By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U CPU Weaker than PS360

Hah, pathetic console gaming peasants.

*Sits on mighty PC gaming throne*

I honestly don't care about the power of the Wii U. I just want to play some fun and creative Nintendo games.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
mothman said:
When asked whether it was lower than that of the Xbox 360 or PS3, he replied: "Maybe a little bit. "

Quick run! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Pathetic. How is this even thread worthy?

It is thread worthy. If this is true, then WiiU has a problem. It's supposed to offer at minimum 360/PS3 capabilities for at least gen7 cross-plat porting. If devs have issues with anything PS360 related that's a huge nono.

The real question is, how much of this is Namco not utilizing the GPU? How much of this can be worked around? We don't know.

That's just it Dolphin, We don't know, and we won't know until there is something tangible, which currently there isn't. All we have is a whole bunch of people saying contradictory things which is proof of nothing

mothman said:

That's just it Dolphin, We don't know, and we won't know until there is something tangible, which currently there isn't. All we have is a whole bunch of people saying contradictory things which is proof of nothing

It's early testimonials, just as long as people take it for what it actually is and make safe estimates and guesses, using sound logic with what we do know so far, then it should be troll-free, I really don't see waht the issue is Mr. Moth.

Thank goodness, it seems so definitive. After all, 'Maybe a little bit' really fills me with confidence.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I think it's quite a big deal when an UPCOMING console isn't even as powerful as 7-year-old video game systems.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
mothman said:

It's early testimonials, just as long as people take it for what it actually is and make safe estimates and guesses, using sound logic with what we do know so far, then it should be troll-free, I really don't see waht the issue is Mr. Moth.

Sorry, I've just grown tired of the daily Wii U is this and Wii U is that threads and articles.

The issue is the tendency of humans to take the tiniest off-hand remark/opinion and attempt to spin it into something important. 

In the words of the immortal Bill Murray, "It just doesn't matter!" 

Damnyouall said:
I think it's quite a big deal when an UPCOMING console isn't even as powerful as 7-year-old video game systems.

Happened with Wii, whose processor was 4 Mhz slower than the Xbox's.

What's different? Higher RAM, which devs have complained of and is widely understood as the major bottleneck for PS360 development currently, and a GPU capable of more modern effects, by all accounts.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

A PPC CPU clocked lower than other CPU's? Unheard of!

He never said it was less powerful. He said the CPU was clocked lower which is to be expected. PPC CPU's offer higher performance at lower clock speeds. Microsoft and Sony clocked their CPU's as high as possible because it was cheaper than a CPU with a slower clock speed but better capabilities. They went speed > capabilities

Developers will have to optimize their Wii U games in other ways than utilizing clock speed to get more power out of its otherwise faster CPU. Yeah back in the Gamecube days we had the same discussions...

Damnyouall said:

They are talking about clock speed only. PS3 and 360 use "weak" CPU's that have been overclocked to the max and developers optimize their games for that. The Wii U uses a lower clocked PPC CPU that is more capable and developers will have to optimize their games accordingly.

When PS4 and 720 are released people will complain about them only using Quad Core CPU's at 3.2ghz or something and say "they are only 25% faster than their predecessors" when in reality these CPU's will be like 4x faster. 

radishhead said:
That sucks - I was hoping that nintendo might be able to compete with ps4/720 on a graphical level next gen

He said CPU, not GPU...you don't process graphics with the CPU...