By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Plus Prompts Me to Rethink My Xbox Live Subscription

What do you choose?

Xbox Live 78 26.44%

PlayStation Plus 190 64.41%

Nintendoland seems pretty cool 27 9.15%

Total:295

Isn't it constituted as renting if the game that you get, you have to pay monthly to keep, and if you decide not to, you would loose access to it?

Live is straight forward, you get what you pay for, which is online components of multiplayer games and the cross party chat of up to 8 people. At like £2 a month, I really don't understand why people would bitch about the price of either, I just don't think it'd be practical to keep both at the same time, but live just seems enough on its own, along with a rental subscription from Blockbuster, Lovefilm w/e to get your "free" games.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
fastyxx said:
I get so bored of the argument that PSN is free. There's no such thing as "free". You're still paying for PSN in some way, be it an extra $1 or $.50 on every PSN purchase they have, in first-party titles staying $5 more for a few more weeks, in initial purchase price of consoles ($599!), convincing you to leave your PS3 for two years to "fold at home" and then selling your processing power back to others, in the time it takes to download stuff and update PSN and the like, etc. etc. It's not like PSN is being completely written off as a free service for its customers by Sony. They are in it to make a profit. Just because you don't plop down $40 for an Amazon code for 12 months of PSN basic doesn't make it free.

Hidden costs are just as real as surface costs.

Ahahahahaha!

Wait...You're not joking?

Not even a little bit.

I make about $30 an hour at my job, give or take.  I'd estimate I spend at least 5 more hours a year downloading stuff on PSN like updates and Netflix every three weeks and the like.  So even if you make like $7 or $8 it's worth it.  And frankly, my limited free time is worth even more to me than that.  I only get a couple hours a week after work to play.  Less download time is important to me.   That's more than Gold costs.  Not to mention, power, bandwidth diverted elsewhere, etc.   And those are hours I'm not using my console when I want to.  Opportunity costs.  Even if I download everything while I'm asleep, that's extra power, which costs money.  Maybe only $.25 a month.  But that's another $6.  Let's say every PSN piece of content costs you an extra $.20 on average because of PSN being free.  I'm not suggesting they'd price things at $7.79 instead of $7.99, but somethings are a dollar more while others are a little less.  You know the definition of "average."  Well if I download 20 items a year, that's another $4.  

It adds up.  And just because you're not plopping down $40 in one chunk doesn't mean it doesn't have the same costs.  If I pay my car insurance $600 at a time or $100 every month or $25 a week, it all costs the same.   I do think they take advantage of the people who pay $60 a little bit, but that's people's own fault.  There's a myriad of options out there to get it for less.  Renewed for #5 last week through Amazon Daily.  Sony makes up that $3.41 a month in a multitude of ways you just don't see.

And they are financially unhealhty and really need the revenue.  If people love their Sony stuff as much as they say, they wouldn't begrudge them an extra couple bucks to help them stay viable any how.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

BasilZero said:
Baalzamon said:
BasilZero said:

Seriously.....?

WTF, forget that, not even worth it >.>.

Are you still able to watch netflix movies once you cancel your subscription?

I dont know, I never had Netflix , PSN+ or XBL Gold (matterfact dont even have a 360 xD) o.o.

Just saying.  I saw somebody make this analogy the other day, and I thought it was absolutely perfect for those who sort of think it is dumb you don't get to keep the games.  It is no different than Xbox Live either, really.  People that say it is dumb you can't keep playing the games should also say it is dumb you can't play a game online once your Xbox Live subscription ends.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

PSN+ is the better bargain but in terms of... well everything else it sucks. the lack of a party chat and the excruciating longer game downloads are the biggest issues, some games lag much more online as well. but still PSN+ is amazing for the price.

this Is pretty much my thoughts.
http://onlytruegamers.blogspot.com/2012/06/psn-vs-xbox-live-gold.html

My subs for each were coming to an end, and I had to decide if they were worth renewing for another year. Eventually, after some thought, I only went with PS+; this time, anyway. Chatted about it on G+ a week or so ago as the poor value for money coming from Live after PS+'s upgrade was stark, and made it very hard for me to justify playing for Microsoft's service any more. So, as I said, I stopped.

Here's the post if anyone is interested: http://goo.gl/vwNCB

Around the Network

How about this, they BOTH suck. Paying for online gaming sucks. Are there any features for XBLGold that hasnt been done already for PC?? PS+ sucks as, well, those games are not free, no matter how you slice it. YOu are still paying even if it is dirt cheap. THe only reason why i have a damn sub is because i got a bigger hard drive and some of my game saves are copy locked(thanks assholes).
This isnt a jab at anyone who likes these services, do you

Comparing psn+ with xbl gold, psn+ is definitely a better value and you get more for what you pay for, but in terms of a which service is better, psn is still lagging behind XBL. For the poeple that think I'm just blowing smoke out of my ass, I'll give several example:

1. Party Chat: I would say 98% of the xbl community uses this feature and just makes playing games or doing anything on xbl much better.

2. Download speeds/updates: Xbl is just much faster when it comes to downloading anything. Updates take 5 seconds and is all done in single update instead of several. Downloading any game,demo, video, app, etc. doesn't take very long on xbl.

3. Demo's: Every xbla game and indy game allows you to download a trial demo, and there are more retail demos also on live.

4. Playing splitscreen on two or more gold accounts: Any game with split screen on xbl lets you play with either a guest account or another gold account. I know this is a big issue on PSN and only several games allow you to have more than 1 primary PSN account play splitscreen, where as every game with splitscreen on xbl does.

5. More apps: Yes, both systems have apps you can download, but if you look at the growing number on xbl you can see there are more than psn and that number is only going to get bigger in the coming year. If you compare both services with the same app, say Netflix, the xbl version will almost always be superior with kinect features in everyone of them. Being able to say, "pause" while watching a movie on Netflix just adds a lot to the service.

6. Community/more active players: For me xbl feels more like a community and keeping in touch with friends is beyond simple. Everything just feels so much livelier on xbl.

Those are my main reason, and if you don't agree that's fine, but these are just my personal reasons. Like I stated previously PSN+=Better value, XBL Gold=Better service.

pezus said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
I think this is how you ultimately justify Xbox Live and PS+

Xbox Live offers a wider selection of games.

Ps+ offers "free" games.

I think thats fair.

Do you need gold to be able to buy games?

Im pretty sure you dont but im not too sure :/

Yay!!!

I have PS Plus for a while now and it feels like a steal. I get way too many games for too little money.

I think it is worth every cent.

PSN+ is great. However, the games being offered aren't necessarily games I want.

Xbox Live gives me access to my favorite online games, which are mostly exclusive to the 360.

I have both, but if I had to choose one I"m going with Live.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)