By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 2012 proves that JRPGs are still kicking

zimbawawa said:
Still kicking but not winning...wrpgs are leading the rpg genre saleswise and quality

I honestly don't understand why people are so obsessed with wrpg's. Big budgets? Sure. Quality? I don't think so. It's not quality across the board for wrpg's. In fact, many of them are mediocre.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Sal.Paradise said:

There's a reason why Persona 4 is the most loved JRPG of all time. Sheer quality. 

Has the JRPG fanbase truly fallen so far? Or is the broken image the indication that this was a joke that went wrong due to a technical snafu?

Ah, the image was of a P4 screenshot of a demon sitting on a toilet saying 'You'll have to show me your determination". I think you get the tone

That Ni No Kuni game looks fun.

a tad off topic, but that Square engine, while impressive, struck me as odd in two ways:

1) Real beards' hairs don't individually bounce around at the slightest push like they're made out of rubber.
2) The sparks were very unrealistic and overkill - clearly don't to just show "HEY LOOK WE CAN DO LOTS O' SPARKIES!"

Dragon's Dogma proves that JRPGs are still kicking.

The Final Fantasy tech demo just proves that Square-Enix excels at making tech demos, not games. Which we've known for years now. See: Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Two words: Xenoblade Chronicles.

Around the Network
zimbawawa said:
Still kicking but not winning...wrpgs are leading the rpg genre saleswise and quality

Winning, dominating, whatever you want

jrpgs lead in worldwide sales and quality

its not even close

Oh and fyi, that list was only a fraction of the japanese rpgs at the event turning heads on multiple platforms

pokemon conquest on ds, symphony of something on android, gungir on psp, agarest 2 on ps3, kingdom hearts DDD on 3ds

It was a very very very strong japanese rpg showing, which makes me wonder what tgs will be like

I really don't get Japan sometimes.

Ni no Kuni looks like everything I want out of a JRPG. The game is brimming with sheer quality. The animations look amazing, almost like a painting. A lighthearted story with a vast world to explore. The gameplay mechanics look solid and a joy to play. And it's literally a flop in Japan. I don't get it, is it because the protagonists are children?

I fully expected the transition of JRPGs from last gen to this gen to be something similar to Ni no Kuni, but no.

Instead we get a game like this that was at the top of Japan's sales chart at one point.

What the hell, Japan?

(I liked watching the anime, but come on. This game shouldn't be anywhere near the top-selling charts.)

Sal.Paradise said:

There's a reason why Persona 4 is the most loved JRPG of all time. Sheer quality. 

This is why we need a P5 announcement already. Atlus, I'm begging you... some time this year would be nice.

The game never flopped in japan. Lets get that straight

The ds version was over 500k at launch

and the ps3 game, for a 4th place console, did 100k. Which is phenomenal