By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: "We're Going 100% Digital"

I dont want games to be 100% digital. I like the physical copies to show off my collection.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Galaki said:
Made up quote again or am I missing something here?

The given content is apparently a summary, so there was likely more of the discussion that wasn't revielled to us. That's probably where the quote comes from.

LOL. I clicked through a few sites and they all seem to quote differently. WTF journalism. Do you know what quoting is?

Having options is great. DD is not gonna be a primary source of game usage for a while yet. Internet providers need to rid download caps and increase download /upload speeds across the networks. We have to wait for the countries we live in to invest in the technology for DD to be viable. Comparing this to Music industry is silly . Music files are typically Megabytes in size wheras games such as uncharted on PSN is 18GB ! downloading that corrupted music file again takes seconds. That's the level we need to get for DD to take primary position (and this is still talking developed countries )

The only thing I'll miss from EA would be SimCity, provided they're not screwing up the franchise like so many others with the new addition next year. Sadly, rumours seem to indicate they will, with all this online shit and stuff.
Anyway, I said it before already, I'll never buy any game digitally. So anyone who's going to do full digital distribution will lose my sale. Don't care about the 'option', I'll just ignore it.

AndrewWK said:
SamuelRSmith said:
AndrewWK said:
wfz said:
Why do gamers dislike the move to digital so much? Do you guys still buy physical CDs to listen to music on, or do you enjoy having all your music collection on your HDD?

I know many people are afraid of restrictions and shit that publishers try to push on people when playing digital games, but I have also seen many people outright show disdain for digital in general.

Why?

You can´t compare that to music. I have a very small HDD and don´t want to downlad 20GB games every time I buy a copy. And especailly games like Fifa, which I buy for my PS3 there I only have 80GB and don´t wanna download und delete it all the time.

And btw. whats wrong with retail anyway, it is much cheaper.

Cost-per-gigabyte is dropping rapidly. Within a year or so, most consumers will have over a terabyte of storage. Consoles will also be hitting the 1tb early on in their life cycle, if not at launch (MS and Sony, anyway).

Believe it or not, when MP3s started coming out, most portable devices only had between 32 and 64mb of memory. How many songs is that? 8, 16? Things change rapidly.

You can´t compare, the converting of a MP3 file and shrinking a game. A game is not just one file, and they are getting bigger instead of smaller. 10 years ago there where almost no games bigger then 1GB.

I'm not comparing the shrinking of files, I'm comparing the size of HDD space. Within a few years, storage for the average consumer won't be a problem for anybody.

Around the Network
WiiBox3 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
AndrewWK said:
wfz said:
Why do gamers dislike the move to digital so much? Do you guys still buy physical CDs to listen to music on, or do you enjoy having all your music collection on your HDD?

I know many people are afraid of restrictions and shit that publishers try to push on people when playing digital games, but I have also seen many people outright show disdain for digital in general.

Why?

You can´t compare that to music. I have a very small HDD and don´t want to downlad 20GB games every time I buy a copy. And especailly games like Fifa, which I buy for my PS3 there I only have 80GB and don´t wanna download und delete it all the time.

And btw. whats wrong with retail anyway, it is much cheaper.

Cost-per-gigabyte is dropping rapidly. Within a year or so, most consumers will have over a terabyte of storage. Consoles will also be hitting the 1tb early on in their life cycle, if not at launch (MS and Sony, anyway).

Believe it or not, when MP3s started coming out, most portable devices only had between 32 and 64mb of memory. How many songs is that? 8, 16? Things change rapidly.

The problem is IPS download caps. A lot of them have DL caps. Also in the US at least, there are a lot of people who have consoles who never take them on line.

Yes, that is the biggest problem going forward. If there's a market for larger market caps, which downloadable games will provide, then there will be somebody willing to provide.

Ack! mnakes me puke they would use such a lame and kiss arse reason as "the ultimate relationship is the connection that we have with the gamer".

Now if they'd said something like wanting to reduce their envoronmental footprint and use less petrochemical products that would at least be a believable.

Of course the real reason is copy control.

Anyway they ain't going digital only for a long time, in fact they won't go digital only until console makers stop making consoles with disc slots / trays. So they'll be for sure be releasing all their WiiU, 720 and PS4 games on disc.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

KungKras said:
Awesome!

An EA collapse would be good for gaming.

Sega should be the first one to go down. They have done nothing for gaming in recent past.

They just want their money now, and cut out the middle man. i.e retail stores like Gamestop.and Best Buy

AndrewWK said:
KungKras said:
Awesome!

An EA collapse would be good for gaming.

Sega should be the first one to go down. They have done nothing for gaming in recent past.

Sega is publishing The Cave, which looks better than anything EA has made in...  ever.