By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS3 Are You Impressed Yet?

VGKing said:
BHR-3 said:
i havent been impressed with anything from PS this gen

if you go back to 05-07 and look at all the hype with bluray and the CELL its pretty laughable now. the PS3 has been nothing but a nightmare for most devs the 50gb disk space has not been used to its potential with most all games this gen. lots of exclusive games took to long, have not been seen or released yet like twisted metal, socom, TLG, agent, gt5 and many loss exclusiveness assassins creed, la noir, resident evil, FF, and metal gear

sales wise is nothing to write home about "wait till 299" came and gone with little affect it only outsold 360 for one NPD after it went to 299 and still hasnt passed it WW even though HDD vs HDD skus has been cheaper than 360 since last fall

i'll never be impressed with ps3 most of its exclusives to me compromise gameplay for cinematics and im unsure if its future tiles will change that for me TLOU and beyond, and gt5 car list is just unacceptable

what would impress me for the future PS console would be if it can have up to par multi plats or surpass compared to the other consoles, have more mature themed games, a FPS and TPS that is comparable to gears and halo content and feature wise, and for GT to have a more broader car list from the western manufactures

and imo if the ps3 ever passes the 360 it shouldnt mean nothing celebrations should be kept at a minimal since it took so long, yrs from now when we look back at this gen most will accept that the 360 was like the ps2 for 7th gen with all that it accomplished, what it offered and how much of a household name it became during that time

You have a Halo avatar dude. You're too biased for anyone to take your opinion seriously.

@bold
Play God of War 3. Nothing compromising about the gameplay. Oh and later this year there is Playstation All-Stars. Pure gameplay right there.

@Underlined
LOL. Wow you're such a you know what.

@underlined bold
No. Xbox 360 doesn't compare in any way to the PS2.
The PS2 had MUCH more marketshare, MUCH more games, MUCH more brand recogntion..etc. WORLDWIDE. The 360s accomplishments are impressive, in America. Outside its home country it is just another console.

I had always thought BHR-3 had been a fair poster, I see him as more of a Sony fan, so I don't think he's such a "you know what".

I do agree with him about the multiplats too, because I'm a PS3 fan and I want my multiplat games to be on par with the 360 ones. I don't see why I should be called a "you know what" because I want my version of Skyrim to run as well as the other ones.

The last thing he said was just wrong in my opinion, I think the Wii is the 7th gen PS3. It achieved an impressive market share and is fairly universally recognizable.

Around the Network
EdHieron said:
DieAppleDie said:
is that a joke?
last week charted 38, 132 weeks after release
its selling better than lots of your beloved franchises that were released way after
and its keeping Wii in its way to outsell Ps1

It might outsell PS1, but it's never going to hit PS2 numbers in either sales or number of green games at Metacritic.

by that criteria no console can be considered a success, even (Gasp) the PS3

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
EdHieron said:

They didn't show any games that the gaming press were particularly hyped about to be more precise.  A lot of people said that one of Sony's faults was arrogance last time out.  Apparently, Nintendo's also suffering from arrogance as well because they think they can oversatturate the market with Mario and people will snap up their products no matter what.  They've already got a Mario coming out in August for 3DS and another one on the way in November or thereabouts for Wii U.  Oversaturating the market with similar products leads to a decline in the sales of that product.  Also as for Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus didn't equal the first Wii Fit's succcess and a third one when the customers have to buy a much more expensive console to use it isn't likely to either.  

Wii fit has sold 22+ million, WF PLUS has sold 20+ million, which is hardly a huge drop (how many companies would kill to make a game that sells 'only' 20 million units?)

My point is that i/we here at vgchartz may indeed be underwhelmed with the wii u so far, but from a business/profit standpoint it would look like it has the potential to be a successful machine. Screw the gaming press they're just as big a buncha fanboys as the rest of us, but an investor wouldn't know the difference between a gta and a dance game.

anyways sorry I'm getting offtopic here...carry on guys

Cougarman said:
EdHieron said:
DieAppleDie said:
is that a joke?
last week charted 38, 132 weeks after release
its selling better than lots of your beloved franchises that were released way after
and its keeping Wii in its way to outsell Ps1

It might outsell PS1, but it's never going to hit PS2 numbers in either sales or number of green games at Metacritic.

by that criteria no console can be considered a success, even (Gasp) the PS3

Well how many other consoles have started off soundly in third place at the beginning of a gen and continuing far past the midway point to wind up being the top selling console in that gen week after week at the gen's conclusion?  I can only think of two and that would be the PC Engine in Japan versus the Famicon and the Super Nintendo in the 16 bit gen.  And as far as Green games go, the PS3 is certainly going to have a lot more than Wii when this gen is over and sheer game quality wise it's going to be remembered as being far beyond the Wii in that respect.

PS3 is like a guy who lost all his saving for 10 years on a hot stock IPO since the stock price crashed. Now the price for the stock is back up slowly but it is nowhere near the IPO level and the guy is still losing money.

Wii is like a guy who made a fortune on a no name stock IPO since the stock price went through the roof after it went public. Now the price might come down a little but it's way above the IPO level and the guy is still making tons of money.

also, apparently hype = sales/financial success. I guess PS3 was not hyped enough when it was released.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
saicho said:

PS3 is like a guy who lost all his saving for 10 years on a hot stock IPO since the stock price crashed. Now the price for the stock is back up slowly but it is nowhere near the IPO level and the guy is still losing money.

Wii is like a guy who made a fortune on a no name stock IPO since the stock price went through the roof after it went public. Now the price might come down a little but it's way above the IPO level and the guy is still making tons of money.

also, apparently hype = sales/financial success. I guess PS3 was not hyped enough when it was released.

The PS3 was not hyped much at its release since it received a lot of negative publicity for its $600.00 price tag at E3 2006.

Last Gen
PS2: 150 million        
Xbox: 24 million
Gamecube: 22 million

This Gen
Wii: 95.5 million
Xbox 360: 67 million
PS3: 64.8 million

You: "Are you impressed with the run the PS3 has had this generation?"
Me: "No if anything it's the console I'm least impressed with."

PS3 is like that cool guy that will ask to borrow your car, and later he'll return it with a full tank of gas.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

>start a thread about the ps3

>10 pages later...

Anyway, the PS3 is the best home console this generation, everyone knows this.

EdHieron said:
I think the Cool Guy who arrives too late to the party analogy is more fitting for Wii U.

No, the Wii U as it stands is the uncool guy who just bought a smartphone and other doohickeys that everyone else at the party has had for years and won't shut up about them.