By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: "We're Going 100% Digital"

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/19899/ea-were-going-100-digital

Retail is a great channel for us. We have great relationships with our partners there. At the same time, the ultimate relationship is the connection that we have with the gamer. If the gamer wants to get the game through a digital download and that's the best way for them to get it, that's what we're going to do."

It will obviously take time for EA to fully transition. But this heralds what will be a major shift in gaming over the next few years.

------------

Stores like Gamestation will be dead by the end of this decade.

Around the Network

They probably want a full control of the market and make it easier for all games to have shitty online restrictions like D3. Thankfully I don't see myself playing beyond this gen, I'm tired of the whole gaming business and I think my gaming library covers every possible gaming experience.

But man, I'm sorry for the kids. No more pirating, or secretly buying or renting the games they couldn't own or their parents didn't let them.

/rant

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Good. That means more space for quality titles on our local retailer's shelves.

JK, I occasionally support some of their franchises and the physical copies will be dearly missed.

haxxiy said:
They probably want a full control of the market and make it easier for all games to have shitty online restrictions like D3. Thankfully I don't see myself playing beyond this gen, I'm tired of the whole gaming business and I think my gaming library covers every possible gaming experience.

But man, I'm sorry for the kids. No more pirating, or secretly buying or renting the games they couldn't own or their parents didn't let them.

/rant

Activision Blizzard is the company who made D3. Just...wanted to make sure we're clear on that. I understand the point you were making.

I'm a complete fan of digital content as long as it's restriction free and I can always play and transfer my games to new systems when I upgrade. I own 100% of my music digitally and it doesn't bother me one bit. I will always be able to listen to that music (as long as something terrible doesn't happen) and I don't have to worry about the loads of physical media or changing discs. I just play what I want, when I want.

So I'm perfectly fine if gaming goes down the same route. I'm not fine, however, if I have to be restrained in virtual handcuffs to play my games. Then I'll just play Nintendo games as I know Nintendo would never do that.

Around the Network

Cool! Can't wait to see that.

Ah.... What? 100%? No...

There making it sound like 100% of gamers want to go digital

Good news. A fair amount of people dont like digital gaming, but also, a fair amount of people do like digital gaming. So giving everyone options is great. Im extremely confident they won't leave the retail market.

Gamestop sells digital games. It's not all that bad I suppose

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash