By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Numerous information about the PlayStation 4 including specifications - New rumour with more info

zarx said:
drkohler said:
Fortunately the op left out the line in the original that the GPU is an "AMD Radeon HD 7970", so the whole rumour sounds a bit more believable.
Still anyone can make up such specs, it is quite easy. My rumour of the day: An AMD A10-5700 and an additional ATI 7790-type GPU on a shared 2g Gddr5 bus, and a cheap dsp for sound..

The Tahiti core is used in the 79X0 GPUs but clearly the PS4 is not going to use an off the shelf GPU it will be modified and gudging by the GFLOPS listed on the site the PS4 would be a highly cut down version of the GPU.

1800 GFLOPS? Its not a Tahiti core if it cut back that much. The 7970 has 3800 GLOPS, but GFLOPS means nothing in gaming. It should be a customised core, but its not Tahiti if it doens't have at least 112 texture units, if it as 80 its a Pitcain card. If its 40 its Cape Verde. And if they put a Cape Verde card in, Sony fails. Need at least 60 texture units for next gen.

By comparison, RSX does 0 GFLOPS (no unified shaders) and has 24 texture units (gimped by 128-bit GDDR3)

Around the Network
drkohler said:
Darc Requiem said:
BasilZero said:
Something seems a bit off from those specs....I just dont know what lol

Well maybe I'm reading them wrong but it seems to me that these rumored specs has the PS4 having an CPU, APU, and GPU. I get having and APU and GPU. I get having a CPU and GPU. Having all three doesn't make sense to me.

Well you can run the APU's GPU and the GPU in a kind of "hidden" Crossfire setup, so you get quite a few more fps out of it. Efficient memory layout probably is technology hell, though.

I understand that. The way I read the specs in the OP. It seemed to indicate that the PS4 would have CPU, APU, and GPU. I was under the impression that the PS4 was going to have APU and GPU. With the GPU on the APU working in concert with the independant GPU to enchance performance.

VetteDude said:
zarx said:
drkohler said:
Fortunately the op left out the line in the original that the GPU is an "AMD Radeon HD 7970", so the whole rumour sounds a bit more believable.
Still anyone can make up such specs, it is quite easy. My rumour of the day: An AMD A10-5700 and an additional ATI 7790-type GPU on a shared 2g Gddr5 bus, and a cheap dsp for sound..

The Tahiti core is used in the 79X0 GPUs but clearly the PS4 is not going to use an off the shelf GPU it will be modified and gudging by the GFLOPS listed on the site the PS4 would be a highly cut down version of the GPU.

1800 GFLOPS? Its not a Tahiti core if it cut back that much. The 7970 has 3800 GLOPS, but GFLOPS means nothing in gaming. It should be a customised core, but its not Tahiti if it doens't have at least 112 texture units, if it as 80 its a Pitcain card. If its 40 its Cape Verde. And if they put a Cape Verde card in, Sony fails. Need at least 60 texture units for next gen.

By comparison, RSX does 0 GFLOPS (no unified shaders) and has 24 texture units (gimped by 128-bit GDDR3)

actually the RSX is 400.4 GFLOPS, while it's not really a meaningful spec in graphics performance but in the same GPU generation it can be used for relative performance. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

VetteDude said:

Tahiti is the 7950 and 7970 GPU, not 78xx series. Thus this rumor is debunked, Sony won't put a $500 GPU in their console, and especially with only 2GB of UNIFIED RAM for the WHOLE system - those GPU's themselves have 3GB of VRAM just to feed them.

Prices should go way down by the time it goes into production in late 2013/early 2014. Also AMD would most likely sell them to Sony at a much lower price than retail since they'll be using millions of these.

dahuman said:
Darc Requiem said:
BasilZero said:
Something seems a bit off from those specs....I just dont know what lol.

Well maybe I'm reading them wrong but it seems to me that these rumored specs has the PS4 having an CPU, APU, and GPU. I get having and APU and GPU. I get having a CPU and GPU. Having all three doesn't make sense to me.

It would be an APU with said CPU and GPU. I wonder if they'd do something like Hybrid Crossfire.

Hybrid/Asymmetrical Crossfire would probably yield the most bang for buck performance-wise. 

Around the Network
Birimbau said:
green_sky said:
I am liking 7850 rumour. It is a good card. Seems better than 6670 rumours or was that xbox 720. Two 6670's would be close to it though.

This card alone goes for $200-250. So atleast a $500 console maybe.

The GPU that RSX is based cost at least $400 in 2005.

Do you really think Sony pays retail price though, I'm sure they get it much cheaper since they will be making the company billions of dollars.

Gilgamesh said:
Birimbau said:
green_sky said:
I am liking 7850 rumour. It is a good card. Seems better than 6670 rumours or was that xbox 720. Two 6670's would be close to it though.

The GPU that RSX is based cost at least $400 in 2005.

Do you really think Sony pays retail price though, I'm sure they get it much cheaper since they will be making the company billions of dollars.

You make a very good point. People have no idea how much Video Cards get marked up at retail. That's not even taking into account the price they'd get for buying in bulk. Although my biggest concern would power usage and heat dissipation.

green_sky said:

Nah, it'll be much cheaper. It's bought in massive bulk and coming out in 2013, so more lke $100-150 I'd say

These specs looks great.

You don't need 4xaa at 1080p, so dial that back to 2xaa, factor in it being a closed system and optimized for and all and it'll do BF3 on ultra @1080p + 60fps no doubt.

About the GPU, as Gilgamesh said, what the RSX chip is based on was about $400 in 2005, and that definitely isn't what drove the PS3's price up. Sony will also buy in bulk and this is a 2013 console, so that price will be drastically reduced by the time it's in the Orbis.

Also, if this rumour is true, and they go for 4gb, my prediction was fucking accurate! CPU is almost there, though that's obvious, GPU is spot on, RAM is correct (almost), HD is almost spot on! Though I didn't predict any flash memory.

Hardware Specifications
Central Processing Unit (CPU) QC @ 3.4ghz (Not llano lynx)
Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) HD 7850 or Dual HD 6670 (Dual is unlikely though)
Memory  4GB min (inc 1gb vram)
Storage Capacity 320gb/500gb 

Here was the post: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4593078 Even mentions BF3 lol!