By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Knight Rises Box Office Predictions!

AndrewWK said:
I say 800mill. But people should not expect too much from this movie. After the Dark Knight this can only be a slight dissapointment.

An advanced screening was held for a couple dozen critics the viewing ended apparently with standing ovation with all critics saying it was BETTER than expected and surpasses the hype meter given to TDKR so far. Same thing happened with TDK. Rarely (and I mean rarely as maybe once a decde) does a movie with this insurmountable amount of hype exceed expectations. The critics are talking about how if TDKR does not win the academy award for Best Picture then no super-hero movie ever will.

TDKR may not take the record for highest opening week but I would assume that this movie will have word of mouth like no other and the amount of repeat customers will be very high. This is all of course judging by the reactions from the critics so far.

Opening Weekend: $180-190 Million

Second Weekend: $90 Million

Third Weekend: $60 Million

Total Domestic BO: $690-$700 Million

Total WW BO: $1.2 Billion

Around the Network
A_C_E said:
AndrewWK said:
I say 800mill. But people should not expect too much from this movie. After the Dark Knight this can only be a slight dissapointment.

An advanced screening was held for a couple dozen critics the viewing ended apparently with standing ovation with all critics saying it was BETTER than expected and surpasses the hype meter given to TDKR so far. Same thing happened with TDK. Rarely (and I mean rarely as maybe once a decde) does a movie with this insurmountable amount of hype exceed expectations. The critics are talking about how if TDKR does not win the academy award for Best Picture then no super-hero movie ever will.

TDKR may not take the record for highest opening week but I would assume that this movie will have word of mouth like no other and the amount of repeat customers will be very high. This is all of course judging by the reactions from the critics so far.

Opening Weekend: $180-190 Million

Second Weekend: $90 Million

Third Weekend: $60 Million

Total Domestic BO: $690-$700 Million

Total WW BO: $1.2 Billion

Buddy, that post just made my day.

dsage01 said:
Allfreedom99 said:

1. I personally think is an extremely dumb option. I don't give out passwords willingly no matter who that someone is that is asking. I know thats not exciting but its how I roll.

2. Depends on what kind of "something really stupid" entails. Not sure I really like this one.

What I was thinking of is something along the lines of This:

*The Loser has to change their sig to something along the lines of. "I am a LOSER. [insert winners name] is my master and I am a foul stentch in the pressence of his glorious intellect". And have this as their sig for a month starting the Monday after the opening weekend which is July 23rd.

How about that?

Gosh you really don't know how to have fun... and by July 23rd we will only get the estimates not the actualy figures. Actualy figues come later. Now here's my FINAL OFFER!

Loser takes the sig your talking about and puts it on for LIFE! The loser also won't be able to log in to VGC for a week. Deal? Or I'm out. 

If your trying to make it seem like Im not confident in my prediction, nice try. I think your suggestions are over the top honestly. Why would you want to have that as your sig for all time? I would think you would like changing your sig to different things at least at some point.

The best I can offer is Loser changes sig to that for one whole year. Thats the best i will do....Trust me, you will thank me later.

If you still want out thats fine, but my offer still stands. This movie is not going to outearn the Avengers Domestically in the first weekend. Its such an extremely slim chance that it could, so I'm very confident in my prediction.

dsage01 said:
morenoingrato said:
Khuutra said:
What I want to know is, why are so many of you predicting that the movie will have this huge uptick in Foreign box office takes comapred to the prequel? Batman is just more popular domestically than it is in foreign box offices. I thought this was accepted.

It's the end of a triology, Batman also grew in popularity after TDK. Also, there's the Inception fanbase that could go to see Batman.

On a personal note, I hope it beats The Avengers (it won't), it was a very overrated movie.

It will my friend it will. Come on who could have thought Avengers (even with rave reviews) pass the TDK domestically? Forget that back in 2008 when TDK released I didn't think a single person thing it would beat Spider-Man 3 which was at the the the biggest super hero movie of all time?

If you mean domestically at that point it was Spider-man 1 at $403.7 million that was the highest grossing superhero movie. Spider-man 3 total gross was $336.5 million.

Below is from one of the critics that saw the screening.

Interesting there is certain aspects controversial in the movie. I wonder what that could be.

Around the Network
Allfreedom99 said:
dsage01 said:
morenoingrato said:
Khuutra said:
What I want to know is, why are so many of you predicting that the movie will have this huge uptick in Foreign box office takes comapred to the prequel? Batman is just more popular domestically than it is in foreign box offices. I thought this was accepted.

It's the end of a triology, Batman also grew in popularity after TDK. Also, there's the Inception fanbase that could go to see Batman.

On a personal note, I hope it beats The Avengers (it won't), it was a very overrated movie.

It will my friend it will. Come on who could have thought Avengers (even with rave reviews) pass the TDK domestically? Forget that back in 2008 when TDK released I didn't think a single person thing it would beat Spider-Man 3 which was at the the the biggest super hero movie of all time?

If you mean domestically at that point it was Spider-man 1 at $403.7 million that was the highest grossing superhero movie. Spider-man 3 total gross was $336.5 million.

No I'm taking Worldwide

I'm bringing this thread back up to point out that Rises continues to do better domestically than on the foreign take and this is not very likely to change.