By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your worst RPG experience? Please no trolling.

Tagged games:

Ugh Quest 64. The N64 had no RPGS worth owning outside of Ogre Battle 64.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
The N64 had no RPGS worth owning outside of Ogre Battle 64.

Never played Paper Mario?

the_dengle said:
Darc Requiem said:
The N64 had no RPGS worth owning outside of Ogre Battle 64.

The original? No I haven't actually. I stand corrected. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Darc Requiem said:
the_dengle said:

The original? No I haven't actually. I stand corrected. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

No worries. Love that game, but I can't think of any other notable N64 RPGs.

Darc Requiem said:

Time to right that wrong my friend. It's got solid, simple, and fun gameplay mechanics and an art style that doesn't make your eyes bleed despite being in the PS/N64/Saturn generation. 

@OP

I'm not much of an RPG connoisseur, as I tend to play it safe with my RPG purchases. So I really haven't encountered a truly bad RPG.

However, if there's one RPG I played that was completely average in every aspect it was Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku. I mean, I enjoyed the game well enough during those more innocent days, seeing as it was pretty great to be Goku and power up to some awesome power levels... but everything was just so... meh. Especially the combat. There was some cheap crap that I went through during those days, and I was too foolish to recognize it. I probably would have been a lot more harsh towards the title had I played it more recently.

Around the Network
Smeags said:

an art style that doesn't make your eyes bleed despite being in the PS/N64/Saturn generation.

You know, I never thought about it, but Paper Mario's visuals have aged tremendously well. Far better than most games from that generation. Better than a lot of games from the PS2/GCN era, too.

Smeags said:
Darc Requiem said:

Time to right that wrong my friend. It's got solid, simple, and fun gameplay mechanics and an art style that doesn't make your eyes bleed despite being in the PS/N64/Saturn generation. 

@OP

I'm not much of an RPG connoisseur, as I tend to play it safe with my RPG purchases. So I really haven't encountered a truly bad RPG.

However, if there's one RPG I played that was completely average in every aspect it was Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku. I mean, I enjoyed the game well enough during those more innocent days, seeing as it was pretty great to be Goku and power up to some awesome power levels... but everything was just so... meh. Especially the combat. There was some cheap crap that I went through during those days, and I was too foolish to recognize it. I probably would have been a lot more harsh towards the title had I played it more recently.

Hmmm...maybe. I have a huge back log of games, but since VC purchases transfer to WiiU. I'll think about it. Not even sure I'm going to get a WiiU yet.

Eternal Eyes. Runners up are Resonance of Fate and Final Fantasy 13.

Haven't played too many traditional RPGs in my gaming experience, but Legend of Dragoon was pretty painful with the constant and slow-paced battles. I gave up on it by the time I reached the 2nd disc.

Also, me and my buddy rented both Quest 64 and Aidyn Chronicles on the N64... what a waste of $2.99 each lol.

Edit: After having read through the majority of this thread, I've come to a conclusion that may shock some folks...

JRPG fans hate WRPGs, and WRPG fans can't stand JRPGs.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

FF 13 was terrible! The biggest gaming dissapointment of my life.