By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS3 Are You Impressed Yet?

Impressed that a former gold medal Olympic athlete is able to outrun a couple of kids from the Special Olympics? They never should have been able to compete in the first place.

Around the Network

Sony failed, addressed its mistakes and rose from its ashes this gen. It did really good, I'm one of the people who believe PS3 will sell more than Wii in lifetime sales.

BHR-3 said:
i havent been impressed with anything from PS this gen

if you go back to 05-07 and look at all the hype with bluray and the CELL its pretty laughable now. the PS3 has been nothing but a nightmare for most devs the 50gb disk space has not been used to its potential with most all games this gen. lots of exclusive games took to long, have not been seen or released yet like twisted metal, socom, TLG, agent, gt5 and many loss exclusiveness assassins creed, la noir, resident evil, FF, and metal gear

sales wise is nothing to write home about "wait till 299" came and gone with little affect it only outsold 360 for one NPD after it went to 299 and still hasnt passed it WW even though HDD vs HDD skus has been cheaper than 360 since last fall

i'll never be impressed with ps3 most of its exclusives to me compromise gameplay for cinematics and im unsure if its future tiles will change that for me TLOU and beyond, and gt5 car list is just unacceptable

what would impress me for the future PS console would be if it can have up to par multi plats or surpass compared to the other consoles, have more mature themed games, a FPS and TPS that is comparable to gears and halo content and feature wise, and for GT to have a more broader car list from the western manufactures

and imo if the ps3 ever passes the 360 it shouldnt mean nothing celebrations should be kept at a minimal since it took so long, yrs from now when we look back at this gen most will accept that the 360 was like the ps2 for 7th gen with all that it accomplished, what it offered and how much of a household name it became during that time

No just no lol. Sales wise and games wise 360 doesn't even come close to what PS2 was. For once 360 doesnt have a varied line-up of games, its focused on shooters. Second PS2 was basically the whole 6th gen, it had 80% of the entire market and 80% of all games released last gen were on PS2. 360 doesn't even have 30% marketshare. Even in its strongest territory, America it is 2nd after the Wii. In the rest of the world except for UK, PS3 is way more popular.

I dunno maybe you're talking about America only, but America=/=world.

I can't be impressed by Sony this gen even if I try hard.

Last two gens were dominated by everything Sony. PS1 sold more than 100m consoles, was home to numerous excellent titles and genre defining. PS1 did an excellent job into brigning casuals to gaming through music games, car simulation (Gran Turismo) and a slew of other gems found here and there. It was where you could find the best games (I was still a proud supporter of the Sega Saturn at the time). Nintendo couldn't touch them and was slowly digging their own grave.

PS2 took everything the PS1 did and made it monstruous. PS2 was like Frieza on Namek, too powerful for anyone. It didn't have the best games, it had them all. Sony had an unbeatable grasp of the gaming market and the gaming culture was synonymous with Playstation. Neither Sega's Dreamcast, Nintendo's Gamecube or Microsoft's Xbox had a chance agains't it.

Then came this gen...

When you think about it, both Microsoft and Nintendo didn't stand a chance against PS2's successor. People even said they would wait for Sony's PS3. But now we know for sure that being dominant one gen won't make you dominant the next gen if you screw up.

Xbox360 didn't have the big names except for Halo. Microsoft managed to get the games that made PS2 successful and even get timed exclusivity to some of them. They built an impressive online structure. During it's first 3 years it was plagued by rrod problems tarnishing Xbox's image amongs gamers. Nintendo who fell from grace decided to cater to a different audience and came up with the Wii. A powerful weapon that brought them back to the pole position. It only started to slow (IMO) when Kinect arrived. That showed how casuals hold no allegiance to any companies. Microsoft scored big with Kinect, it prolonged 360's life.

Sony on the other hand is like that cool guy that thinks he's untouchable. He's like Jean Claude Van Dam. Sony thought nothing could touch them so they released a ridiculously expensive console thinking gamers would work twice as hard to afford one. They said they would never pay 3rd party to get exclusivity so they lost a whole bunch of them. They thought they could rely on old franchises to get to the top again but failed toward fresh and new IPs.

I give them credit for trying hard though. Since 2008 Sony built and incredible library of high quality titles. Most of them were graphics leading titles that showed that, contrary to 3rd party titles, PS3 was on par if not superior to 360.

PS1-PS2, Nintendo lost their ways with Gamecube, Microsoft the new guy that pleased to americans and was hated by japanese I'm sorry but Sony had it in the bag. While Nintendo built an army of soccer mom, Microsoft managed to keep PS3 in third place and this with virtually no sales in Japan and with 3 years of rrod problems... I cannot be impressed with Sony.

I am certainly impressed with the turnaround Sony managed with it after stumbling out of the gate with its crazy "599USD" pricetag, but as a whole, I'm not too impressed with its sales, especially when compared to its predecessors. PS3 was supposed to "dominate" everyone and control the industry.

Around the Network

Ps3 is like the kid who starts out bottom of the class then copies everyone else's homework and cheats at his exams but still only ends up barely passing.

Ps3 games look impressive, it shows how its slightly more powerful than the 360
but i cant say im impressed as a console
Blu ray is a failure, nobody around me gives a fuck about Blu ray
Ps3 game library is full of new IPs that fail to achieve popularity (yeah yeah Uncharted...)
PS classic franchises are now multiplats
GT5, which is the Sony game i like most, is the worst GT game ever
PS3 sales have already peaked, it can possibly hit 90m, but WiiU can also cannibalize a lot of Ps3s Japanese sales...

Europe is Sony territory....by now

I'm definitely impressed with the PS3. It had a rocky start sure, but they turned it around. Sure, in sales the Wii dominated it, but honesty, due to casual support. I do really enjoy Nintendo and I want things to go well for them. But the demographic they were aiming for with the Wii were the casuals. (not saying it doesn't count, just saying you have to take the player base into consideration.)

Now the 360 and PS3 were in much more of a competition. PS3 is consistently outselling the 360 and has been for years. People always talk about how the PS3 has failed to outsell the 360. Hello? Do people seem to forget that the 360 had a nice lil year headstart. If it wasn't for that year head start then PS3 even with it's crappy launch would have already outsold the 360.

Look at the games, PS3 has a much richer library of games compared to the 360. It has many more IPs and isn't afraid to bring new ones out even this late in the gen. Exclusives matter.
In every part of the world besides the US, the PS3 is more popular than the 360.

Microsoft likes to base everything off of image and popularity. Since everyone else is talking about "so and so is that guy at the party who..." (they are funny btw lol). Microsoft is the guy at the party who talks s*** and boasts to everyone about how awesome he is but can't actually back it up.

I live in the US and while things are getting better here for the Playstation brand, most of the things I see are still 360 oriented. I would say the biggest thing is marketing. Sony has never been good with marketing, they can make a hell of a commercial sure, but it won't air that often. I see 360 commercials all the time though.

Also, please note that I AM NOT dissing 360 fans, but in my honest experience talking to people who "play games" the ones who prefer 360 over PS3 are the ones who don't know anything about videogames and have likely never heard of games outside halo, gears, and cod. In fact most of the time I ask them to name exclusives for the 360 (if they even know what an exclusive is) I get halo, gears, and then a TON of multiplat games. Honestly I feel like the success Microsoft has had in the US is because a ton of new people entered the market now that gaming has gone more mainstream. Those people don't know jack about videogames and only want to play because "all their friends are", Microsoft advertises a lot and sends out the image that they are cool and trendy and people eat it up. Out of all my friends who read sites like this and look out for new games and know enough to actually form an opinion about which system is the best, and not just go along with what everyone else is because they don't know any better, they all prefer PS3. Not saying everyone who likes 360 is that kind of person, i'm sure there are plenty who know way more than me who prefer the 360 and that is fine I respect your opinion.

I just feel like PS3 definitely deserves more credit than it gets. Wii won in sales no doubt, for everything else PS3 wins and 360 just got away with murder fooling people into thinking the xbox brand actually offers anything. (in my opinion, feel free to disagree :p)

What I'm impressed about the PS3 is that it continues to cater to its core audience, the gamer. Sony is doing a lot to ensure that the PlayStation platform is a platform that console gamers can count on to receive a gaming experience without the reliance of mass audience appealing popular trends as a primary factor. They continue to push strong 1st and 2nd party support while receiving more than its share of exclusive and multi-platform 3rd party support.

"They continue to push strong 1st and 2nd party support"
really?