Is dropping Resistance a good idea?

Yes 138 56.79%

No 65 26.75%

I just wanna see the results 39 16.05%

Total:242
PlaystaionGamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Resistance 3 has sold well though? its at like 1.13mil and it was only released Chrsitmas 2011? it will probs go over 2mil lifetime! i think there is a place for Resistance 4 on the PS3 or PS4 at some point tbh

The series has halved in sales with each game... unfortunately, it's done for. The only way it'll survive is if we get a massive reboot with PS4 and said reboot is critically acclaimed (like meta in the 90s).

but it will prbs sell as much as Resistance 2? plus these games selling a million copys brings in a nice amont of money. its not like the series is loosing money! HOW is Ratchet and Clank getting like a 5th game on the PS3 this Christmas and Resistance is being dropped. 

Will it? Does it have legs?

What does it do weekly nowadays?

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
Resistance 3 has sold well though? its at like 1.13mil and it was only released Chrsitmas 2011? it will probs go over 2mil lifetime! i think there is a place for Resistance 4 on the PS3 or PS4 at some point tbh

The series has halved in sales with each game... unfortunately, it's done for. The only way it'll survive is if we get a massive reboot with PS4 and said reboot is critically acclaimed (like meta in the 90s).

but it will prbs sell as much as Resistance 2? plus these games selling a million copys brings in a nice amont of money. its not like the series is loosing money! HOW is Ratchet and Clank getting like a 5th game on the PS3 this Christmas and Resistance is being dropped. 

Will it? Does it have legs?

What does it do weekly nowadays?

no idea.. tbh im just sad to see a series be dropped. mind i would rather Heavnly Sword 2 over Resistance 4

TeddostheFireKing said:

I'm really sad to hear this, for those of you who say the series couldn't develop into  a universe, Resistance: Retribution and Resistance 2 open up a hole world of possibilities. There are so many story lines they could do with the Cloven, the original Chimera (not hybrids!), the race which the Chimera fought for Earth X many years ago. I even preferred Resistance to Killzone :/

Maybe they will replace it with something better. I understand how a fan must feal about this, but the bright side is there is now place for another major AAA franchise. And if you like the FPS genre then the Santa Monica FPS might redeem the death of Resistance.

sales2099 said:
Kresnik said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
sales2099 said:
Kinda reinforces my belief that you cant just pump out exclusives and expect the gamers to love you. You need fewer, but more memorable exclusives....games that the public actually cares about.

But with this, the Vita game pretty much clinched it.

I've liked the way Sony handled it this gen. They had those "memorable," mass-appeal, high-sellers like the Uncharted series, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3/ascension, LBP and MGS4. TLOU has some great selling potential to. But along with those they had some great niche titles like Heavy Rain, Resistance series, Killzone series and countless PSN games. I would say all they need to do is replace LBP and MGS4 with 2 other big sellers (since MM has stopped on LBP and MGS may never be platform exclusive again), keep Uncharted, GOW and Gran Turismo going and keep delivering the decent, 2m-ish sellers. They are clearly profitable, and together they can drive people to buying the system. 

Agree with this.  I don't understand why someone would say that Sony are 'pumping out exclusives' that the general public don't care about.   They've carried on God of War & Gran Turismo from previous gens, and built LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted from the ground up for this gen.  Exactly the same number of mass-appeal games as Microsoft, in fact (Halo, Fable, Forza, Gears).

Just because they've got smaller, more niche games in the mix doesn't mean they haven't got the mass appeal games too.

Where the difference lies is frequency. Both now have their top 4 franchises, but only MS excels because of they like to expand on what their fans like rather then trying ideas that they may not want. They have XBLA for that. 

Below im comparing the top selling franchises. 

1. Halo lifetime 360 sales =  30.5 M,     GT lifetime PS3 sales = 7.66 M

2. Gears of War lifetime 360 sales = 17.8 M,     Uncharted lifetime PS3 sales = 14.25

3. Forza Motorsport lifetime 360 sales = 11.3 M,     LBP lifetime PS3 sales = 7.48 M

4. Fable lifetime 360 sales = 8.8 M,    GOW lifetime PS3 sales = 6.87

As you can see, Sony has 4 top franchises as does MS, but it is frequency that really separates the two. It isn't enough to just make 1 or 2 games for a blockbuster franchise. If your fans want more, you give them more. But thats the 360 fanbase talking. Both groups have their separate tastes. 

Quite a few issues with these numbers.

GOW:Ascension is coming out, and I think we'll agree that the minimum it'll sell is 3 million, making that GOW number 10 million. You've skipped over Prologue, which has sold 4m, so the GT number should me 11.66m. Another LBP game is on the way.

Halo is untouchable of course, and Gears is a little ahead of Uncharted (Uncharted will 16m, maybe 17, has fantastic legs) with Judgement on the way. But that's about it. 

I loved the series (played the hell out of Fall of Man, and a good amount of R2) but I must say that ending it is a good idea. I'm a fan of good series calling it quits before they get stale or try to re-invent themselves in an effort to stay relevant/fresh but just end up sucking ass.

Around the Network
Kinneas14 said:
It's a good idea to end the franchise. Resistance was a good new IP, it sold good, but its time is over. There are plenty of other FPS, and there's no point in continue this series.

I still have to play a Resistance game, I was/am interested in it because it's made by Insomniac, but I'm not into FPS, maybe someday when a Trilogy Collection will be available....

Unless Sony farms it out to someone, I doubt there will be a trilogy, especially not on the PS4. This franchise is done for good. 

The games were pretty good. 3 was not that great IMO. The addition of the PSN Pass has kept me from purchasing any games and this one was one of the ones cancelled that was originally a day one purchase. They could have done a lot better on the 3rd IMO. Graphics were ok and game play was a little off.

IamAwsome said:
Kinneas14 said:
It's a good idea to end the franchise. Resistance was a good new IP, it sold good, but its time is over. There are plenty of other FPS, and there's no point in continue this series.

I still have to play a Resistance game, I was/am interested in it because it's made by Insomniac, but I'm not into FPS, maybe someday when a Trilogy Collection will be available....

Unless Sony farms it out to someone, I doubt there will be a trilogy, especially not on the PS4. This franchise is done for good. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-25-sony-confirms-resistance-the-trilogy-release

This rumour was going around a while ago.  That article says Sony confirmed a trilogy release.  I wonder if it'll happen, since the release date has gone.  It wouldn't be difficult to release them in a bundle though, since there's no extra programming to be done.

Resistance is one of the best shooter franchise this gen along with Killzone.

I really liked the Resistance series. R1, R3 and Retribution are among the good game i played this gen
I loved the story and the setting and preferred it over other FPS.

While it sadness me to hear this, i think its about time the series end.
Next gen is almost here and its time to work on a new IP.

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)