By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PC Gaming up 230%, Console down 28% (PC Gaming Comeback!)

Are you a PC Gamer or Console Gamer

PC 82 24.40%

Console 138 41.07%

50/50 116 34.52%

Total:336
Slimebeast said:
okr said:
Slimebeast said:

Averaged over the 17 years I've been playing it's more than 50% of the time (although I have to admit that some of this has to do with pirated games).

Didn't you call yourself "a full-blooded PC gamer" in this very thread which is about current growth of PC games sales? All this talk about your love for Age of Empires II, a certain Sierra-Online adventure game and other PC games...and recently all I see from you are these negative comments about PC gaming. It's hard for me to take self-proclaimed, formerly avid PC gamers seriously if they probably only payed for a part of the PC games they ever played and if they sound as if they've never really liked PC gaming.

And there's no way any PC gamer in this world is spending or has been spending more than 50% of their time with solving PC gaming problems. Not under Win 7, not under Win XP, not even under Win 95 or MS-DOS (and those two weren't easy at all - in the early 90s I had to create  separate boot disks for almost every single DOS game, e.g. for Civilization, Dune II, Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle, Wing Commander: Privateer or the infamous Star Wars: Rebel Assault - the first game that only worked with a CD-ROM drive and driver - but this certainly didn't take anywhere near 50% of my time).

How am I going to say this without sounding like a hypocrite. One part of me loves PC gaming. Because of the usual reasons - because M&K is the superior control method for many genres, because the ability to customize your hardware, customize your in-game settings and tamper with ini-files, being able to mod games.

Important clarification though: I don't mean that 50% of the time spent with games have been time solving problems, I meant that 50% of all games I've played during these 17 years have involved some kind of problem that I had to solve before I could play the game smoothly, look at SvennoJ's post a few posts above for some good examples of some relatively minor problems that you solve within just a few minutes.

And yeah, that Sierra game that was extra special to me was Conquests of Camelot. Glad you noticed okr.

Oh it sure has become easier. I also still remember having to make seperate versions of autoexec.bat and himem.sys for different games and going into the bios to change wait states on a 486 dx to get better performance. Not to mention the disaster that win 95 was for gaming with early directX.
Yet most of the time I simply don't want to concern myself with graphic settings, ini files, driver and system updates and a nagging feeling that maybe it's time to upgrade the graphics card again. And simply never really knowing how well the game will run on your particular system until after you buy it.
Another reason is that the pc will always have the stigma of work attached to it, greeting me with how many unread emails I have and other shit I still have to do. Maybe that's the main reason. Ever since I started working as a software programmer I have been moving more and more towards console gaming.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Gluestickid said:

Even if I had the best gaming computer in the whole world I would still game on console. The idea of being hunched up all close over the desk with a keyboard and a mouse! Omg its so uncomfortable for long periods! With a controller you can lay on your ass anyway you please!

If you really want, you can connect your PC up to an HDTV, use a controller and sit on your couch. You still get lower prices, better graphics, more customisability, user-created mods and, in many ways, a better online system in Steam.

But get a comfortable chair, and you won't be hunched over anything. You can easily play a PC game sitting back, even with a keyboard and mouse.

All true but no game has ever crashed on my PS3 and Dragon Age: Origins just did on my PC.

AndrewWK said:
Kantor said:
Gluestickid said:

Even if I had the best gaming computer in the whole world I would still game on console. The idea of being hunched up all close over the desk with a keyboard and a mouse! Omg its so uncomfortable for long periods! With a controller you can lay on your ass anyway you please!

If you really want, you can connect your PC up to an HDTV, use a controller and sit on your couch. You still get lower prices, better graphics, more customisability, user-created mods and, in many ways, a better online system in Steam.

But get a comfortable chair, and you won't be hunched over anything. You can easily play a PC game sitting back, even with a keyboard and mouse.

All true but no game has ever crashed on my PS3 and Dragon Age: Origins just did on my PC.

You must have a freak PS3 because I remember suffering through Fallout 3 on mine. Seriously, no modern PC games crash that much.

bouzane said:
AndrewWK said:
Kantor said:
Gluestickid said:

You must have a freak PS3 because I remember suffering through Fallout 3 on mine. Seriously, no modern PC games crash that much.

I swear on the future of Mass Effect, no game has ever crashed on my PS3 and Dragon Age: Origins crashe several times on my PC as well as Skyrim and The Witcher 2.

pezus said:

Many games have frozen on my PS3 (and other PS3s, so don't call me a single case). Examples: LBP, infamous 2, skyrim, oblivion, hell even GT5. I don't remember the last time a PC game crashed/froze for me.

I am hearing this the first time. The last game that froze on, one of my consoles was Majoras Mask on my N64

Around the Network
zero129 said:
AndrewWK said:

I swear on the future of Mass Effect, no game has ever crashed on my PS3 and Dragon Age: Origins crashe several times on my PC as well as Skyrim and The Witcher 2.

And like other guys have said, i have also had PS3/x360 games freeze on me and i also know other people who has also, so i do really find it a bit hard to believe you or none of your friends have ever had this happen. Plus fallout 3 on 360/ps3 was meant to of had alot of bugs that would cos the game to crash etc same for skyrim (atleast thats what i read). and i also really cant remember the last time i had a PC game crash on me. are you using an illegal copy??

You don´t need to believe me but it is the truth. And no I have bought Dragon Age Origins on Origin, we are friends on Origin you can see game in my profile. But I used an ilegal copy of Skyrim(not gonna pay for this shit). And a friend of mine told that Fallout 3 crashed several times on his PC, it was bugy on all Platforms.

AndrewWK said:
zero129 said:
AndrewWK said:

And like other guys have said, i have also had PS3/x360 games freeze on me and i also know other people who has also, so i do really find it a bit hard to believe you or none of your friends have ever had this happen. Plus fallout 3 on 360/ps3 was meant to of had alot of bugs that would cos the game to crash etc same for skyrim (atleast thats what i read). and i also really cant remember the last time i had a PC game crash on me. are you using an illegal copy??

You don´t need to believe me but it is the truth. And no I have bought Dragon Age Origins on Origin, we are friends on Origin you can see game in my profile. But I used an ilegal copy of Skyrim(not gonna pay for this shit). And a friend of mine told that Fallout 3 crashed several times on his PC, it was bugy on all Platforms.

Yeah, Fallout 3 had plenty of problems on all platforms. The point still stands though. I've had plenty of crashes on both my PS3 and PC. In recent years I've found consoles gradually getting worse as they become more complex and PC improving in this regard.

AndrewWK said:
Kantor said:
Gluestickid said:

I've had games crash on both, but the PC has quicksaving.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Thats a bit silly. Console games have quick save aswell (fallout 3 for example).

It all depends on the game, not the system.

I play my PC for MMO's and my consoles for the rest of the games. The reason why i dont like ot use the PC for gaming is the unconfortable position, but most of all the viruses, the crashes, the overheatings, the programs that like to tab you and the more often crashes. It just isnt as confortable and as reliable as a console.

If only digital sales were tracked, you'd really see how well PC sells. No surprise though. For shooters though, I prefer to have a controller in my hand and a big TV, but I love me some Starcraft etc

BOOM!  FACE KICK!