By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - London 2012 Olympic Games-The Paralympics begin, opening ceremony on now!

Tagged games:

Will you watch the paralympics?

Yes! 66 75.86%

No! 0 0%

Only a little... 0 0%

See results 1 1.15%

Total:67

didn't watch the closing ceremony so can't comment,but good for brasil now with world cup and olympics,sounds expensive,first time in south america too,i know it was in mexico

Above & Beyond

Around the Network

The closing was far too long with many nobodies just trying to promote their careers. Only decent bits were parts that weren't just bands playing music. Darcey Bussell bit for example.

Overall the games were great. Although I have huge criticism over certain aspects.

The media's obsession with Jessica Ennis was my main one, yes she did well but she won something we've won before, she was said to be highlighted as face of the games but in the end I just didn't like this. This face was one that was expected to win. She wasn't the first ever Brit to win 10,000 metres. She wasn't part of the many golds won by our Women in Rowing, the first time ever. She wasn't one of the 2 most decorated British Olympians in history. She wasn't most successful Olympian sailor ever. She wasn't the first ever female boxer to win a medal. She wasn't Phelps, the most successful Olympian ever.

... stupid media.

Oh, while many say BBC Sports Personality of the Year will be hard this year, it still won't. Wiggins will win it based on what he actually did. Won Le Tour.

There is also talk of knighting Farah and Wiggins, bit silly considering they haven't even been honoured yet.

Hmm, pie.

Oh and the Tom Daley crap was annoying me, I'm glad he did 'badly'. So many great people achieved more than he did.

... god I'm bitter today.

Hmm, pie.

I think tom daley was just so happy he won a medal and he didnt care what color it was.

The Fury said:
The closing was far too long with many nobodies just trying to promote their careers. Only decent bits were parts that weren't just bands playing music. Darcey Bussell bit for example.

Overall the games were great. Although I have huge criticism over certain aspects.

The media's obsession with Jessica Ennis was my main one, yes she did well but she won something we've won before, she was said to be highlighted as face of the games but in the end I just didn't like this. This face was one that was expected to win. She wasn't the first ever Brit to win 10,000 metres. She wasn't part of the many golds won by our Women in Rowing, the first time ever. She wasn't one of the 2 most decorated British Olympians in history. She wasn't most successful Olympian sailor ever. She wasn't the first ever female boxer to win a medal. She wasn't Phelps, the most successful Olympian ever.

... stupid media.

Oh, while many say BBC Sports Personality of the Year will be hard this year, it still won't. Wiggins will win it based on what he actually did. Won Le Tour.

There is also talk of knighting Farah and Wiggins, bit silly considering they haven't even been honoured yet.

Rightly or wrongly some Olympic events are just seen as more important than others, with athletics top of the pile. I suppose they're more competitive than some of the others like cycling and sailing which don't have the same popularity worldwide. As for the boxing, I think that achievement has been talked up a bit too, given that two more golds were won by women later that afternoon. I don't know that scheduling should impact on the importance of the achievement.

It doesn't hurt that Ennis is gorgeous either.

Around the Network

So proud of GB with this Olympics.

We hosted everything well & we did well too.

BEst of luck Rio...2016 seems eons away right now

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
So proud of GB with this Olympics.

We hosted everything well & we did well too.

BEst of luck Rio...2016 seems eons away right now

I remember saying the same thing when it was announced London would get it and at the end of Beijing

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

kennyrester said:

Rightly or wrongly some Olympic events are just seen as more important than others, with athletics top of the pile. I suppose they're more competitive than some of the others like cycling and sailing which don't have the same popularity worldwide. As for the boxing, I think that achievement has been talked up a bit too, given that two more golds were won by women later that afternoon. I don't know that scheduling should impact on the importance of the achievement.

It doesn't hurt that Ennis is gorgeous either.

Some might be but I think there should go on recognition of achievement rather then just who's popular.

One thing I nearly wrote in to BBC about in complaint was last Saturday. One the same althletics day, we won a gold in heptathlon, gold in long jump and then gold in 10,000 metres. On BBC coverage then did it in the order of Heptathlon, 10,000 metre then Long jump. Ennis had a special feature on her, so did Farah. Rutherford had just highlights of his jumps. Ennis was favourited in this case and then Farah above Rutherford. It should have been done fairly, as all are gold in the end, so it should have been done in order of getting them not favouritism. If it was recognition, Farah should have been first (first british 10k winner) then Rutherford (first gold in long jump for 40 years or so), then Ennis. 

But hey, I'm in a moany mood today. :)

Hmm, pie.

I'm a little disappointed with Brazil. I think my county had great chances to take two or three more gold medals.

Even so that's the best olympic games for Brazil in medal counts (17 overall).

The Brazil record for Gold is still Atenas-2004 (5 Golds).

Jicale said:
Pretty excited! Foxtel here in Australia has 8 channels dedicated to it.

I'm hanging for the Marathon. Kenya has an insane team, 3 sub 2:05 runners which just blows the mind that these people can run at sub 3 minute km pace for 42.2kms.

Gymastics is always awesome to watch the strength and ability on show is amazing.

And Bolt vs Blake. The training partners. Blake coming in with a win at 9:75 over Bolt. Its whether or not Bolt will perform. The 100m is set to be pretty exciting.

Otherwise all the sports are pretty cool to watch, personally I don't get into sailing and the horse stuff.

I am definitely with you here. The horse crap doesn't need to be in the Olympics, that needs to be scrapped immediately. The rowing can stay as it actually demands your athletic ability. Riding a horse is only about controlling it and forcing it to do as you please. That doesn't make one an Olympian.