By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why gamers don't buy a game because it is for another console?

Tagged games:

Would you buy a game you're a fan of if it's not on your favorite console?

Yes 108 63.16%

No 50 29.24%

See results 13 7.60%

Total:171
happydolphin said:

You know, I'm not a true fan of Tomb Raider. So, the fact that the next one was announced for all plats but WiiU (which is apparently more powerful, to a certain degree), I was pissed, especially since porting costs almost nothing relatively speaking. I won't pretend to care about Tomb Raider, but I'll say "Oh, here's another case where 3rd parties shun a Nintendo platform".

Is it annoying to some people? Sure it is, but I won't pretend I'm a fan of the series, that I won't. Because if I were, I would have just sucked it up and bought an HD twin. In this case, I have a PS3 so it wouldn't be as bad, but not everyone owns an HD twin.

games that are a nice to have I usually wait till they are 1/3rd of retail price then I pick them up. Even though I already own all the consoles and could pick them up easily at retail to play, that is the only way I can justify spending money on them.

Around the Network

I voted no, but it's really a depends on the situation.

Valkyria Chronicles is one game I enjoyed on my PS3, and than I heard that the next one is out on a portable. I don't like half-assed gaming so I skipped it. I don't understand their move. They ditched their fanbase, as it was on the PS3. PS3 and Vita/PSP fans are by far different. Not many double dip on both, so I don't get developers gambles.

NintendoPie said:
d21lewis said:

But to answer your question:  Yeah.  If there's a game series I like, I follow it to the ends of the earth.  That's why I have Resident Evil on PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii, and 3DS.  That's why I have Street Fighter on Snes, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBA, 3DS, 360, PSP, Dreacast, and more.  I don't let things like hardware confine me.  I play what I want to play 10 times out of 10.

You must have a lot of room for all of those games and consoles, D21!

Nah.  My PSV, Wii, PS3, and Xbox pretty much made all of their predecessors obsolete.  I do miss my Dreamcast which I gave to my sister, though.  I never played it but it was more for decoration than anything.  Gave away my Snes, GBA, GB, too.  The current gen consoles and the 3DS/Vita cover a lot of generations.  I did have to box up a lot of games, though.

This dude made some valid points, but also couldn't back some of his arguments for exampe buying a console for just one game, sometimes there's an only and only game that you want to play in a differente console. Also some people can't afford to just buy a new console out of nowhere.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

MDMAlliance said:
Heavenly_King said:

Not sure if serious.... As I said before buying a console for just one game is just plain stupidity.

On the other hand if you are kind of "fanatic" of that game then logic and reason do not apply.

Fan = This game is awesome!!

Fanatic = ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG!! I can not live without this game. I will sell my kidney to buy the ultra deluxe mega expensive Gold edition of the game twice. ¬_¬

Fan = Fanatic. 

According to the American Heritage College Dictionary,:

A fan is "an ardent devotee, an enthusiast."

A Fanatic is defined as "a person marked by an extreme unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause."

Even though in the beginning Fan was used as abreviation of fanatic, it no longer refers to the same "quality" of a person

The distinction, then, rests on whether the enthusiasm is ardent or unreasoning (ilogical).

I other words Fan Fanatic.

Around the Network
Pesmerga7551 said:
I voted no, but it's really a depends on the situation.

Valkyria Chronicles is one game I enjoyed on my PS3, and than I heard that the next one is out on a portable. I don't like half-assed gaming so I skipped it. I don't understand their move. They ditched their fanbase, as it was on the PS3. PS3 and Vita/PSP fans are by far different. Not many double dip on both, so I don't get developers gambles.

simple, the costs of making a PSP game was less than that of a PS3 one, thats the main reason right there

Heavenly_King said:

A Fanatic is defined as "a person marked by an extreme unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause."

Even though in the beginning Fan was used as abreviation of fanatic, it no longer refers to the same "quality" of a person

The distinction, then, rests on whether the enthusiasm is ardent or unreasoning (ilogical).

I agree that Fan <> Fanatic, but nowhere in this thread are we talking about a fanatic. We're talking about "an ardent devotee, an enthusiast". If I consider a game a nice-to-have, then I'm not a fan. Plain and simple stuff bro.

Heavenly_King said:
MDMAlliance said:
Heavenly_King said:

Not sure if serious.... As I said before buying a console for just one game is just plain stupidity.

On the other hand if you are kind of "fanatic" of that game then logic and reason do not apply.

Fan = This game is awesome!!

Fanatic = ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG, ZOMG!! I can not live without this game. I will sell my kidney to buy the ultra deluxe mega expensive Gold edition of the game twice. ¬_¬

Fan = Fanatic. 

I knew what you meant, I was just kidding with you.  Otherwise I would have said more than just "fan = fanatic"

Cobretti2 said:

you need to learn how to negotiate with your parents.

For example, when you go to buy school books, tell them they cost 4x what they really do. Then spend the other 3/4 of the money on a new console. In my case it was a 32MB geforce 2 (when those bastards were $300) haha. SO many years ago now.

I don't think my parents could be easily tricked like that. 

MDMAlliance said:

I knew what you meant, I was just kidding with you.  Otherwise I would have said more than just "fan = fanatic"

-_-