By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We won't show PS4 until it can demonstrate 'a significant leap'

Will PS4 be alien technology?

Yeah 208 53.06%

No 183 46.68%

Total:391
Persistantthug said:
superchunk said:
Persistantthug said:
superchunk said:
ugh... so PS4 to lose millions for years and cost over $600 at launch?

Don't be bitter because you were wrong again.

lol

Holiday 2014.....no sooner bud.  :)

When was I wrong? Are you referring to my bet in my sig.... pfft I wasn't 100% on that in the first place.

However PS4 in 2013 is a definite.

Obviously sir.....

Obviously.

lol

If PS4 is 2013, then Last Guardian has been pushed to next-gen over PS3, and that's why it's taking so long. 

If Last Guardian, Last of Us, and Beyond are all 2013 PS3 holiday games, then there is no way in hell they are putting PS4 up against that trifecta.  It would cannibalize sales. 

I'm 50/50 at this point, but I'd bet 720 is 2013, and Sony takes an extra year to make some good launch games, with PS4 in 2014.

Around the Network
sperrico87 said:
If PS4 is 2013, then Last Guardian has been pushed to next-gen over PS3, and that's why it's taking so long. 

If Last Guardian, Last of Us, and Beyond are all 2013 PS3 holiday games, then there is no way in hell they are putting PS4 up against that trifecta.  It would cannibalize sales. 

I'm 50/50 at this point, but I'd bet 720 is 2013, and Sony takes an extra year to make some good launch games, with PS4 in 2014.

Who said those are holiday games? Isn't TLOU likely to be Q1? TLG can be released after PS4, it'll make little to no impact on anything, no matter how great or bad it is. This happens all the time, e.g. GOW2 released on the PS2 after the PS3 came out. Not sure when Beyond will come out though.

Pesmerga7551 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
logic56 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Pesmerga7551 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

You can have a significant leap with 600 USD PCs right now.

I read from that statement that they will wait till these specs become cheaper for them, otherwise they just can't afford it. A company that is worth 15 billion USD can't afford a product that they expect to lose 3 billion in the first 2-3 years.

Well at least if you try to be sustainable. Sony has not beed sustainable for the better part of the past decade.

When companies cry taking losses on console sales, they don't tell you they are actually making a profit overall. They can afford to take a loss for consoles as retail game sales make them money, and now with PS+ (Plus) they have a double-whammy. As long as people buy games, they are fine. It's just a marketing strategy to make them look noble, that they are taking a loss when in they really aren't.

I know the razor-blade stuff.

The point is, that this is still a risky strategy. Look how Sony failed 2006 - 2009.

wait are you telling me that consoles sold at a missive loss....... lose money? *mind blown*

Apparently it was news to some people. The point is Sony got never even close to get this money back. That is why I said it is a risky move and Sony can't afford this with all the financial problems they have.

What did you not get from my post? With all the gaming stuff added in, they can afford to take a loss per console, just like they did this generation. The only bad time to recoop these losses is the initial launch year because they sell so little consoles, mainly because there is a lower production rate at that time. Consoles are always made a little "exclusive" to bring price up, which is a strategy that needs to end. There needs to be like 4-5+ million units each quarter shipped out.

All the gaming stuff added in, SCE made a 1.2 billion USD loss in 2011. That is all the gaming stuff (consoles, software, services). So it is not only the first year. SCE lost money from 2006 - 2009 (4 years) and 2011 (1 year). 2010 was breaking even.

So the PS3 proves my point that the razor-blade strategy is risky and can hurt a company really bad. Of course you need cash for this strategy and that is another point where Sony is not as strong as they used to be in 2005, just before the PS3 released.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Sony be balling next gen.

Andrespetmonkey said:
sperrico87 said:

Who said those are holiday games? Isn't TLOU likely to be Q1? TLG can be released after PS4, it'll make little to no impact on anything, no matter how great or bad it is. This happens all the time, e.g. GOW2 released on the PS2 after the PS3 came out. Not sure when Beyond will come out though.

Sony's alread said no to no new console.....several times.

Done deal

Around the Network
Persistantthug said:

Done deal

What else are they going to say? lol. They'll say no a minute before announcement, because that would be announcing. 

IamAwsome said:
Persistantthug said:
IamAwsome said:
prayformojo said:
PSwii60 said:
This goes to show Sony hasn't learned from PS3, PSPgo, and Vita, and can also be interpreted as, 'We ain't got nuttin' right now; we have much to learn from Wii U and most especially the X720. We will stay firm with the 10 year plan we pronounced.'

It means nothing of the sort. Every generation has ALWAYS been a "significant leap". PS1 and N64 to Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox and Gamecube was a massive leap and so was this gen, excluding Nintendo. What Sony is saying is that they're not going to release a Wii U console. They're going to do what they, and the industry, has always done. That's a GOOD thing.

The only reason the PS3 was so expensive is because of the Blu-Ray drive. If that system went DVD, it would have been $400.00 like the 360.

If you're really expecting an insanely high jump like last gen to this gen (Which could be attributed to HD) you may be getting your hopes up too high. Right now the tech to support that type of jump is too expensive. The BD drive was a big factor in the PS3's price, but the 360 (for its time) was still an insanely high jump and the console was still sold at a loss. If you want that type of thing to happen again, it may take several more years, and next gen is starting NOW. Evidently Microsoft knows this, and Sony knows the effects of launching late (PS3). I doubt the PS4/Nextbox will have that type of jump and still launch at an affordable price

As for the Wii U, several developers have gone on record saying the Wii U is a poweeful machine, and all of the "Weaker thn PS3/360" rumors came from "Anonymous" devs. It definetly has the power of an 8th gen console. 

No it's not.

If it is, then where are these next gen games?
I certainly don't see any for the Wii U.

So where are they if you don't mind?

ZombiU; A refreshing new take on a done to death genre. If it's not next gen, than what do you mean by "next gen"?

lol I wouldnt argue with him. clearly he has long term memry problems, When 360 and PS3 games launched they looked slightly better than Wii. If launch titles equal proof then DAMN 360 and PS3 sucked so hard.

HERE IS A VIDEO:

Andrespetmonkey said:
Persistantthug said:

Done deal

What else are they going to say? lol. They'll say no a minute before announcement, because that would be announcing. 

So Sony keeps telling you no......but all you hear is yes

lol

Classic.

lol

Persistantthug said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Persistantthug said:

Done deal

So Sony keeps telling you no......but all you hear is yes

o_O what?

I'm saying they aren't going to announce an announcement, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

If Kaz or anyone at Sony said in an interview "Yes, we;'ll be announcing PS4 at next years E3" that would be an announcement! Of course they aren't going to say that!

And what d'you mean by they've said no to new consoles? No, it isn't in development? Because we know people have been working on the hardware, and that Sony's first party are developing games for a "next-gen home console."

Andrespetmonkey said:

o_O what?

I'm saying they aren't going to announce an announcement, it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

If Kaz or anyone at Sony said in an interview "Yes, we;'ll be announcing PS4 at next years E3" that would be an announcement! Of course they aren't going to say that!

And what d'you mean by they've said no to new consoles? No, it isn't in development? Because we know people have been working on the hardware, and that Sony's first party are developing games for a "next-gen home console."

Maybe they are developing party games for the WiiU so Sony can milk the WiiU sales to make AAA games.