It was about a statement of intent on the world stage.

I'm really looking forward to sitting down and watching it with my family in a few short hours.

Well, it should certainly be different anyway...

I have faith in the organisers. Let's hope they can deliver.

So the question is: Will Steve Redgrave, David Beckham, or someone else, light the cauldron?

Around the Network

i hope it will be a ceremony representing the country and not only a huge fake show to impress everyone. i love if those shows representing really what the country is.

Conegamer said:
thehusbo said:
Conegamer said:
thehusbo said:
Really looking forward to the opening ceremony later! I've been lucky enough to walk around the Olympic park in several occasions and go to the world diving championships in the aquatic centre and it's looking excellent. I'm sure it will be a good show.

Ye I've been in the velodrome. It's a fantastic building and the inside looks just as stunning as the outside. My concern however is what will happen with all these buildings when it's all over.. The amount of money put into it I just don't see how they wil make it all back.

Nice! I'd imagine the buildings will be used, or most of them. Isn't there supposed to be an F1 track at the end through the park? And the swimming halls could easily be used, the village as flats and hotels...it should be fine!

Yep theyre in the process of building a track in the park. Not sure when it will be completed though. The flats in the Olympic village are gonna be sold of to the public, but my main concern is going to be with the main stadium. There's no way west ham will be able to fill the thing. If it actually does become west hams home ground then the government will be losing huge amounts. Also Stratford and the surrounding areas are not well off exactly well off. Despite the renovation that's gone on there i just don't see it being sustainable. 

kowenicki said:
spurgeonryan said:
So let me get this straight---------Last time you guys pushed out 47 medals in China ( The country you sort of basically owned for 100 years) and now you expect to jump up to the 90's?

Stop being a Dingy Bird Conegamer and give us a proper Prediction, instead of what you gave us.

46 was a massive perfoirmance for th UK. Matching that would do me.  Beating that would be immense.  How the hell does the UK finish 4th in the Olympic games?

2 words: Lottery funding.

You give the people a role model, throw money at them, and expect little, you get a lot. That inspires more and more people, giving us more and more top class atheletes, and more medals.

So..... hows the opening ceremony compared to China?

They don't show it here in New York on T.V. until 6 and a half hours.

thehusbo said:
Conegamer said:
thehusbo said:
Conegamer said:
thehusbo said:

Yep theyre in the process of building a track in the park. Not sure when it will be completed though. The flats in the Olympic village are gonna be sold of to the public, but my main concern is going to be with the main stadium. There's no way west ham will be able to fill the thing. If it actually does become west hams home ground then the government will be losing huge amounts. Also Stratford and the surrounding areas are not well off exactly well off. Despite the renovation that's gone on there i just don't see it being sustainable. 

True, that's my biggest concern. They'll never make money back on that, but the rest of it should be profitable enough to make up for the shortfall.

Whatever happened to the bird's nest stadium anyway?