By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Knight Rises Box Office Predictions!

Here is my terrible prediction.

Domestic:

First Day: $80 Million

Opening Weekend: $170 Million

Lifetime Gross: $580 Million

Overseas:

Opening Weekend: $150 Million

Lifetime Gross: $600 Million

Total Gross: $1.18 Billion

Rotten tomatoes: 90%

Around the Network
pezus said:
Allfreedom99 said:
pezus said:
Great post, Allfreedom99, and I agree with most of it, but one thing you must also consider is that the Batman movies now have the reputation that they didn't quite have before TDK came out. Ok, Begins was good, but was it a one hit wonder? It turns out it wasn't and TDK was even better. This will draw more people to see this film, because they know it'll be great.

Also, professional reviews don't affect opening weekend numbers much at all.

Also I do think Professional reviews can have a small effect while minimal. For instance if you have a huge budget movie that gets a terrible Rotten score in 40% I think it will have at least some effect on who decides to go see it. Especially if there are other decent options for movies playing at that time.

Granted TDKR most assuredly wont get scores even close to that low and I expect at the very least in the 80th%. So I don't think the score will have much affect on fans either.

Yeah but many movies aren't even reviewed until the very day they release or a day before, so must people wouldn't even be aware of the score. But I bet this movie will get a 90+ rating so it will be a non-factor essentially when comparing to TDK

True I do agree with you on the factor of the 90 range rating and it not being a factor. I will say though that reviews for movies start rolling in at least a week in advance and the final influx of them comes the day before or day of. but yes I doubt the score will have any effect since I don't possibly see its score being anything close to south of 80%. Im thinking around 90%.

@ pezus

Actually for example I started seeing some reviews for amazing Spiderman early last week. But I think majority come out within a couple days of movie release. We should start seeing some for TDKR next week.

Total Gross: $ 999 million

Domestic:

First Day: $75 Million

Opening Weekend: $120 Million

Lifetime Gross: $475 Million

Overseas:

Opening Weekend: 200 Million

Total Gross: $1.08 Billion

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 85%

Around the Network

Many people are doubting my $900 million prediction (domestic) and I did expect that but now I'll clear it all up for people who have a hard time understanding.

Domestic:
Batman Begins: Weekend Opening: $48,745,440
The Dark Knight: Weekend Opening: $158,411,483

That is an increase of an estimated 3.2 times! When there was no big difference in the the budget between both movies. This was mostly because of the high response the first film got from IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. The second film only exceeded the first film when it came to early reviews and the IMDB response was overwhelming. Due to that fact that the The Dark Knight had over the top reviews from critics and it is one of the highest rated films on IMDB it will exceed the Dark Knight in opening weekend drastically. And movies such as the Avengers and Amazing Spiderman also increased the female audiences for super hero movies and therefore the same effect will possibly happen.

Another important factor is the huge increase of hype in this film which makes it possible to be the biggest film of all time domestically.

okr said:
Total Gross: $ 999 million

Ah! The irony of that would be hilarious. xD

dsage01 said:
Many people are doubting my $900 million prediction (domestic) and I did expect that but now I'll clear it all up for people who have a hard time understanding.

Domestic:
Batman Begins: Weekend Opening: $48,745,440
The Dark Knight: Weekend Opening: $158,411,483

That is an increase of an estimated 3.2 times! When there was no big difference in the the budget between both movies. This was mostly because of the high response the first film got from IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. The second film only exceeded the first film when it came to early reviews and the IMDB response was overwhelming. Due to that fact that the The Dark Knight had over the top reviews from critics and it is one of the highest rated films on IMDB it will exceed the Dark Knight in opening weekend drastically. And movies such as the Avengers and Amazing Spiderman also increased the female audiences for super hero movies and therefore the same effect will possibly happen.

Another important factor is the huge increase of hype in this film which makes it possible to be the biggest film of all time domestically.

Did you read my previous response to you in my massive book post?

The jump from Batman Begins to The Dark Knight is very understandable. When Batman Begins was released much of the movie going audience was probably in the mindset of where the last Batman movies left off....of which Batman and Robin was dredfully bad. Many movie goers just werent interested until more people saw it when it came out on physical media. Then they realized it was really good.

The Dark Knight had a HUGE draw. previews depicted an intense storyline with the king of villains...the Joker. Trailers looked extremely good and audiences were itching for the next Batman. Throw in Heath Ledger's last full movie and you have a historic blockbuster on your hands.

Audiences loved the Dark Knight so many of them will return for The Dark Knight Rises. My issue however with your prediction is the $300 million domestic opening weekend. This is virtually impossible when you look at the data and all the facts. EVEN IF it breaks the record for Widest opening Theatre release which is currently set by Twilight:Eclipse Which was 4,468 locations there is simply not enough locations available that could generate enough for it to have a $300 million opening weekend. I think the best potential it could possibly have would be in the low $200 million range but I don't see a possibility of it going anywhere north of $220 million opening weekend. While it is true that there are a lot more IMAX locations now when compared to TDK, it is also true that it is not being released in 3D. The added IMAX locations will help its initial opening weekend, but not having 3D will hurt its potential. Avengers shattered the record for average $ per theatre at $47,698 from 4,349 locations. Many theatres were sold out. Even if TDKR matches that $ per theatre (which is extremely unlikely due to no 3D release) and breaks the Widest Release record at lets say 4,500 locations we are still looking at a $214.6 million opening weekend. Not even a prayer of reaching $300 million.

Honestly I hope this movie does very well. I LOVE this series, but I don't see any possibility of it going anything past the $220 million mark. If this movie even hits $215 million mark it would be on the grounds of a miracle.

My prediction was $181 million. At its very absolute best it will be in the $205-$215 million range if it definitely comes close or breaks the widest theatre release record.

WiiBox3 said:
Domestic:

First Day: $75 Million

Opening Weekend: $120 Million

Lifetime Gross: $475 Million

Overseas:

Opening Weekend: 200 Million

Total Gross: $1.08 Billion

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 85%

Not trying to be picky but I couldn't resist commenting on this. sorry :)...

On your prediction for opening day at $75 million and opening weekend at $120 that would probably be one of or Thee most lop sided opening weekend in history. If a movie makes $75 million on Friday and then splits $45 million at lets say $25 million on Saturday and $20 million on Sunday it would be unprecidented. Going from $75 million in opening day and dropping 77% in its second day would mean either a huge natural disaster happened causing people not to go, or it would be the worst hype movie that bombed after its opening day in history. Probably about the worst most movies will drop on its second day would be somewhere around 50%. Actually Harry Potter: DH P2 is ranked 3rd for the biggest Friday to Saturday drops when it went from $91 million on Friday to $42.4 million on Saturday. A 53.43% drop. That was mostly due to almost everyone even wanting to see the last Harry Potter movie were so hyped that they HAD to see it by opening day. TDKR does not have that same affect at that level.

TDKR will indeed have a huge opening day as so much hype is surrounding it, but I don't see TDKR breaking the record for largest Friday to Saturday drop. That would be embarrasing to all involved in bringing the movie to market...and would be a very bad sign for its remaining grosses in the rest of its box office run.

What's going to hurt Batman's bottom line the most when compared to Avengers is that it's not a bright, colorful, family friendly movie. I think Bane is going to beat Batman down for an extremely long amount of time--to the point where it's uncomfortable to watch. Also, there's no 3D version of the film. On top of that, the Joker is THE Batman villain. I love Bane but there are plenty of Bat-Villains that are ten times more iconic than him. Hell, they could have gone with Deathstroke or Deadshot or Lady Shiva or something. At least somebody in marketing decided it was a good idea to include Catwoman.

It will fall just short of the Avengers. In a perfect world, the better movie will be the one that grosses more. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world.

I don't know enough about box office figures to accurately predict how much it will make. Forgive me for not following the format.