By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: "We're Going 100% Digital"

If they remove physical copies I am going back to piracy, it's as simple as that.

Around the Network

ARIOCH, LORD OF CHAOS

GRANT ME THE STRENGTH TO DESTROY THESE MEN

Damnyouall said:

Digitally distributed console games can't be given away, sold, touched, or even backed up, and they are locked to one specific console/account. You can never get back even a single cent of the moeny you paid for a DD game, and if your gaming console breaks down (say 10 years from now) you can't just buy another FunBox 3 and transfer your game there. Once the original distro channel is gone, you are S-O-L.

If I download a game off of PSN, and theoretically suffer a hardware failure, I can log onto the Playstation Store, select that game, and re-download it.  If I buy a physical copy of the same game, and while removing the disc from the drive I drop it on the floor and it becomes scratched and unplayable, I can never play that game again without re-purchasing it.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but physical distribution has downsides as well, and this is not a cut and dry issue where one distribution method is all upside and the other is all downside.

AndrewWK said:
Lafiel said:
AndrewWK said:
KungKras said:
Awesome!

An EA collapse would be good for gaming.

Sega should be the first one to go down. They have done nothing for gaming in recent past.

hm? they have done Panzer Dragoon Saga, that's enough justification for me for Sega to be around forever

I hope they revive the Panzer Dragoon franchise someday *sigh* - ideally as RPG like Saga

What? never heard of it.

lets compare.

EA has Mass Effect, Dragon Age, SSX, Fifa, Command & Conquer and soon UFC . And there are so many games I don´t play but still are high profile, like the Sims, Spore, Battlefield, Crysis, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge and many more.

And Sega has nothing interesting besides of Total War and Vanquish

But this is not a Sega vs. EA thread.

Then why did you bring up Sega.

To debunk your point though, Sega has Total War, which alone justifies their existance.

If EA never existed, we'd still have Bullfrog, Maxis, Westwood Studios and Origin Systems around. All companies that were more talented and made more fun games than EA. If EA bit the dust today, at least no more great game companies would get devoured and ruined by them.

I see you mentioned C&C earlier. Don't! Command and Conquer is dead.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I resell my games when I'm done with them. So no thank you EA.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
KungKras said:
AndrewWK said:
Lafiel said:
AndrewWK said:
KungKras said:
Awesome!

An EA collapse would be good for gaming.

Sega should be the first one to go down. They have done nothing for gaming in recent past.

hm? they have done Panzer Dragoon Saga, that's enough justification for me for Sega to be around forever

I hope they revive the Panzer Dragoon franchise someday *sigh* - ideally as RPG like Saga

What? never heard of it.

lets compare.

EA has Mass Effect, Dragon Age, SSX, Fifa, Command & Conquer and soon UFC . And there are so many games I don´t play but still are high profile, like the Sims, Spore, Battlefield, Crysis, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge and many more.

And Sega has nothing interesting besides of Total War and Vanquish

But this is not a Sega vs. EA thread.

To debunk your point though, Sega has Total War, which alone justifies their existance.

If EA never existed, we'd still have Bullfrog, Maxis, Westwood Studios and Origin Systems around. All companies that were more talented and made more fun games than EA. If EA bit the dust today, at least no more great game companies would get devoured and ruined by them.

I only mentioned EA because of the highlighted comment of yours. You know what? fuck it. EA is never gonna, and Sega propably very soon. Fifa alone makes them more money then all Sega games combined.

AndrewWK said:
KungKras said:

I only mentioned EA because of the highlighted comment of yours. You know what? fuck it. EA is never gonna, and Sega propably very soon. Fifa alone makes them more money then all Sega games combined.

Except EA has been losing a lot of money pretty much this entire gen...

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
AndrewWK said:

Except EA has been losing a lot of money pretty much this entire gen...

Not the entire gen. And if they have bigger financial problems they just close one of their studis

Right, so EA just wants the full 40-60$ instead of the 20$ they get through retail. (no, EA games will not become cheaper, I bet)
When physical copies vanish I will stick to my "retro" then. I even hate them for only putting the disc in a case nowadays lol

Everything will be digital one day whether we like it or not. And we will never again really own something.