By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Knight Rises Box Office Predictions!

dsage01 said:
Allfreedom99 said:
dsage01 said:

Okay I'm just expecting it to beat the Avengers World Wide Total nothing more. And it will probably beat the record for opening weekend domestically and World Wide. Lets make a bet if the Dark Knight Rises gets an 80% + fresh from Rotten Tomatoes and at least an intial score of 7.2 from IMDB I beleive it will break the domestic opening weekend record. And you prediciting by your $181 million weekend box office say it will not do a better weekend box office than the Avengers. So if the Dark Knight Rises gets a higher weekend BO following the nessescites I win the bet if the Dark Knight Rises does not do better domestic weekend BO than the Avengers following the minimum expectations you win the bet. Deal? 

So the stipulations are if it gets 80% or above on Rotten Tomatoes, and at least a score of 7.2 on IMDB then you believe it will surpass Avengers total opening weekend of $207,438,708 million?

What are your suggested outcomes of the bet? Just sheer ego boost for the winner, and a sense of humility for the loser? Or are you wanting to add more to this wager? As long as there is no $ involved Im likely good with it.

Two options:

1. Loser gives password for VGC acount to winner

2. Loser does something really stupid he gets banned fo at least 3 days

So is that a deal...

1. I personally think is an extremely dumb option. I don't give out passwords willingly no matter who that someone is that is asking. I know thats not exciting but its how I roll.

2. Depends on what kind of "something really stupid" entails. Not sure I really like this one.

What I was thinking of is something along the lines of This:

*The Loser has to change their sig to something along the lines of. "I am a LOSER. [insert winners name] is my master and I am a foul stentch in the pressence of his glorious intellect". And have this as their sig for a month starting the Monday after the opening weekend which is July 23rd.

How about that?

Around the Network
dsage01 said:
pezus said:
dsage01 said:

Okay I'm just expecting it to beat the Avengers World Wide Total nothing more. And it will probably beat the record for opening weekend domestically and World Wide. Lets make a bet if the Dark Knight Rises gets an 80% + fresh from Rotten Tomatoes and at least an intial score of 7.2 from IMDB I beleive it will break the domestic opening weekend record. And you prediciting by your $181 million weekend box office say it will not do a better weekend box office than the Avengers. So if the Dark Knight Rises gets a higher weekend BO following the nessescites I win the bet if the Dark Knight Rises does not do better domestic weekend BO than the Avengers following the minimum expectations you win the bet. Deal? 

WTH?! 7.2 lol. It will be at something like 9.5 for the first days, but that means nothing for the opening weekend (or not that much, anyway). Keep in mind that Avengers had 3D.

Keep in mind this is the sequel to the greatest movie of last decade according to people. Anything less than $214 million for the domestic opening weekend will be a complete disaster. 

No in fact if it at least matches the previuos movie opening weekend that is successful. Calling $214 million opening weekend for any movie that has less than a $200 million total budget a "complete disaster" is simply a uninformed statement.

pezus said:
d21lewis said:
I hear the movie is going to be close to three hours long, too. Longer movie=Less Showings per day. Less showings=Less Money

I don't see how Batman making less money or not breaking records could be a disaster, though. Yeah, the expectations are high (and, with Batman being my favorite character ever, I hope it's the number one movie of all time!) but as long as the movie is good/great and the creators make a tidy profit, who's going to complain? Certainly not me.

It is 164 minutes, but Avengers was 143 minutes so it's not that much longer :D. Longer awesome movie = better awesome movie

164 means there will be a brake at the showing, which makes 174mins out of it. And that is a solid difference

What I want to know is, why are so many of you predicting that the movie will have this huge uptick in Foreign box office takes comapred to the prequel? Batman is just more popular domestically than it is in foreign box offices. I thought this was accepted.

pezus said:
AndrewWK said:
pezus said:
d21lewis said:
I hear the movie is going to be close to three hours long, too. Longer movie=Less Showings per day. Less showings=Less Money

I don't see how Batman making less money or not breaking records could be a disaster, though. Yeah, the expectations are high (and, with Batman being my favorite character ever, I hope it's the number one movie of all time!) but as long as the movie is good/great and the creators make a tidy profit, who's going to complain? Certainly not me.

It is 164 minutes, but Avengers was 143 minutes so it's not that much longer :D. Longer awesome movie = better awesome movie

164 means there will be a brake at the showing, which makes 174mins out of it. And that is a solid difference

Don't all movies have breaks in the middle? At least they do here. So 153m vs. 174m

nope just movies longer then 150 minutes. But The Dark Knight was about 160 mins as well so I think if it is a good movie it will make a lot money, and it is already hyped as hell so the first should cover most of the production budget.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Khuutra said:
What I want to know is, why are so many of you predicting that the movie will have this huge uptick in Foreign box office takes comapred to the prequel? Batman is just more popular domestically than it is in foreign box offices. I thought this was accepted.

Because most other big film franchises have grown immensely in the foreign market during the last few years (even while they get smaller (sometimes) in USA). Good examples are the Transformers franchise, Pirates, Harry Potter and heck, even Twilight.

Transformers was always more popular internationally, though it's true that Dark of the Moon skyrocketed in foreign markets. Similarly, Harry Potter was always bigger internationally. Pirates has been twice as big internationally as it was domestically since the second freaking movie, which came out a long time ago.

We don't have any indications within the franchiwse itself that Batman will see significant gains internationally vs. domestically. I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm saying that we have no reason, currently, to think it will.

Or to think it will beat out Avengers on opening weekend, while I'm on that point

Khuutra said:

It's the end of a triology, Batman also grew in popularity after TDK. Also, there's the Inception fanbase that could go to see Batman.

On a personal note, I hope it beats The Avengers (it won't), it was a very overrated movie.

Allfreedom99 said:
dsage01 said:
Allfreedom99 said:
dsage01 said:

So the stipulations are if it gets 80% or above on Rotten Tomatoes, and at least a score of 7.2 on IMDB then you believe it will surpass Avengers total opening weekend of $207,438,708 million?

What are your suggested outcomes of the bet? Just sheer ego boost for the winner, and a sense of humility for the loser? Or are you wanting to add more to this wager? As long as there is no $ involved Im likely good with it.

Two options:

1. Loser gives password for VGC acount to winner

2. Loser does something really stupid he gets banned fo at least 3 days

So is that a deal...

1. I personally think is an extremely dumb option. I don't give out passwords willingly no matter who that someone is that is asking. I know thats not exciting but its how I roll.

2. Depends on what kind of "something really stupid" entails. Not sure I really like this one.

What I was thinking of is something along the lines of This:

*The Loser has to change their sig to something along the lines of. "I am a LOSER. [insert winners name] is my master and I am a foul stentch in the pressence of his glorious intellect". And have this as their sig for a month starting the Monday after the opening weekend which is July 23rd.

How about that?

Gosh you really don't know how to have fun... and by July 23rd we will only get the estimates not the actualy figures. Actualy figues come later. Now here's my FINAL OFFER!

Loser takes the sig your talking about and puts it on for LIFE! The loser also won't be able to log in to VGC for a week. Deal? Or I'm out. 

morenoingrato said:
Khuutra said:

It's the end of a triology, Batman also grew in popularity after TDK. Also, there's the Inception fanbase that could go to see Batman.

On a personal note, I hope it beats The Avengers (it won't), it was a very overrated movie.

It will my friend it will. Come on who could have thought Avengers (even with rave reviews) pass the TDK domestically? Forget that back in 2008 when TDK released I didn't think a single person thing it would beat Spider-Man 3 which was at the the the biggest super hero movie of all time?

Allfreedom99 said:
dsage01 said:
pezus said:
dsage01 said:

WTH?! 7.2 lol. It will be at something like 9.5 for the first days, but that means nothing for the opening weekend (or not that much, anyway). Keep in mind that Avengers had 3D.

Keep in mind this is the sequel to the greatest movie of last decade according to people. Anything less than $214 million for the domestic opening weekend will be a complete disaster. 

No in fact if it at least matches the previuos movie opening weekend that is successful. Calling $214 million opening weekend for any movie that has less than a $200 million total budget a "complete disaster" is simply a uninformed statement.

It's a $250 million movie...