By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony have cut the PS3's price last year?

Was it worth it?

Yes 39 43.33%

No 51 56.67%

Total:90
AndrewWK said:
Significant_leap said:
to make me buy it, Sony should cut the price to 99$

Please for Chirsts sake stop trolling Sony! Nobody takes you serious anymore, you are just annoying.

please don't bring your personal grudges to this thread.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
AndrewWK said:
Significant_leap said:
to make me buy it, Sony should cut the price to 99$

Please for Chirsts sake stop trolling Sony! Nobody takes you serious anymore, you are just annoying.

please don't bring your personal grudges to this thread.

Sorry I did not meant to. I have no grudge against him at all. But wherever his posts something it is bullshiting Sony, and I don´t think that posts like this contribute anything to this discussion. It is more like "Look at me I don´t like SONY and SONY exclusives look at me here..."

Isn´t this the definition of trolling?

Persistantthug said:
Jay520 said:
Should Sony have cut the PS3's price from $299 to $249 last year?

Some things to consider.

The PS3 outsold its HD competitor, the Xbox 360, by about 300k units last year.

The PS3 is currently outselling the Xbox 360 by about 1.1m for 2012 right now.

Now was it all worth it? Sony gave up $50 of profit per ps3 but was it really worth it for them? Was it worth beating the X360 last year by a mere 300k units? Or should Sony have just let the 360 beat it? Also, for the first half of 2012, the ps3 is outselling the 360 by about 1m units. Would this have happened even without the price cut?

discuss

Where can this be confirmed?

Link please.

Actually this is a VGC exclusive.

The rest of the world sees this in a different way. Just read my sig.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Yes it was worth it, 1.4 million units more than the X360. How is that not worth it?

Well there's a rumored PS3 "super slim" that may launch at $199, so if that turns into reailty, I think the previous price cut will be seen as the paving to dominace.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Bristow9091 said:
I think it was a good idea and beneficial to them, I mean sure they're not making as much money per console, but once someone buys a PS3, they're also going to be buying games, maybe more controllers or a Move controller and other peripherals etc. and possibly subscribe to Playstation+. All these possibilities will surely net Sony more than $50 profit from one customer, although on the flipside, they could have bought a PS3 for $50 more and STILL got everything I mentioned, so Sony would still be making $50 more than they are now regardless, however, I think seeing the console at a cheaper price pushes more people to finally take the dive and buy it (Which is what we're seeing with higher sales numbers), so yeah I definitely think they've benefited more from the price cut.

yes, but you have to assume those people will spend an extra $50. With the ps3 being $50 more expensive, you can guarantee that every customer will spend the extra $50. Also, I don't think the price cut really drove sales that much considering ps3 vs 360 sales this year isn't much different than last year.

Well, this is a case of the seen vs the unseen. You might say that the gap is flat, but who's to say that the gap would have been smaller without the price cut?

Honestly, this is an incredibly hard discussion to have. In order to gain an accurate answer, you'd need to perform studies on the purchasing decisions on those who bought the console before and after the price cut, and also to study those people who still decided against buying the console before and after.

There were also millions of other alternatives that Sony could have taken. If Kyne's numbers are right and it's cost Sony $700m, we should consider everything else Sony could have done with that money. Cut the price of software/accessories? Increased funding to advertising campaigns? Spent that money securing exclusive content? We'd need to analyse all of these situations, and what that would have done for Sony's net financials.

Also, Sony is about so much more than Playstation... should they have spent more of that money on R&D for smartphones and TVs? Should they have spent that money rebranding Vaio? And so many other alternatives... any of these could have helped Sony turn to profitability in the long run.

Hell, they could have just done nothing with the money, and used it to improve their numbers.

What I'm getting at, here, is that it's impossible to really know what Sony should have done with that money... in fact, it would probably cost us more money than it cost them to work out what they should have done with it. Normally, the best people to make the decision are the people at Sony themselves - I say normally, because looking at Sony's performance in recent years, it may be the case that they need to change who makes these decisions.

No theyt shouldn't because at this point in time it's not important anymore who wins or loses the console war. Sony would have benefited from those $50 in profits instead.

No it would have made more sense a year later. Sales were pretty good and the cut wasn't that drastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
No it would have made more sense a year later. Sales were pretty good and the cut wasn't that drastic.

I remmember people saying that the Wii price cut was bad timing... And everyone was saying that the Ps3 pricut was bombastic. 

Yay!!!

Dgc1808 said:
Even if it only sold 10m last year at300$ i think SONY should have stuck it out. at this point, the xbox leading by as much as 6m wont mean that much. Take 3rd place. pocket the 500M. They need to focus on profit more than marketshare right now.

Where is this 6 million coming from because as of right now, according to VGChartz, the gap is only 2 million.  Unless you mean xbox leading by 6 million if sony would have not cut the ps3 price.