By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U CPU Weaker than PS360

Damnyouall said:
I think it's quite a big deal when an UPCOMING console isn't even as powerful as 7-year-old video game systems.

"Weaker CPU" and "not as powerful as a whole" are 2 different things. I am not a hardware expert by any means but  I think I read that the Wii U has some stuff that reliefs the CPU from certain tasks.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network

great news! obviously if the cpu is slow that means more time will be spent on gameplay!!

mothman said:

Sorry, I've just grown tired of the daily Wii U is this and Wii U is that threads and articles.

The issue is the tendency of humans to take the tiniest off-hand remark/opinion and attempt to spin it into something important. 

In the words of the immortal Bill Murray, "It just doesn't matter!" 

I totally know how you feel about that. I'm personally saturated with Nintendo doom calls personally. I was saturated with it last year, and I'm again saturated. Here, look at the dates on these two threads of mine, each at two different levels of saturation with Nintendo doom :)

May 2011: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=129268

July 2012: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=145165

So I know how you feel. It doesn't help that people extrapolate too much from the speculative threads that it would rub us the wrong way.

These are normal comments for developers working on a new system for the first time. It doesn't tell us much.

Mr Khan said:
Damnyouall said:
I think it's quite a big deal when an UPCOMING console isn't even as powerful as 7-year-old video game systems.

Happened with Wii, whose processor was 4 Mhz slower than the Xbox's.

What's different? Higher RAM, which devs have complained of and is widely understood as the major bottleneck for PS360 development currently, and a GPU capable of more modern effects, by all accounts.

Actually, the processor in the Wii is way faster than the one in the Xbox and so is the one in the Gamecube. The PowerPC processor processes 3 intrustction per cycle compared to 1 like the pentium 3 based processor in the Xbox1. In all test the PowerPC processor got higher all around performance at half the clock speed.

This is a different issue. Seems that Nintendo has intentionally used a low cost, low performance processor this time. This is dissapointing. The price of the console better not be above $250.  Not with the tech they've demonstrated.

Is "is" possible that the CPU is simply clocked low like the one in the PSP and that the clock can be raised when it is needed but I doubt Nintendo did that.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
Mr Khan said:
Damnyouall said:

Happened with Wii, whose processor was 4 Mhz slower than the Xbox's.

What's different? Higher RAM, which devs have complained of and is widely understood as the major bottleneck for PS360 development currently, and a GPU capable of more modern effects, by all accounts.

Actually, the processor in the Wii is way faster than the one in the Xbox and so is the one in the Gamecube. The PowerPC processor processes 3 intrustction per cycle compared to 1 like the pentium 3 based processor in the Xbox1. In all test the PowerPC processor got higher all around performance at half the clock speed.

This is a different issue. Seems that Nintendo has intentionally used a low cost, low performance processor this time. This is dissapointing. The price of the console better not be above $250.  Not with the tech they've demonstrated.

Is "is" possible that the CPU is simply clocked low like the one in the PSP and that the clock can be raised when it is needed but I doubt Nintendo did that.

I would wonder why, unless they feel they can get "good enough" performance from the processor, and lend the larger duties over to the expanded RAM and the GPU.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

So basically the Wii U is more beauty than brains.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

It isn't threadworthy and definitely isn't a problem. Contrary to uneducated popular belief a CPU's power isn't dependent on its clockspeed. The lower clock isn't a problem because the U is using a GPGPU which will perform the floating point operations that the Cell and Xenon will be performing. You've also got to take into account the advantages that the U's OoOE is going to give compared to the IOE that the Cell and Xenon have as well as the U having a DSP to handle sound. At least 16% of the 360's processing power is dedicated to handling sound, most developers use a third of the processing power to deal with sound given its importance.

Producers generally aren't clued up about hardware, if his team are having problems then they're struggling to port a game from two consoles with the same architecture to one console with different architecture, and architecture that will be shared by the PS4 and 720 next gen so they'd better get used to it lol.

Developers blindly porting code from the PS3/360 to the U without optimisation are going to have problems. That's developing 101 for gawd's sake.

snowdog said:
It isn't threadworthy and definitely isn't a problem. Contrary to uneducated popular belief a CPU's power isn't dependent on its clockspeed. The lower clock isn't a problem because the U is using a GPGPU which will perform the floating point operations that the Cell and Xenon will be performing. You've also got to take into account the advantages that the U's OoOE is going to give compared to the IOE that the Cell and Xenon have as well as the U having a DSP to handle sound. At least 16% of the 360's processing power is dedicated to handling sound, most developers use a third of the processing power to deal with sound given its importance.

Producers generally aren't clued up about hardware, if his team are having problems then they're struggling to port a game from two consoles with the same architecture to one console with different architecture, and architecture that will be shared by the PS4 and 720 next gen so they'd better get used to it lol.

Developers blindly porting code from the PS3/360 to the U without optimisation are going to have problems. That's developing 101 for gawd's sake.

Probably the best, and most accurate, article in the thread. Good job. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

snowdog said:

That is indeed true. From what I've seen in P-100, the physics seem to be beyond what the 360 and PS3 can do but the physics are may be getting processed on the GPU instead of the CPU.