By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation Plus Prompts Me to Rethink My Xbox Live Subscription

What do you choose?

Xbox Live 78 26.44%

PlayStation Plus 190 64.41%

Nintendoland seems pretty cool 27 9.15%

Total:295
fillet said:

Lovefilm is one of the most hated companies in the UK, have a google :) just a quick check shows this http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews83680.html

Although now owned technically by amazon, they have the same staff as before takeover.

Anyway, it's OT. Just using to illustrate the obvious to our good old Mr Turkish who likes to day after day work as a PR machine tirelessly.

No doubt PS+ is a good deal and a far better showing than Xbox Live, still not "free games though".

wow, never knew lovefilm was so hated. They've been perfect to me for the most parts. their games selection are brilliant so are the rental service but meh. I love it, back to the topic!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
ZaneWane said:
free and renting are two completely different things

renting for free for 1 year.

happy?

I don't understand your poll question at all. Nintendo Land isn't an online service, it's a minigame collection. Did you mean Miiverse/Nintendo Network?

Depends what you prefer. A lot of people I know are happy paying a small subscription fee to have access to a number of great games for a short period of time (PS+). Yes, it is pretty much renting, but many people just play through a game and then never come back to it again - PS+ is perfect for them.

I am not one of those people. I plan to still be playing these games in 10+ years time, much like I do with my favourite PS1 games. I rarely, if ever, download titles - going for the blu-ray option if it's available (even for things like WipEout HD Fury or Ratchet: Quest for Booty). So PS+ is useless for me.

I also, however, think that XBL Gold is bogus for what you actually get. £30 a year to be able to play online? I do not understand why people just accept it to be so. "BUT HALO, IT'S WORTH IT FOR HALO". Yes, I can see that from your avatar, and I'm sure Halo is a very good online experience, but I can list multiple amazing online experiences I've had on the PS3 that I haven't had to pay a penny for. Just because it's the case for your console doesn't mean you should simply accept it to be correct, at least in my opinion, especially when it's so different from the norm (free online play pretty much on every other system/platform/steam etc.)

I get so bored of the argument that PSN is free. There's no such thing as "free". You're still paying for PSN in some way, be it an extra $1 or $.50 on every PSN purchase they have, in first-party titles staying $5 more for a few more weeks, in initial purchase price of consoles ($599!), convincing you to leave your PS3 for two years to "fold at home" and then selling your processing power back to others, in the time it takes to download stuff and update PSN and the like, etc. etc. It's not like PSN is being completely written off as a free service for its customers by Sony. They are in it to make a profit. Just because you don't plop down $40 for an Amazon code for 12 months of PSN basic doesn't make it free.

Hidden costs are just as real as surface costs.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network

Xbox Live based 100% on it having party chat and being what my friends play.

It's pretty fucking stupid if my buddy wants to play the amazingness that is Uncharted and I want to chill and play GT5 and we can't talk to each other or anything.

fastyxx said:
I get so bored of the argument that PSN is free. There's no such thing as "free". You're still paying for PSN in some way, be it an extra $1 or $.50 on every PSN purchase they have, in first-party titles staying $5 more for a few more weeks, in initial purchase price of consoles ($599!), convincing you to leave your PS3 for two years to "fold at home" and then selling your processing power back to others, in the time it takes to download stuff and update PSN and the like, etc. etc. It's not like PSN is being completely written off as a free service for its customers by Sony. They are in it to make a profit. Just because you don't plop down $40 for an Amazon code for 12 months of PSN basic doesn't make it free.

Hidden costs are just as real as surface costs.

Ahahahahaha!

Wait...You're not joking?

Why would anyone want to pay to get "free" random games? Paid for contented, by definition, can not be free. You're really just buying mystery games that you might not like. I'm not saying you should keep paying for XBL, but if you do quit XBL Gold I suggest using that money to buy games you actually want instead of the games Sony has decided you should have.

WiiBox3 said:
homer said:
One thing that angers me about psplus is full game 1 hour dowmloads. They are the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Why you might ask? Because you have to freaking download the entire game first. Well...if you were buying it digitally, it would make sense since you could play it before you bought it right? NO! You have to freaking redownload it if you want to take advantage of that. WTH -_-. Sony needs to allow psn users to stream demos or at least full game trials so that we don't have to wait for 5 hours to download a 15 gb game or at least allow us to unlock it. I will never use this feature because it is so poorly implemented. They better offer me good games next month or I'll be PO'ed and upset that they tricked me into subscribing. I must admit though, sly cooper for 5 dollars is pretty enticing though.

Yeah. I recently downloaded a PS1 game and it took a little over an hour.

Think about having to download 15 gigs for 1 measly hour of playtime and then having to redownload it if you decide you want it. Seriously, I counted and my ps3 gets like 20 mb per minute downloading(I timed it). Ratchet and clank was 14 gb. 14000 divided by 20 equals a whopping 700 minutes which is OVER 11 HOURS. 11 hours for one hour of play. WTH?!?!?! Sorry I'm so upset over this but free game trials are so bad that I may actually have prefered they didn't exist at all.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

BasilZero said:

Seriously.....?

WTF, forget that, not even worth it >.>.

Are you still able to watch netflix movies once you cancel your subscription?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.