By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 2012 proves that JRPGs are still kicking

outlawauron said:

You're being non-sensical with this. That visual novel based off an incredibly popular anime didn't sell as well as Nino kuni. What's your point? Top places on weekly charts are so incredibly irrelevant that I can't understand why anyone could or would use it as any sort of gauge or barometer.

@ STAGE

I'm not sure if you're serious here. The only WRPG to outdo FF13 is Skyrim, and from there, it takes a while to get to a WRPG. I'm being nice and not counting any of the portable RPGs that have blown every WRPG out of the water.

Okay, maybe I was being a little overdramatic, and I'm aware the series is popular. But come on, there's a reason why no one takes Japan seriously anymore. You might not think so, but there are certainly many out there who do. Japanese devs need to step up more and I legitimately felt Ni no Kuni did everything right but it's not getting the recognition it deserves. Of course, this isn't the only JRPG series in need of attention. (Xenoblade, for one)

Around the Network

JRPG announcements are reserved for TSG now.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

looking forward to Nino Kuni. Also cant wait for Persona 4 Golden and New Little King's Story, possibly getting at least one of those.

Soriku said:
rutea7 said:
looking forward to Nino Kuni. Also cant wait for Persona 4 Golden and New Little King's Story, possibly getting at least one of those.

If you haven't already played P4 on the PS2, get P4G for sure.

I'm very very inclined to. I downloaded the anime series but havent watched it cause i'm afraid of spoiling the game.

What i really want though is a western release date for Ragnarok Odyssey in Europe.

There's no such genre as "JRPGs". It is an industry, and it contains many different RPG sub-genres. There's no such thing as a Japanese RPG made in the US by Americans. That's like trying to call wine made by Australians in Australia a Chilean wine.

And "JRPGs" are not a "separate genre from SRPGs". Don't be absurd, if it is made in the Japanese RPG industry, it's a JRPG no matter what the sub-genre is.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

^ i agree with that

an srpg can be a jrpg

TheKoreanGuy said:
outlawauron said:

You're being non-sensical with this. That visual novel based off an incredibly popular anime didn't sell as well as Nino kuni. What's your point? Top places on weekly charts are so incredibly irrelevant that I can't understand why anyone could or would use it as any sort of gauge or barometer.

@ STAGE

I'm not sure if you're serious here. The only WRPG to outdo FF13 is Skyrim, and from there, it takes a while to get to a WRPG. I'm being nice and not counting any of the portable RPGs that have blown every WRPG out of the water.

Okay, maybe I was being a little overdramatic, and I'm aware the series is popular. But come on, there's a reason why no one takes Japan seriously anymore. You might not think so, but there are certainly many out there who do. Japanese devs need to step up more and I legitimately felt Ni no Kuni did everything right but it's not getting the recognition it deserves. Of course, this isn't the only JRPG series in need of attention. (Xenoblade, for one)

The Japanese have more understanding of what takes a gamer out of their element than westerners. The Japanese can connect you to worlds that make sense and worlds that don't. They have their own color schemes and style and their imagination sets them apart from western devs. With control over mechanics, graphics and story they might have a winner, but they have yet to show what they've got.

Soriku said:
rutea7 said:

I stopped my playthrough of P4 after hearing all the extras they're including. I figure I've waited this long, I might as well wait a bit longer.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
rutea7 said:

I stopped my playthrough of P4 after hearing all the extras they're including. I figure I've waited this long, I might as well wait a bit longer.

Really? I remember you talking about P4 years ago lol. How far did you get in it?

Not too far, which is why it was easier to just temp. drop it. You know how I play these long RPGs. Usually over long spans of time with long spruts spread out sproaidically.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Erm... south park is a JRPG? Thats news.

This sounds like hanging at straws though. FF was an engine, it means nothing. Dimensions i dont think anyone cares about since its for IOs, and paper mario is a special kind of RPG you can hardly consider the typical JRPG (oh and lthe last story has been out in europe for a while already).
Really, its basically Persona 4, Ni no kuni, Kingdom Hearts 3D and Fire emblem awakening wich almost had to be ripped out of reggies cold fingers.

In thruth we saw no monster hunter 3G announcement, nor much in the way of JRPG's of importance coming over like FF typezero.