By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We won't show PS4 until it can demonstrate 'a significant leap'

Will PS4 be alien technology?

Yeah 208 53.06%

No 183 46.68%

Total:391
Birimbau said:
I don't now why people complain about a console for $599 at launch, knowing that this console will be supported by first and third games for the next 6 years+, but I don't see something like this when I look at smartphones, I see people buying IPhones for $499-$599 at launch and replacing it with a new model 1 year later for the same price with a smile on their faces.

i've made this point several times myself. wierd how people's minds work.

The best answer I go t was, they sell their old model when they upgrade so they are not always out of pocket $599. However initially they pay upfrotn as you would for a console.

Also, I know some will get is as 24month plan and get the handset for like $5-$10 a month on top of their month plan bill. So the handset will cost them half. But the question they don't seem to ask themselves. Do I need such a high cost monthly plan in the first place.

Sadly a video gaming console isn't valued as highly as a portable smartphone. It would be a gutsy move for Sony or Micrososft to try a $499-$599 console next gen.

Around the Network

its called "native 1080p"... there is lots more they can do to make games look better and play better. we want games that are stunning like BF3 for the PC on our console.

Dodece said:
I am somewhat bemused by the posters that think the PS4 and the Next Box will be in some way comparable as far as raw power will be concerned. Microsoft has made it a point to push the envelope. Not only does their model for console gaming allow them to have a substantial loss lead. Their cash reserves ensure they have the power to really make that a reality. I expect the Next Box to be at least twice as powerful, but more likely to be three times more powerful.

Based on the rumored specs, I doubt it.

prayformojo said:
PSwii60 said:
This goes to show Sony hasn't learned from PS3, PSPgo, and Vita, and can also be interpreted as, 'We ain't got nuttin' right now; we have much to learn from Wii U and most especially the X720. We will stay firm with the 10 year plan we pronounced.'

It means nothing of the sort. Every generation has ALWAYS been a "significant leap". PS1 and N64 to Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox and Gamecube was a massive leap and so was this gen, excluding Nintendo. What Sony is saying is that they're not going to release a Wii U console. They're going to do what they, and the industry, has always done. That's a GOOD thing.

The only reason the PS3 was so expensive is because of the Blu-Ray drive. If that system went DVD, it would have been $400.00 like the 360.

If you're really expecting an insanely high jump like last gen to this gen (Which could be attributed to HD) you may be getting your hopes up too high. Right now the tech to support that type of jump is too expensive. The BD drive was a big factor in the PS3's price, but the 360 (for its time) was still an insanely high jump and the console was still sold at a loss. If you want that type of thing to happen again, it may take several more years, and next gen is starting NOW. Evidently Microsoft knows this, and Sony knows the effects of launching late (PS3). I doubt the PS4/Nextbox will have that type of jump and still launch at an affordable price

As for the Wii U, several developers have gone on record saying the Wii U is a poweeful machine, and all of the "Weaker thn PS3/360" rumors came from "Anonymous" devs. It definetly has the power of an 8th gen console. 

usrevenge said:
its called "native 1080p"... there is lots more they can do to make games look better and play better. we want games that are stunning like BF3 for the PC on our console.

We want them to be on Ultra settings above anything else.

Around the Network
IamAwsome said:
prayformojo said:
PSwii60 said:
This goes to show Sony hasn't learned from PS3, PSPgo, and Vita, and can also be interpreted as, 'We ain't got nuttin' right now; we have much to learn from Wii U and most especially the X720. We will stay firm with the 10 year plan we pronounced.'

It means nothing of the sort. Every generation has ALWAYS been a "significant leap". PS1 and N64 to Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox and Gamecube was a massive leap and so was this gen, excluding Nintendo. What Sony is saying is that they're not going to release a Wii U console. They're going to do what they, and the industry, has always done. That's a GOOD thing.

The only reason the PS3 was so expensive is because of the Blu-Ray drive. If that system went DVD, it would have been $400.00 like the 360.

If you're really expecting an insanely high jump like last gen to this gen (Which could be attributed to HD) you may be getting your hopes up too high. Right now the tech to support that type of jump is too expensive. The BD drive was a big factor in the PS3's price, but the 360 (for its time) was still an insanely high jump and the console was still sold at a loss. If you want that type of thing to happen again, it may take several more years, and next gen is starting NOW. Evidently Microsoft knows this, and Sony knows the effects of launching late (PS3). I doubt the PS4/Nextbox will have that type of jump and still launch at an affordable price

As for the Wii U, several developers have gone on record saying the Wii U is a poweeful machine, and all of the "Weaker thn PS3/360" rumors came from "Anonymous" devs. It definetly has the power of an 8th gen console. 

No it's not.

If it is, then where are these next gen games?
I certainly don't see any for the Wii U.

So where are they if you don't mind?

Persistantthug said:
IamAwsome said:
prayformojo said:
PSwii60 said:

No it's not.

ZombiU; A refreshing new take on a done to death genre. If it's not next gen, than what do you mean by "next gen"?

IamAwsome said:
Persistantthug said:
IamAwsome said:
prayformojo said:
PSwii60 said:

No it's not.

ZombiU; A refreshing new take on a done to death genre. If it's not next gen, than what do you mean by "next gen"?

Zombie U looks like current gen Software tech.

Nothing wrong with it....but certainly looks nothing next gen.

If it's Southern Islands or the Nvidia equivalent of that, then it should be able to show a significant leap. Just please God put at least 2gb ram in it this time. Background firmware updates. Free 3-month Playstation Plus bundled with the console. Video sharing of gameplay. The works!

DirtyP2002 said:
logic56 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Pesmerga7551 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

You can have a significant leap with 600 USD PCs right now.

I read from that statement that they will wait till these specs become cheaper for them, otherwise they just can't afford it. A company that is worth 15 billion USD can't afford a product that they expect to lose 3 billion in the first 2-3 years.

Well at least if you try to be sustainable. Sony has not beed sustainable for the better part of the past decade.

When companies cry taking losses on console sales, they don't tell you they are actually making a profit overall. They can afford to take a loss for consoles as retail game sales make them money, and now with PS+ (Plus) they have a double-whammy. As long as people buy games, they are fine. It's just a marketing strategy to make them look noble, that they are taking a loss when in they really aren't.

I know the razor-blade stuff.

The point is, that this is still a risky strategy. Look how Sony failed 2006 - 2009.

wait are you telling me that consoles sold at a missive loss....... lose money? *mind blown*

Apparently it was news to some people. The point is Sony got never even close to get this money back. That is why I said it is a risky move and Sony can't afford this with all the financial problems they have.

What did you not get from my post? With all the gaming stuff added in, they can afford to take a loss per console, just like they did this generation. The only bad time to recoop these losses is the initial launch year because they sell so little consoles, mainly because there is a lower production rate at that time. Consoles are always made a little "exclusive" to bring price up, which is a strategy that needs to end. There needs to be like 4-5+ million units each quarter shipped out.