By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Windwaker best graphics and art style of all time

binary solo said:

So people should only contribute to this thread if they agree?

If they disagree then they have to provide an exampe of a game they think is a higher standard in the gphx/art style department; after all just saying "I disagree" has no meaning whatsoever. But you're suggesting doing so would not be appropriate for this thread.

When the thread title and OP say things like "best looking game of all time" that is a comparative statement and hence invites comparison, I would have thought.

So perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to "Wind Waker appreciation thread" that way people know the purpose of the thread is only to talk about Wind Waker. If I'd seen a thread title that was non-comparative in nature I wouldn't have opened it let alone thought there was any valid reason to make mention of any other game.

Anyway, as this thread is meant to be only about Wind Waker I have nothing I can say directly about Wind Waker, so again, apologies for side tracking. But please do consider changing the thread title if you really do want to only talk about Wind Waker in a non-comparative sense.

I didn't make the thread.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Khuutra said:
binary solo said:
Is this like a Nintendo games only, or Zelda only thread? Kinda confused because "best game evah" threads really should be in general gaming if the intention is really to make the claim across all platforms ever.

Anyway, assuming the claim does cover all game platforms ever, to date, I would submit Valkyria Chronicles for graphics and art style. To me it's certainly the best looking thing on any Playstation platform ever. It is truly beautiful what Sega did with this game series (except moving it off PS3 to PSP that was decidedly not beautiful but plain mean).

Anyway apologies if this is meant to be confined to Nintendo / Zelda games.

It's about Wind Waker in particular, not as a point of comparison for other games.

So people should only contribute to this thread if they agree?

If they disagree then they have to provide an exampe of a game they think is a higher standard in the gphx/art style department; after all just saying "I disagree" has no meaning whatsoever. But you're suggesting doing so would not be appropriate for this thread.

When the thread title and OP say things like "best looking game of all time" that is a comparative statement and hence invites comparison, I would have thought.

So perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to "Wind Waker appreciation thread" that way people know the purpose of the thread is only to talk about Wind Waker. If I'd seen a thread title that was non-comparative in nature I wouldn't have opened it let alone thought there was any valid reason to make mention of any other game.

Anyway, as this thread is meant to be only about Wind Waker I have nothing I can say directly about Wind Waker, so again, apologies for side tracking. But please do consider changing the thread title if you really do want to only talk about Wind Waker in a non-comparative sense.

If you feel there is a better looking game, then I think you should mention it. 

BasilZero said:
spurgeonryan said:
We all hated it so much before it came out. But then we played it and it was pretty amzing. If only skyward sword did not have all that hype hooked to it more people would have enjoyed it.

Give it a few years and until the next Zelda comes out and people will begin to praise it even more than the ones that have done so far (just like what happened with Twilight Princess).

I actually believe TP have been getting more hate than praise over the years, people were excited by the fact it was a more mature zelda because of the graphics, but the game didn't have that much color in it, so some areas look kind of dull, and unlike WW that game will not pass the age of time. That's why I believe it gets more hate over the other zelda games.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I disagree as well.  For a game that was released last gen, here's a game released last gen that looks better.

I wouldn't say they are the best graphics, but they're certainly a specific style which keeps being pleasing even 9 years on.

Around the Network

It looks absolutely awful to me. It did in 2003, and it still does now. Bubble-headed characters, a grand total of like 5 colours on screen at once, and an utterly boring looking ocean in a game that revolves around it.

I don't totally agree but it sure does look very pretty. WindWaker was my first Zelda game and it has still been the favorite for me. Very good game and very fun, too!

kupomogli said:

I disagree as well.  For a game that was released last gen, here's a game released last gen that looks better.

That last statement doesn't really make sense.

BasilZero said:
spurgeonryan said:
We all hated it so much before it came out. But then we played it and it was pretty amzing. If only skyward sword did not have all that hype hooked to it more people would have enjoyed it.

Give it a few years and until the next Zelda comes out and people will begin to praise it even more than the ones that have done so far (just like what happened with Twilight Princess).

Only if the next one is worse again. Sure I admit I think Twilight Princess is better then Skyward Sword, so in that sense tp is not my worst zelda anymore. But they both fall short to oot and Windwaker.

I agree, and I believe this will look beautiful in a similar way.

But Wind Waker had a charm that was unique to the Zelda of that day. I haven't seen it recreated with such elegance personally.