By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your worst RPG experience? Please no trolling.

Tagged games:

Forgot to add these two:

Wild Arms 2 (Second Disc) - It was mind-numbingly boring and repetitive. I'll finish it one day though.

Unlimited Saga - I never played it myself, but it came out when I was in high school and back then I was sharing a room with my brother. He even hated the game, but he's a glutton for punishment and played several hours of it before giving up. I still have nightmares.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

Secret of the Stars for SNES. The only good part was near the end of the game where you get a UFO that doubles as a city. Beats airships by a mile. Too bad everything else about the game was mediocre at best.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

This thread really points out how few RPGs people have played.

Mine:
Chaos Wars (it was comically bad. I say comically as you had to laugh at its voice acting)
Star Ocean 4 (fun battle system, bad everything else)
Fallout 3 (one of the few games that I've played a lot of and can say I never had any fun)
Dragon Valor

There is so much trolling this thread.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Darc Requiem said:
WiiBox3 said:
Darc Requiem said:
d21lewis said:
I somehow got my hands on Deadly Towers for the Nes. I tried to like that game but it was just horrible. I didn't really know the difference between good and bad games at the time. This game changed that.

You poor bastard. I know your pain. I was just a kid and I thought the box art was cool.

I was fortunate enough to never play this game, though I did play a lot of stinkers on the NES, at least most of them were ones that my friends owned. My brother and I only got about 3-4 games for our NES a year, since we had to buy them ourselves. It took us a long time to save up for them.

As for the amount of people who say FF XIII is their worst RPG experience, that really surprised me. I also did not like FF XIII, the game is visually linier, they could have at least hidden how lineir it was by making the road curve a little. And the story was uninteresting and convoluted, at least up to the point I stopped playing 10 hours in. But the combat system was really good and the art design wasn't bad. So the question I have, is it that you haven't played very many bad RPGs, or was it that this game so undelivered to the hype that was built up that it caused the game to be your worst RPG experience?

I'm not sure why. I've been playing RPGs since I snagged Dragon Warrior 1 with my Nintendo Power subscription. FFXIII was terrible. You had to like the battle system or the game had no redeeming value. I didn't think the battle system was terrible but it wasn't great either. So that combined with a terrible story, and two of the most awful characters this side of Emil Castagnier, and I got my worst JRPG experience of this generation. The said thing is I didn't have high expectations for the game and it still missed the low bar I set for it by a mile. Somebody steal Chrono's time machine and get us mid 90s Squaresoft....please.

Yeah, Oerba Dia Vanille was bad and the voice her English voice actor gave her drove me up a wall.

Final Fantasy 3 (US).

I could not get used to random battles after playing Chriono Trigger and Siper Mario RPG.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
WiiBox3 said:
Darc Requiem said:
WiiBox3 said:
Darc Requiem said:
d21lewis said:
I somehow got my hands on Deadly Towers for the Nes. I tried to like that game but it was just horrible. I didn't really know the difference between good and bad games at the time. This game changed that.

You poor bastard. I know your pain. I was just a kid and I thought the box art was cool.

I was fortunate enough to never play this game, though I did play a lot of stinkers on the NES, at least most of them were ones that my friends owned. My brother and I only got about 3-4 games for our NES a year, since we had to buy them ourselves. It took us a long time to save up for them.

As for the amount of people who say FF XIII is their worst RPG experience, that really surprised me. I also did not like FF XIII, the game is visually linier, they could have at least hidden how lineir it was by making the road curve a little. And the story was uninteresting and convoluted, at least up to the point I stopped playing 10 hours in. But the combat system was really good and the art design wasn't bad. So the question I have, is it that you haven't played very many bad RPGs, or was it that this game so undelivered to the hype that was built up that it caused the game to be your worst RPG experience?

I'm not sure why. I've been playing RPGs since I snagged Dragon Warrior 1 with my Nintendo Power subscription. FFXIII was terrible. You had to like the battle system or the game had no redeeming value. I didn't think the battle system was terrible but it wasn't great either. So that combined with a terrible story, and two of the most awful characters this side of Emil Castagnier, and I got my worst JRPG experience of this generation. The said thing is I didn't have high expectations for the game and it still missed the low bar I set for it by a mile. Somebody steal Chrono's time machine and get us mid 90s Squaresoft....please.

Yeah, Oerba Dia Vanille was bad and the voice her English voice actor gave her drove me up a wall.

Yeah her and Hope were just plain awful.

UnitSmiley said:
Pretty much any Western RPG. I feel they are SOOO hyped and everyone is "omg these games are f@cking awesome!" and then I play them...and they are boring and unimaginative. I feel like i'm playing a single player mmo, where the "main" character has no real personality and most of the games "content" is just a bunch of side quests that are irrelevant to the story. Not saying they are bad games, they just aren't for me. I definitely prefer Jrpgs.

But for sake of specificity, my friends convinced me to buy Skyrim instead of Dark Souls..lol, havn't talked to them since.

This post says it best.

It's The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in my case, except that one is actually bad. WRPGs usually make up for the lack of depth in the story by brilliant combat system that keeps the player interested. Oblivion had neither, you just swing like a crazy person with absolutely no weight to the combat.

Makes me wonder why can't the main character have voice acting and and personality development, it's not even that hard considering that they do voice acting for more than 200 NPC in some WRPGs.

I can still like WRPGs style if the combat system is done, Dragon's Dogma for example.

Quest 64... I just do not know what to do in that game. However if World of Warcraft counts, it takes the cake.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Darc Requiem said:
WiiBox3 said:
Darc Requiem said:
WiiBox3 said:
Darc Requiem said:
d21lewis said:

Yeah her and Hope were just plain awful.

Vanille and Hope make me rage. They could have just not had those two characters and I'm sure the game would be at least slightly decent. I can't even play FF13-2 because Noel is seriously the worst character ever spawned. Someday I will.

Also, it looks like a lot of people dislike Unlimited Saga as much as me, I don't feel alone anymore.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward = best game ever made.

Shin Megami Tensei on the ps2, man I hated that game, felt really bad as well cause my gf brought it for me and I had to lie and tell her the game was to hard for me when really I couldn't stand to play it another second!!