By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - For Sony to make their PS3 fiscal forecast...

I think Sony will have shipped 1-2m more for the Xmas qrt than they would have sold - but this just means that retailers will buy NO units this qrt, and just spend the qrt selling all the extra stock they got at Xmas.

Once that is all sold out, then they will start placing new orders.

My figures for this qrt may be optimistic, but I think they are possible as well. I just want to show that even with optimistic figures, their forecast is still very unlikely (as it has been, ever since they announced it).

@Road: Sony can't get away with just saying 11m LTD - this isn't kindergarden. Its the figure everyone will be looking at, and they will miss it by 2-3m.

(note - I also think Ninty will upp their Wii forecast by another 1m, and hit around 24m lifetime by end of March - 4m in 3 months isn't impossible).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
How many millions can they get retailers to buy. I was in Best Buy yesterday and there was a stack of 60 40gb PS3s on the floor.

Come on, we all know that Sony only sells one third of it's shipments! A_T said so, so it has to be true!!

So this good or bad thing?
0.6 mln. in january.
1 mln. in february.
1,4 mln. in march.

Total 3 mln. or 12 mln. by the end of march 31th.

So it need 2 mln. more? Because 12 mln. sold to consumers +2 mln. left for retailers - i see that Real. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Mummelmann said:
FishyJoe said:
How many millions can they get retailers to buy. I was in Best Buy yesterday and there was a stack of 60 40gb PS3s on the floor.

Come on, we all know that Sony only sells one third of it's shipments! A_T said so, so it has to be true!!

Where did I say that PS3 sells only 1/3 of its shipments?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Was this prediction by Sony made when GTA and MGS4 were going to hit by christmas, along with many other games in Q1 which have now been placed to Q2.

Around the Network

CrazzyMan: I've been reading your posts for some time and now it's really obvious: you're blinded by fanboyism. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's best you admit. Because what you say is impossible - and you know it.

Was this prediction by Sony made when GTA and MGS4 were going to hit by christmas, along with many other games in Q1 which have now been placed to Q2.

==> +1 for Griffin

so anytone to answer his question ?

Time to Work !

Everything you say makes sense but we cannot account for some drastic measure that Sony might take and meet their goal. Most people in April 07 would have bet big money that Sony would never sell over 5.5 mil by the end of 2007.

Most likely they will try to beat the street for the quarter. They can do it 2 ways. They can meet and exceed their shipment forecast (doubtful) or they can make a profit in the PS3 division early by holding strong onto the current price point (most likely to happen of the 2). They will blame the missed shipment's on the fact that they decided profitability was more important then dropping the price and selling at a loss again.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

So...what will Sony do if they miss their fiscal sales for this term? I know bad publicity and their shareholders won't be happy, but what else would happen? Would developers also look down on them for developing for their system?

It's been bothering me for some time. I mean, I really don't want to see them down (I'm not a Sony fanboy; I'm strictly for Nintendo because I enjoy their products) because there will be no competition left for Microsoft and Nintendo. But what 'bad' could happen to Sony if they miss their fiscal forecast of 14.75 million shipped WW to retailers?