By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Why the 3DS does NOT need a second analogue nub (and will you be getting the 3DSXL?)

Should the 3DS have a second analogue nub?

Yes! 103 40.87%

No! 73 28.97%

I DON'T CARE! 48 19.05%

View results... 27 10.71%

Total:251
Aielyn said:
The obvious possibility is that the 3DS XL is designed in such a way that it is easier to add a second circle pad than it was on the 3DS. That way, they can release a peripheral to go with the system, thereby preventing the "all the games will use it" problem without leaving the system lacking.

Don't forget, it's not like the 3DS XL is replacing the 3DS. The smaller version will still be around just as much. The XL is for those who want a larger version - not everybody will.

Perhaps. And I never said it would replace the current 3DS model, however, the DSLite replaced the DS, and the DSi the DS...

Releasing a second circle pad add-on would be the best option to try and avoid the issues I outlined. It's whether or not it would be supported, something which very few Nintendo add-ons were.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I'm getting it day 1. Just need to find out the colours they're releasing it in over here so I can make up my mind on that...

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Yes, it should have a second stick! If I don't get a Wii U, and a 3DS redesign with a second stick is on the way, I'll get that instead.

But I still don't see what advantage a second nub would gain. It's like if I were to slap a touchscreen onto a PS3 controller. None of the games currently require it, and none of the games will make use of it. Why would it be any different with the 3DS?

And a 3DS redesign isn't on the way. This new one will be the only one for a good couple years.

None of the games will make use of it? We don't know that, and even if games don't require it, those that make good use of it will be great. It's really usefull on most games that have TP and expecially FP perspectives. Actually, it's useful in most games, as it means you can move the character and camera around at the same time with ease.

@bolded Well, nintendo just lost one 3DS sale and one pokemon game sale!!!!

Did you even read my OP, I wonder? I explained myself in that, and also any reasoning, pretty well I thought :/

To be honest. no lolz.

I just skimmed through, I'll take a nice long read now.

in the first place i think Nintendo will give 3DSXL a second nub, but this 2nd nub is not that nessecary, Nintendo with 3DS really know their market. we can see the result of Resident Evil Revelation and MGS 3D sales. so i think Nintendo will move on with their decision. but im not gonna buy 3DS XL in D1, i really happy with my shiny little first 3DS.

Conegamer said:
however, the DSLite replaced the DS, and the DSi the DS...

Well, the DSi didn't really replace the DS, but that's not the point. The DS Lite was pretty much the same as the DS in terms of everything except quality (the DS Lite fixed a number of issues with the DS). So the DS Lite replaced the DS.

Notice that the DSi XL didn't replace the DSi? The XL versions are not unlike different colours - the Sky Blue DS Lite didn't replace the Black DS Lite. A larger 3DS will be preferred by some people, but others will prefer the smaller form of the original 3DS. The only non-subjective difference is the battery life - and since many people probably aren't overly concerned about gaining half an hour of life, it won't make much difference. So it falls to personal preference, and both will coexist nicely.

Around the Network

I would have liked it to have it at launch but adding it post launch would just upset everybody already with one. Would be a better system if it had one though.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

No because then it would have to find a way to incorporate the ZR and ZL buttons as well thus messing up the design.

This is so bought... I'll be in the US in the time of launch... so don't sell out on me, please!

And seriously, this is going to murder Japan. I cannot even start to predict sales levels for this year there, in both hardware and specially software

Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Yes, it should have a second stick! If I don't get a Wii U, and a 3DS redesign with a second stick is on the way, I'll get that instead.

But I still don't see what advantage a second nub would gain. It's like if I were to slap a touchscreen onto a PS3 controller. None of the games currently require it, and none of the games will make use of it. Why would it be any different with the 3DS?

And a 3DS redesign isn't on the way. This new one will be the only one for a good couple years.

Nintendo says: The second analog is not vital for the 3DS, yet we offer those who would like that option a thing called the circle pad pro. Arent you lucky? They are already giving you what you want, you just dont want to see it. :)

Nem said:
Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Nintendo says: The second analog is not vital for the 3DS, yet we offer those who would like that option a thing called the circle pad pro. Arent you lucky? They are already giving you what you want, you just dont want to see it. :)

Yes, so we don't need to complain when there's no second nub in the actual design, do we?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.