By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 2012 proves that JRPGs are still kicking

I believe JRPG's and WPRG's will coexist equally next gen. JRPG makers have no choice but to support them and Sony needs to start doing it as well. They will have a fresh start and more powerful systems to work off of as well, so they can think about innovating. If Sony starts supporting JRPG's again it will breathe new life into Japanese core gaming interest outside of the 3DS. Nintendo is definitely going to get some JRPG's on the Wii U. Any Xbox is dead in the water over there, so they might as well quit unless the west shows true interest (which outside of the FF on the 360 they haven't).

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I believe JRPG's and WPRG's will coexist equally next gen. JRPG makers have no choice but to support them and Sony needs to start doing it as well. They will have a fresh start and more powerful systems to work off of as well, so they can think about innovating. If Sony starts supporting JRPG's again it will breathe new life into Japanese core gaming interest outside of the 3DS. Nintendo is definitely going to get some JRPG's on the Wii U. Any Xbox is dead in the water over there, so they might as well quit unless the west shows true interest (which outside of the FF on the 360 they haven't).

Theyve co existed every gen.

And western rpg makes have no choice but to do the same

This gen jrpgs were on ios, android, ds, psp, ps3, wii, 360

unheard of

stealth20k said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Theyve co existed every gen.

And western rpg makes have no choice but to do the same

This gen jrpgs were on ios, android, ds, psp, ps3, wii, 360

unheard of

Um....they have not. This generation was definitely the sole generation of top Western RPG's. Last generation and the generation before that was just sad for WRPG's they were dominated. The only company that I felt showed a sign of life last gen for WRPG's truly was Bioware. They were throwing out the hits on Xbox/PC. Next generation the Japanese will have to think about new mechanics for JRPG's that will help them exist in the western and eastern world equally and still give the old JRPG difficulty where you had to think in order to win. This is not to say that JRPG's didn't exist but rather that nowhere near their top form. The best example of were the last two games to hit the Wii which because of that got poorer sales had they been multiplat. That brings me to another statement, JRPG's need to go multiplatform period. Once they grow a name for themselves then maybe they might have the power to go exclusive.

classic Jrpg style is dead, Arc rise fantasia is probably one of the last classic rpg experiences in home consoles,
modern Jrpgs are way different and always try to diferenciate from each other (which is not bad)
Simply put, the classic Snes FF experience is dead

Sal.Paradise said:

There's a reason why Persona 4 is ONE OF the most loved JRPG of all time. Sheer quality. 

Sorry had to fix that for you, it was eating away at me.

Around the Network
zimbawawa said:
Still kicking but not winning...wrpgs are leading the rpg genre saleswise and quality

Xenoblade, Tales of Vesperia would like a word with you

TheKoreanGuy said:

I really don't get Japan sometimes.

Ni no Kuni looks like everything I want out of a JRPG. The game is brimming with sheer quality. The animations look amazing, almost like a painting. A lighthearted story with a vast world to explore. The gameplay mechanics look solid and a joy to play. And it's literally a flop in Japan. I don't get it, is it because the protagonists are children?

I fully expected the transition of JRPGs from last gen to this gen to be something similar to Ni no Kuni, but no.

Instead we get a game like this that was at the top of Japan's sales chart at one point.

What the hell, Japan?

(I liked watching the anime, but come on. This game shouldn't be anywhere near the top-selling charts.)

You're being non-sensical with this. That visual novel based off an incredibly popular anime didn't sell as well as Nino kuni. What's your point? Top places on weekly charts are so incredibly irrelevant that I can't understand why anyone could or would use it as any sort of gauge or barometer.

@ STAGE

I'm not sure if you're serious here. The only WRPG to outdo FF13 is Skyrim, and from there, it takes a while to get to a WRPG. I'm being nice and not counting any of the portable RPGs that have blown every WRPG out of the water.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Panama said:
Sal.Paradise said:

There's a reason why Persona 4 is ONE OF the most loved JRPG of all time. Sheer quality. 

You do realise I did not mean that seriously right Did the toilet demon not give it away?

Though if somebody told me P4 was their favourite jrpg ever I'd be fine with that. 

outlawauron said:
TheKoreanGuy said:

I really don't get Japan sometimes.

Ni no Kuni looks like everything I want out of a JRPG. The game is brimming with sheer quality. The animations look amazing, almost like a painting. A lighthearted story with a vast world to explore. The gameplay mechanics look solid and a joy to play. And it's literally a flop in Japan. I don't get it, is it because the protagonists are children?

I fully expected the transition of JRPGs from last gen to this gen to be something similar to Ni no Kuni, but no.

Instead we get a game like this that was at the top of Japan's sales chart at one point.

What the hell, Japan?

(I liked watching the anime, but come on. This game shouldn't be anywhere near the top-selling charts.)

You're being non-sensical with this. That visual novel based off an incredibly popular anime didn't sell as well as Nino kuni. What's your point? Top places on weekly charts are so incredibly irrelevant that I can't understand why anyone could or would use it as any sort of gauge or barometer.

@ STAGE

I'm not sure if you're serious here. The only WRPG to outdo FF13 is Skyrim, and from there, it takes a while to get to a WRPG. I'm being nice and not counting any of the portable RPGs that have blown every WRPG out of the water.

What you say might be true, but you're taking hidden gems here. Im talking about games with proper marketing, are multiplat and are still quality titles. JRPG developers need to get with the program that they can no longer be exclusive to one platform. Not only need mechanics need to change to be worldwide blockbusters (the stories are fine), but they need a marketing overhaul. People need to know they exist, not just the people who fell in love with them before this gen, whom today are dwindling. Final Fantasy is the highest in sales and thats because SE is smart. Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade, The Last Story should never have been exclusive. Lost Odyssey on the PS3 would've carried its sales to over three million worldwide for sure. Instead it was exclusive to the 360 sold 800k and never made profit. There needs to be a cohesive understanding behind these titles, unless they have the name value to be exclusive they just should not be.

Sal.Paradise said:
Panama said:
Sal.Paradise said:

You do realise I did not mean that seriously right Did the toilet demon not give it away?

Though if somebody told me P4 was their favourite jrpg ever I'd be fine with that. 

Should have put Mara and edited in your own little censor bar on his head.