By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Windwaker best graphics and art style of all time

You could be right. One thing for sure is the game still looks amazing. That cave with the ashes blowing around and the dragon on top still gives me chills.

Around the Network

It looks good because it's cell shaded, there's nothing clever or special going on there.

Cell shaded graphics by nature are scalable with no aliasing and hence look great and will do in the future, if completely devoid of any detail.

It's as silly as saying Virtua Fighter 1 non-remix looks better than Virtua Fighter 1 Remix because the textures don't scale well but the non textured poly models of the original when scaled up on an emulator look very good, simple chunky but nice and crisp.

Same goes for all Sega Model 1 arcade games...

..../pshhh anyway ill go be grumpy somewhere else.

Is this like a Nintendo games only, or Zelda only thread? Kinda confused because "best game evah" threads really should be in general gaming if the intention is really to make the claim across all platforms ever.

Anyway, assuming the claim does cover all game platforms ever, to date, I would submit Valkyria Chronicles for graphics and art style. To me it's certainly the best looking thing on any Playstation platform ever. It is truly beautiful what Sega did with this game series (except moving it off PS3 to PSP that was decidedly not beautiful but plain mean).

Anyway apologies if this is meant to be confined to Nintendo / Zelda games.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I agree, Wind Waker will look great forever.

Now give Link a hug:

binary solo said:
Is this like a Nintendo games only, or Zelda only thread? Kinda confused because "best game evah" threads really should be in general gaming if the intention is really to make the glame across all platforms ever.

Anyway, assuming the claim does cover all game platforms ever, to date, I would submit Valkyria Chronicles for graphics and art style. To me it's certainly the best looking thing on any Playstation platform ever. It is truly beautiful what Sega did with this game series (except moving it off PS3 to PSP that was decidedly not beautiful but plain mean).

It's about Wind Waker in particular, not as a point of comparison for other games.

Around the Network

d21lewis said:

The music is just as amazing!

Gerudo Valley 2.0

i would seperate graphics and art style. for me, graphics is the technical aspect and there, it is behind other games but if you löok at the art style, you can say it is the best if you like that art style. as example the same game in higher resolution would look much better just because of the resolution, that's what i mean with technical aspect.

Khuutra said:
binary solo said:
Is this like a Nintendo games only, or Zelda only thread? Kinda confused because "best game evah" threads really should be in general gaming if the intention is really to make the claim across all platforms ever.

It's about Wind Waker in particular, not as a point of comparison for other games.

So people should only contribute to this thread if they agree?

If they disagree then they have to provide an exampe of a game they think is a higher standard in the gphx/art style department; after all just saying "I disagree" has no meaning whatsoever. But you're suggesting doing so would not be appropriate for this thread.

When the thread title and OP say things like "best looking game of all time" that is a comparative statement and hence invites comparison, I would have thought.

So perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to "Wind Waker appreciation thread" that way people know the purpose of the thread is only to talk about Wind Waker. If I'd seen a thread title that was non-comparative in nature I wouldn't have opened it let alone thought there was any valid reason to make mention of any other game.

Anyway, as this thread is meant to be only about Wind Waker I have nothing I can say directly about Wind Waker, so again, apologies for side tracking. But please do consider changing the thread title if you really do want to only talk about Wind Waker in a non-comparative sense.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix