By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We won't show PS4 until it can demonstrate 'a significant leap'

Will PS4 be alien technology?

Yeah 208 53.06%

No 183 46.68%

Total:391
superchunk said:
ugh... so PS4 to lose millions for years and cost over $600 at launch?

Could cost more! 

Seen as how many people think it'll have an Alien sort of affect on technology meaning it'll be ridiculously strong, correct?

Hopefully Sony won't go down that route though, for their sake.

Around the Network

No, no, it will be alien technology at 300$ and budled with Uncharted 5
Lol.

Persistantthug said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Persistantthug said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Where are these whimsical sources you are referring?

Links please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted:_Drake%27s_Fortune 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_2:_Among_Thieves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_3:_Drake%27s_Deception

Check the engines section, if further proof is needed check the citation. 

The last of us: http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/05/20/naughty-dog-on-the-last-of-us-graphics-engine-improvements/

textures, rendering style, lighting engine and art direction.

Out of that, the only thing that'll be noticeable is the lighting (and of course art direction, but that's not a technical improvement). This is a tiny progression.

Shit, we've taken this off topic for long enough. I'm done here, if you wanna continue just pm me.

None of that shows or tells what engine or engine revision Naughty Dog is using for The Last Of US.....

You basically just made it up, and have pretended that you know what ND is doing..........basically.

Please stop.

I said I wasn't sure about what TLOU engine was titled, you're right though, shouldn't of coupled an estimation in with fact without proper explanation. But looking at what ND said (in the link I provided) you can tell the visual difference is tiny. 

And I haven't pretended to know what ND is doing. Seriously dude, it was in the link I gave you. They describe the changes to the engine. It shows plenty of info, specifically about the updates to the engine.

Please admit that the visual difference is tiny, It's getting harder and harder for Devs to push the consoles further and further. Uncharted to Uncharted 2 was a giant leap, Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 3 is a moderate leap, Uncharted 3 to TLOU is a small leap. At least bloody acknowledge that, it shows how the consoles are indeed hitting a wall. 

I'm confident that the PS4 and Xbox 3 will debut at E3 next year.

MS might push for a holiday 2013 release if that 2 year old leaked document is to be believed accurate but I'm not sure how they can launch a $300 machine with kinect and be up to 6x as powerful without taking a loss per system and/or risking faulty hardware. A $50-$100 loss might be what it's looking like. MS can do it so I wouldn't be surprised. Releasing year of and during the holiday would generate good buzz in their biggest markets the US/EU. Buzz they will need since the 360 is lossing sales strength, a new system could be justified in 2013.

Sony will come last but by less than year, getting a headstart of the holiday season in spring or late summer 2014. They don't want to wait too long after the Xbox 3 to launch but economically there might be good reason to wait even longer. The PS3 has strong sales for an old console in the off season and could indicate continuing sales even through 2013/2014. Sony could hold off till holiday 2014 which would ensure them more time for there company to strengthen from its transition and their big developers to provide blockbuster launch titles they would need to pull off a late launch. Releasing earlier would force them to reduce the hardware capabilities and risk being outgunned next gen by MS ability to throw money into the Xbox 3. Sony would be better off leveraging themselves against the Wii U for multiplats with PS3 than to release PS4 early just to be competing with PS3 on top of next gen systems. The PS4 will need to be at least as powerful as the Xbox 3 and they won't pull that off by jumping the gun and risking one of the few profitable divisions they have.

It will be interesting to see if PS4 or Xbox 3 will be the more powerful/better machine. MS has the money while Sony has the time.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

According to ND, TLOU has better lightning effects and more detailed character models than U3. they have optimized their engine a little bit after U3.

Around the Network
Birimbau said:
According to ND, TLOU has better lightning effects and more detailed character models than U3. they have optimized their engine a little bit after U3.

Nah uh....... 

Andrespetmonkey says and knows better than Naughty Dog....  Nah uh.

TLOU looks definitely better than UC3 but i dont see any significant leap...and we wont be seeing it until next gen comes

mantlepiecek said:
Jay520 said:
I hope he's talking about gaming quality rather than raw power.

Well. He obviously means raw power. Gaming quality depends upon the software.

Then coming from Sony it means gaming quality.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

I don't now why people complain about a console for $599 at launch, knowing that this console will be supported by first and third games for the next 6 years+, but I don't see something like this when I look at smartphones, I see people buying IPhones for $499-$599 at launch and replacing it with a new model 1 year later for the same price with a smile on their faces.

PSwii60 said:
This goes to show Sony hasn't learned from PS3, PSPgo, and Vita, and can also be interpreted as, 'We ain't got nuttin' right now; we have much to learn from Wii U and most especially the X720. We will stay firm with the 10 year plan we pronounced.'

It means nothing of the sort. Every generation has ALWAYS been a "significant leap". PS1 and N64 to Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox and Gamecube was a massive leap and so was this gen, excluding Nintendo. What Sony is saying is that they're not going to release a Wii U console. They're going to do what they, and the industry, has always done. That's a GOOD thing.

The only reason the PS3 was so expensive is because of the Blu-Ray drive. If that system went DVD, it would have been $400.00 like the 360.