By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 2012 proves that JRPGs are still kicking

stealth20k said:
The game never flopped in japan. Lets get that straight

The ds version was over 500k at launch

and the ps3 game, for a 4th place console, did 100k. Which is phenomenal

I kind of find that hard to believe. Do you have a source? On here, it says it sold 540k lifetime.

The PS3 game flopped in Japan. No two ways about it.

Around the Network

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/21/ni-no-kuni-over-500000-in-sales-says-level-5-ceo/

neither versions flopped

with smt IV awesomely on 3ds

I am sure persona 5 will turn up

stealth20k said:
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/21/ni-no-kuni-over-500000-in-sales-says-level-5-ceo/

neither versions flopped

"For reference, Ni no Kuni sold 170,548 units in its first week. The initial shipment for the game was 600,000 units, which is the highest initial shipment of any new Level 5 property to date."

Yeah, I thought so. =P And you said 'launch'. This says 'first week'.

You don't think the Ps3 version flopped? Well let's see... let's use Dragon's Dogma as an example since it's right there on the front page. It sold 300k in its first week and Ni no Kuni hasn't even done that in its lifetime. In comparison to the DS version, Ni no Kuni for PS3 only sold 65k in its first week and it sold less than expected, selling only 40% of stock.

http://andriasang.com/comz35/

Edit: Actually those aren't even first week sales for Dragon's Dogma. They only include 3 days.

Are we going to do the game compare game?

pokemon black white sold 15 million, both are flops

Comparing games is stupid because each had different circumstances

for example dragon dogma didnt have a second version

Around the Network

Go back and read your own posts. All I did was prove you wrong. It's not like I'm glad the game flopped. In fact, I'm appalled, as evident from my previous post. >_>

TheKoreanGuy said:

I really don't get Japan sometimes.

Ni no Kuni looks like everything I want out of a JRPG. The game is brimming with sheer quality. The animations look amazing, almost like a painting. A lighthearted story with a vast world to explore. The gameplay mechanics look solid and a joy to play. And it's literally a flop in Japan. I don't get it, is it because the protagonists are children?

I fully expected the transition of JRPGs from last gen to this gen to be something similar to Ni no Kuni, but no.

Instead we get a game like this that was at the top of Japan's sales chart at one point.

What the hell, Japan?

(I liked watching the anime, but come on. This game shouldn't be anywhere near the top-selling charts.)

LMAO, thats funny. The times are changing, maybe people in Japan just dont care about that genre like they used too.

^ FE was announced for europe

TheKoreanGuy said:

Go back and read your own posts. All I did was prove you wrong. It's not like I'm glad the game flopped. In fact, I'm appalled, as evident from my previous post. >_>

you didnt prove anything....the games were not flops. Not according to level 5, not according to me

There is no doubt the ds cannabalized sales

but when you take that into account 100k for an rpg in japan is great