By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS will have even less exclusives next gen

Microsoft has more than enough existing IP's to last an entire console cycle next generation. They've acquired plenty of them over the last decade. They have IP's that appeal to adults, teens, children, everyone. Unfortunately, Microsoft for whatever reason will not take advantage of most of these IP's and because Microsoft won't try to create their own identity and their own brand similar to what Nintendo and Sega used to do, the Xbox brand will probably have less relevance next generation than it did this generation.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:
crissindahouse said:

as if they wouldn't start new ip's next gen lol...i say sony will lose more exclusives as microsoft will. sony realized they have too many which is money wasting, they said it anywhere didn't they? (i read that but no clue in which thread). microsoft opened some new studios and nobody knows if they won't buy someone more. i donÄt see sony purchasing more studios.

Sony purchased Sucker Punch last year. A much bigger developing studio than anything MS has purchased in a long time.

OT: I agree. MS is doing it's best to convince their fans that exclusives don't matter, it's all about multiplatforms. Seems they were semi-successful. Their fans agree with them that exclusives don't matter this gen, but disagree with them when it comes to next-gen.

MS : Here is the (timed) exclusive DLC for Resident Evil 6 that you have to pay for! Enjoy.

Sony : Here is the exclusive DLC for Far Cry 3 that's free! Enjoy.

That's the difference between these two companies. So even if MS pours all it's money on exclusives next-gen, PS4 has nothing to fear. It will get all of them like Bioshock, ME, Lost Planet etc etc. 360 is just a hype machine, nothing else. In long term, the Playstation offers way more.

Sucker Punch?  Microsoft didn't even have to buy a studio and got far more from Gears of War than what Sony got from Sucker Punch this generation.

As for free DLC vs. timed exclusive DLC, it's a given that Resident Evil 6's timed exclusive DLC will have far more to it than any free DLC for Far Cry 3.

Also it's great that PS3 gamers got to play Bioshock, Mass Effect 1 (oh wait they didn't), Lost Planet, etc, but they were first on Xbox 360 and when you finally got to play those ones we had moved on to the next big thing that you had to wait for.  That's how the Xbox 360 rolled and that's how it destroyed Playstation dominance. 

Looking at Destiny it's going to happen all over again and with Microsoft hiring Phil Harrison as their Eisenhower for the real invasion of mainland Europe I almost feel sorry for Sony and Playstation fan***s...

coolbeans said:
Ajescent said:

Are you suggesting that only MS owned studios are working on "unannounced" projects...? Because according to your list, almost all MS studios have "untitled project" next to their names, wereas the Sony and Nintedo ones only have their staples next to their names...

......You essentially answered your own question.  The 1st party MS studios listed are new and have yet to officially announce their new products.  The Ninty and Sony 1st party studios listed have a history behind them, so Dirty listed their most recent official franchise.  Seriously, where is this coming from?

My point was, everyone works on unannounced projects. Point of reference, no one knew Naughty Dog was working on Last of Us until they announced it, no one knew Quantic Dream was working on Beyond until they announced it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Argh_College said:
mantlepiecek said:
crissindahouse said:

as if they wouldn't start new ip's next gen lol...i say sony will lose more exclusives as microsoft will. sony realized they have too many which is money wasting, they said it anywhere didn't they? (i read that but no clue in which thread). microsoft opened some new studios and nobody knows if they won't buy someone more. i donÄt see sony purchasing more studios.

Sony purchased Sucker Punch last year. A much bigger developing studio than anything MS has purchased in a long time.

OT: I agree. MS is doing it's best to convince their fans that exclusives don't matter, it's all about multiplatforms. Seems they were semi-successful. Their fans agree with them that exclusives don't matter this gen, but disagree with them when it comes to next-gen.

MS : Here is the (timed) exclusive DLC for Resident Evil 6 that you have to pay for! Enjoy.

Sony : Here is the exclusive DLC for Far Cry 3 that's free! Enjoy.

That's the difference between these two companies. So even if MS pours all it's money on exclusives next-gen, PS4 has nothing to fear. It will get all of them like Bioshock, ME, Lost Planet etc etc. 360 is just a hype machine, nothing else. In long term, the Playstation offers way more.

MS is building studios from the ground.

343, Vancouver or Victoria will easilly beat Sucker Punch in quality.

... ... Really? REALLY?!

4 ≈ One

DirtyP2002 said:
MS owns more development studios than Nintendo and Sony right now, They probably hired a couple of hundred developers over the past 3 years.

And if MS wants certain games exclusively on their platform, they will get them. Even if they have to pay millions for it. MS can afford it.

And 80% of those studios either have not made any game yet or work on Kinect projects.

The OP has a point, both Valve, Bungie and Epic will make their next games on PS4 too. Valve with their L4D, Bungie with their Halo and Epic with their Gears defined the 360.

ofcourse there will be xbox exclusives next gen, from Turn 10 and Rare, we can assume these studios will release their titles within the first year of Nextbox.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

Sucker Punch?  Microsoft didn't even have to buy a studio and got far more from Gears of War than what Sucker Punch made this generation.

As for free DLC vs. timed exclusive DLC, it's a given that Resident Evil 6's timed exclusive DLC will have far more to it than any free DLC for Far Cry 3.

Also it's great that PS3 gamers got to play Bioshock, Mass Effect 1 (oh wait they didn't), Lost Planet, etc, but they were first on Xbox 360 and when you finally got to play those ones we had moved on to the next big thing that you had to wait for.  That's how the Xbox 360 rolled and that's how it destroyed Playstation dominance. 

Looking at Destiny it's going to happen all over again and with Microsoft hiring Phil Harrison as their Eisenhower for the real invasion of mainland Europe I almost feel sorry for Sony and Playstation fan***s...

Well, you can have your dominance, which I doubt you will, especially if PS3 ends up selling more than 360 then that would put the 360 last, not much of a dominance. I would rather have my games. And I can play Mass Effect 1 on PC if I really wanted to. Which gives owning a PS3 a real reason, unlike the fake reason to own a 360.

You don't have to feel sorry for us. It has been entertaining to see MS fans trying to enjoy Sonic Free Riders and Kinect Sports. It will be even more entertaining to watch them pretending to enjoy the smartglass.

Jon-Erich said:
Microsoft has more than enough existing IP's to last an entire console cycle next generation. They've acquired plenty of them over the last decade. They have IP's that appeal to adults, teens, children, everyone. Unfortunately, Microsoft for whatever reason will not take advantage of most of these IP's and because Microsoft won't try to create their own identity and their own brand similar to what Nintendo and Sega used to do, the Xbox brand will probably have less relevance next generation than it did this generation.

What IPs are you referring to?

They dont even own the Gears of War IP!!!

Yeah, because MS went on a studio shopping and opening spree just for the hell of it, seems legit...

Looking at this thread, it seems even some of the long term members who I hold in more regard are still clutching at straws trying to imagine a way where MS stops being in the console business... shame.

I'd like to add to the discussion that SONY has a history of introducing a lot of new IPs at the beginning of a new gen. Sadly, a lot of old ones are left behind in the process.

4 ≈ One

Millenium said:
Yeah, because MS went on a studio shopping and opening spree just for the hell of it, seems legit...

Look what MS did with RARE.

Look what Sony did with Naughty Dog.