By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Old PC games - Share your memories

Hi guys, I regularly reminisce on some of my early experiences with PC gaming.

Every now and then I'll catch myself thinking about some of the old games I used to play on my 386 as a kid. Can you name some you liked? I'll start:

It was an era where being cool didn't matter, what mattered was that your games were fun. And fun this was. In sim farm the computer was doing alot of things for the player, calculating seasons and weather patterns. There was a variety of crops to choose from, some needing irration, some less, you could store crops into different sized shacks and silos, and some crops would make you a fortune (oranges). At the same time, it was possible to raise animals and get them to participate in town fares and contests. You could buy plows and vehicles and go on being rich.

It was a really great game, purely good, no bells and whistles it was just a good game.

Around the Network

Mafia

I remember driving like a madman killing everyone and getting nightmares about it later on.. >_>

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

My first PC games were Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast, Kid Chameleon... games like that

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

While my friends were playing games like Mario or Sonic I was entertained  with this masterpiece:

Gremlin I really miss you!

I had a Tandy 1000 and I remember playing Kings Quest IV, but not understanding anything about it. I had a stack of bootleg games, but I can't remember anything specific. In school we had Apple 2s and I remember playing Oregon Trail and some terrible edutainment games like Math Blasters.

When I got older and my family got a Windows 95 Pentium 100mhz machine I remember playing Doom, Doom 2, and Dark Forces like nothing else existed. Later I got into Command and Conquer and Red Alert.

I upgraded the video card to a 4mb Screaming 3D, the processor to 133mhz, and doubled the ram to 32mbs. With that I was able to play my favorite FPS Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 as well as Quake, Quake 2, and Duke Nukem 3D. That was pretty much my high school years.

Of course after that I started building my own PC gaming rigs and I've been playing PC games ever since.

I've since gotten into vintage computing and now have computers from Atari and Commodore as well as a working 386turbo Windows 3.1 machine that I build into a end table. Most of my vintage computing stuff is part of my vast Donkey Kong collection. I have nearly every system and computer that ran ports of the arcade classic.

Around the Network

Does anyone remember Comander Keen? The one I played was called "Goodbye Galaxy!"

Amazing game. The last levels were fantastic.

What about... Tie Fighter? :)

I didn't play this one as much, mostly watched my brothers play it, but still good memories.

I remember this dinosaur game on my PC. I remember it feeling like a strange 3d maze and being killed by dinosaurs. I also remember using 3d glasses with it (the red and blue filmed glasses).

I can't for the life of me remember it.. but it was a pretty old game.

That and Ski Free. x_x

One of the first games I ever played was this.

How I comprhended it at Gradeschool, i'm still unsure.

Early PC games I remember playing (which seem a bit later than the ones you guys are listing!)

Zoombinis (excellent maths game, btw)

Magic Carpet

Championship Manager... 2?

Excellent memories of these 3 games :)

Three of my absolute favorites.

Lords of the Realm II (1995) - a turn based + RTS combo strategy game just like the Total War series.

Conquests of Camelot (1989) - A classic Sierra point & click, my favorite adventure game of all time

Warlords II (1993) - turn based strategy. I put so many hours into this including many hot-seat multiplayer sessions with my friends.