By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will the Vita get THE game.

MDMAlliance said:
bananaking21 said:
am i the only one who thinks soul sacrifice has the chance to be an awesome game and system seller?

Sadly, awesome games don't always make the best system sellers.  The mass market tends to buy into specific things (like Halo 4 and Call of Duty getting massive amounts of pre-orders).

yeah i know that of course, but these games werent considered mass market games before they launched. but after they launched they turned out to be huge hits. im not saying soul sacrifice can be as big as halo or gran turismo, but i do see it having the potential to sell a good amount of systems and reaching 1.5 to 2.5 million sales life time. thats being very opitimistic though of course and it most probably wont sell that much

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
d21lewis said:
God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo--all great series but I don't think any of them will "put asses in the seats" when it comes to selling the Vita. That franchise that will sell the Vita has yet to be created. Even all of the new IP's that Sony has pushed this gen aren't big enough yet. They still need to grow. Their best bet will be Battle Royal but I don't think that game is going to be huge, either--AND it's not exclusive to the Vita....

Didn't Mick Foley do just that?   Shifting viewers away from Monday Night Nitro to Monday Night Raw and thus win the "Monday Night Wars".  But anyways, each of those franchises alone wouldn't do it, but together they can.  I personally think the bigger problem is the lack of advertising in general;  Uncharted: Golden Abyss should have been marketed as the second coming of christ and Gravity Daze should be given the same treatment... and a Saturday morning cartoon.

My God, you're good.  That's exactly where I got that quote from!  It was from ten or fiteen friggin years ago!! 

And I agree with the rest of your post, too. In the USA, every Vita ad that I've seen has failed to show people the reason that they should buy the console--THE GAMES.  I've seen the guy walking to work while playing baseball.  I've seen a guy hold his Vita up to look at some invisible image in the park.  I've seen a guy walking around with his Vita whilst being watched by another guy playing with his Vita.  I have yet to see a single commercial saying, "HEY, WE HAVE SOME AWESOME GAMES WITH GREAT GRAPHICS."

d21lewis said:

My God, you're good.  That's exactly where I got that quote from!  It was from ten or fiteen friggin years ago!! 

And I agree with the rest of your post, too. In the USA, every Vita ad that I've seen has failed to show people the reason that they should buy the console--THE GAMES.  I've seen the guy walking to work while playing baseball.  I've seen a guy hold his Vita up to look at some invisible image in the park.  I've seen a guy walking around with his Vita whilst being watched by another guy playing with his Vita.  I have yet to see a single commercial saying, "HEY, WE HAVE SOME AWESOME GAMES WITH GREAT GRAPHICS."

13 years back, and you know what the joke is?  I didn't even see that Nitro.  TSN had both Raw and Nito up here in Canada so they were never showed at the same time, and I must not have seen it that week, did watch the Raw though.  On the off topic of Sony advertising; I actually think those commericials were good at showing off what the Vita can do.  The problem is, as you said, they don't advertise the games specifically.  I think it's time to bring back Mr. Buttler and get some game based commercials back... or a Saturday morning cartoon for Gravity Daze.  Either one.

Edit: That's a lie, I did see that Nitro.  I remember Hogan fingerpoking Nash, I was laughing my ass off at it (Not in a bad way).  Never paid much attention to it as a "dissapointment" until many years later.

There are plenty of western titles that could help Vita.
I cannot emphasize sufficiently the idea that if Vita begins to get RockStar games It would be a boon to the system. I used to just say GTA but their portfolio seems to be becoming quite large and many of those games could easily work with Vita too. GTA on PSP lead to great things and was easily one of the best sellers on PSP. Civ on Vita could do well. Any of those heavy hitters could be the game.

EA. Yearly sports games will likely be Vita's bread and butter. The first FIFA even has positive impression with usage of new mechanics. If smartglass and Wii U tablet can make Madden a better game then I doubt we could claim different of Vita.
Also Burnout and NFS. Great arcade racers with great appeal especially if they have all those fun modes like from legends or maybe it was revenge.

I really think Sony should bribe Insomniac to bring over Outernauts that could easily be the game. Or they can get some artists and those AR game guys on a new Invizmals. That could work well too.

Playstation Suite should help bolster a lot of smaller indie western support as well. Who knows what may come of that little venture. The Suite looks pretty good. It's very similar to other indie solutions as well which should only help support.

Trollface: The game. This would end the 3DS.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network

I know the Vita and PSP are not the same system and you can't use past trends to signify future truths, but some of the comments here. An awful Call of Duty spinoff did over 2 million on a one-knub PSP. Do people really think it's far fetched to do half that?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Did the PSP ever have THE Game? I never picked up a PSP so I guess no game ever made me need it. Right now I feel the same about the Vita. I've wanted a 3DS for awhile, but I was waiting for the redesign. Since it won't be getting a second stick I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll either pick up a used one for Mario 3D Land, MK7, and Zelda OoT or I'll just keep waiting for a 3DS with better battery and no need for a wonky add on stick. The Vita has some good games but nothing that makes me feel like it's worth it yet.

I bought the Vita on Wednesday because I needed something to keep me occupied while working security. The reason I picked it up over the 3DS was mainly because of trophy support. That was the killer app for me.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Gta 5 spinoff

Funny at the people who said that a Gran Turismo, Uncharted and God of War game would not push sales.

When a niche game like Gravity Rush push vitas why should a God of War Game not push hardware?
Gran Turismo 5 sold over 7,7 M, Uncharted 2 sold over 6 M and God of War 3 sold over 5 M and now there are people who think those games would sell systems. Sure they havent the selling power like a Mario Game but combined they have a huge fanbase. And the reason i bought a PS3 are Gran Turismo and God of War 3.

And the reason i bought a vita were Uncharted Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush. So we can easily say that Uncharted moved vitas. This was the only reason why most people get a vita at the beginning. If Uncharted wouldnt be a launch title i haved buyed the vita some monts later.

And Soul Sacrifice has the potential to become really big. Even a monster hunter game has need time to become big. Bundling, good advertising, good reviews can make this game the monster hunter for the vita.