By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Atheist Blogger converts to Catholicism...

richardhutnik said:
NintendoPie said:
Well... that's pretty odd. It's usually the other way around.

As far as bloggers go it is?  Any Christian bloggers turned atheist you know of?

Just about all of them... Matt Dillahunty, the TTA guy for example...  Dillahunty was at one point going to become a priest lol. And the TTA guy ran a christian radio show. Though I guess they weren't bloggers when they left Christianity.

Around the Network

My family is catholic. They'll be happy to see this xD

They'll be even happier for me seeing this, which sucks.

I agree with her deconverting from atheism, but I find Catholicism in general and the "moral framework" of it in particular to be an odd choice. Christianity as a whole is out of date, Catholicism especially so.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Seems odd- especially listening to her talk - especially of all the ones to join - one that does so many dark things to kids, women, etc.

But, often, if you wait a couple of years, they go back - or choose another extreme. Look at 'Dr. Laura.' She went from never wanting children and having to tubes tied at a rather young age, to getting them reversed. Then poping one out, and changing to being a mother is the most important thing ever.

The, when people pointed out her kid 'seemed really gay - like how many 9 year old play chess and go antiquing.' To hating gays, to mellowing out a bit again and claiming "One of my best friends is gay."

Some people just need more attention, and when they stop getting it, they will do something new and shocking to get it again.

This women, who I have never heard before today, just seems really insincere.  Plus she was writing about platonic forms and souls - so she wasn't really an athiest anyway.  More like someone who hasn't chosen a faith choses the one her friends and boyfriend were. 

I wonder if the book and movie are coming out soon.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

binary solo said:
I agree with her deconverting from atheism, but I find Catholicism in general and the "moral framework" of it in particular to be an odd choice. Christianity as a whole is out of date, Catholicism especially so.

There are two driving forces in the Catholic Church. Faith and tradition. I would say faith can never become out of date. As for Catholic traditions, yes many may seem out of date, but within a generation many may change. For instance right now some priests from another church are being alowed to convert and be Catholic priests even though they are married and have children. It's possible that in the near future this will cause a rift that may alow all Catholic priests to marry. It's a tradition not a law. As for the moral framework of the Catholic Church, it tries to follow Jesus's teachings about forgiveness, love, etc. as openly as possible. But like I said I don't think that goes out of style.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
NintendoPie said:
Well... that's pretty odd. It's usually the other way around.

As far as bloggers go it is?  Any Christian bloggers turned atheist you know of?

DonExodus2 did, I know that.

If this was a story about a christian blogger becoming atheist, it would get no attention whatsoever.

Because it's a story about an atheist blogger becoming a christian, even major news networks are covering it. And who was this "famous blogger"? This is the first time I've ever heard of her. And apparently, she's so popular that the only way to find a link to her blog using google when blocking instances of stories about her conversion is to specifically put both her name and the name of the blog in.

It's just plain absurd. If it were, say, Richard Dawkins, or Morgan Freeman, then I'd understand the coverage. This is the sort of "news" that justifies a one-paragraph "interesting bit of news" sort of thing, not entire articles. And I can tell you right now, if the situation were reversed, and the blogger were converting to atheism, if it were covered at all, the story would be cast in a negative light... at least, that's how it would be over there in American media.

There's a reason why polls in America show that people would be more willing to vote for a muslim for president than for an atheist, and it's by no fault of the atheist or of atheism in general.

God bless her

I should add, I have no issue with her actual conversion. To each their own.

Having said that, I feel that my own position on morality would likely have been at least as strong to her as the one provided by catholicism, and does so in such a way as to be consistent with her view on the whole "Forms" thing. A strong morality can be found by logic and basic axioms (such as what I call the axiom of consistency - it's very similar to the golden rule, but applies to the morals themselves, in that anything that I consider moral to do to you, I must also consider moral for you to do to me, and similar in terms of immorality).

Starting with a set of reasonable axioms, one can derive such relatively obvious morals as "don't kill other people unnecessarily", "take proper care of the environment", and "give to those less fortunate than yourself".

kain_kusanagi said:
binary solo said:

There are two driving forces in the Catholic Church. Faith and tradition. I would say faith can never become out of date. As for Catholic traditions, yes many may seem out of date, but within a generation many may change. For instance right now some priests from another church are being alowed to convert and be Catholic priests even though they are married and have children. It's possible that in the near future this will cause a rift that may alow all Catholic priests to marry. It's a tradition not a law. As for the moral framework of the Catholic Church, it tries to follow Jesus's teachings about forgiveness, love, etc. as openly as possible. But like I said I don't think that goes out of style.

I put priests (ordained clergy in general) and confession into the Catholic "moral framework". Both are very outdated and will never come back into currency. Indeed I'd suggest confession should never have been part of Christianity in the first place. Then there's the contraception thing and divorce. How are those moral doctrines sustainable when a great many Catholics don't abide by them? Heaven and hell are also part of the Christian/Catholic moral framework and they are not sustainable moral concepts, IMO, the way they are envisioned in Christianity.

Love, forgiveness, service, generosity, honesty etc are universal and eternal religious values. But that's a religious moral framework in general, not Christian or Catholic. It's the detailed doctrines of the particular religion / sect that creates the unique moral framework for a given faith.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix