By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony have cut the PS3's price last year?

Was it worth it?

Yes 39 43.33%

No 51 56.67%

Total:90
AndrewWK said:
They cut the price and outsold the XBox, maybe they would anyway but we don´t know for certain. I think it was a good move.

Were those 300k units really worth it?

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
AndrewWK said:
They cut the price and outsold the XBox, maybe they would anyway but we don´t know for certain. I think it was a good move.

The problem with those speculations is we will never know how much it would have sold otherwise. I thik it was worth it.

Jay520 said:
Should Sony have cut the PS3's price from $299 to $249 last year?

Some things to consider.

The PS3 outsold its HD competitor, the Xbox 360, by about 300k units last year.

The PS3 is currently outselling the Xbox 360 by about 1.1m for 2012 right now.

Now was it all worth it? Sony gave up $50 of profit per ps3 but was it really worth it for them? Was it worth beating the X360 last year by a mere 300k units? Or should Sony have just let the 360 beat it? Also, for the first half of 2012, the ps3 is outselling the 360 by about 1m units. Would this have happened even without the price cut?

discuss

Where can this be confirmed?

Link please.

Persistantthug said:
Jay520 said:
Should Sony have cut the PS3's price from $299 to $249 last year?

Some things to consider.

The PS3 outsold its HD competitor, the Xbox 360, by about 300k units last year.

The PS3 is currently outselling the Xbox 360 by about 1.1m for 2012 right now.

Now was it all worth it? Sony gave up $50 of profit per ps3 but was it really worth it for them? Was it worth beating the X360 last year by a mere 300k units? Or should Sony have just let the 360 beat it? Also, for the first half of 2012, the ps3 is outselling the 360 by about 1m units. Would this have happened even without the price cut?

discuss

Where can this be confirmed?

Link please.

Vgchartz.com

Jay520 said:
AndrewWK said:

I don't know why you are assuming it was just 300k units. Maybe they would have lost by a million or something like that. We'll never know the answer.

Around the Network

to make me buy it, Sony should cut the price to 99$

I would not have gotten my PS3 last year if it was not 250 dollars

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Given Sony's financial situation over the last couple of years, probably not. Sony needs to save any price cuts for the Vita. The PS3 is doing great.

Even if it only sold 10m last year at300$ i think SONY should have stuck it out. at this point, the xbox leading by as much as 6m wont mean that much. Take 3rd place. pocket the 500M. They need to focus on profit more than marketshare right now.

4 ≈ One

Significant_leap said:
to make me buy it, Sony should cut the price to 99$

Please for Chirsts sake stop trolling Sony! Nobody takes you serious anymore, you are just annoying.