By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Numerous information about the PlayStation 4 including specifications - New rumour with more info

We're talking about a platform that maybe will be released in the end of 2014, so a GPU that costs $500 nowadays will be cheap 2 years later.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
BasilZero said:
Something seems a bit off from those specs....I just dont know what lol.

Well maybe I'm reading them wrong but it seems to me that these rumored specs has the PS4 having an CPU, APU, and GPU. I get having and APU and GPU. I get having a CPU and GPU. Having all three doesn't make sense to me.

It would be an APU with said CPU and GPU. I wonder if they'd do something like Hybrid Crossfire.

Darc Requiem said:
BasilZero said:
Something seems a bit off from those specs....I just dont know what lol

Well maybe I'm reading them wrong but it seems to me that these rumored specs has the PS4 having an CPU, APU, and GPU. I get having and APU and GPU. I get having a CPU and GPU. Having all three doesn't make sense to me.

Well you can run the APU's GPU and the GPU in a kind of "hidden" Crossfire setup, so you get quite a few more fps out of it. Efficient memory layout probably is technology hell, though.

Birimbau said:
green_sky said:
I am liking 7850 rumour. It is a good card. Seems better than 6670 rumours or was that xbox 720. Two 6670's would be close to it though.

This card alone goes for $200-250. So atleast a $500 console maybe.

The GPU that RSX is based cost at least $400 in 2005.

only because memory used to cost a shit ton back then.

Birimbau said:
green_sky said:
I am liking 7850 rumour. It is a good card. Seems better than 6670 rumours or was that xbox 720. Two 6670's would be close to it though.

This card alone goes for $200-250. So atleast a $500 console maybe.

The GPU that RSX is based cost at least $400 in 2005.

Oh wow. That is well puts things in perspective than. I think $400-450 is max they should go this time. Economies around the world are in worse shape. 

Around the Network

If these specs are true then Sony are officially mad. Even launching next year I can see it requiring a lowest price point of $500 and even then Sony making a loss on it. The components themselves would be a few hundred dollars before even taking into account manufacturing, shipping etc.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

VetteDude said:

Tahiti is the 7950 and 7970 GPU, not 78xx series. Thus this rumor is debunked, Sony won't put a $500 GPU in their console, and especially with only 2GB of UNIFIED RAM for the WHOLE system - those GPU's themselves have 3GB of VRAM just to feed them

Complete nonsense. A 7850 graphics card with 2G GDDR5 ram is under $250 shop price _now_. By end of this year, chip yields will be considerable higher, so a console version of a 7850 card with 1G of GDDR5 (enough for 1080p) would be considerably less than $100 to manufacture in 2013.

drkohler said:
VetteDude said:

Tahiti is the 7950 and 7970 GPU, not 78xx series. Thus this rumor is debunked, Sony won't put a $500 GPU in their console, and especially with only 2GB of UNIFIED RAM for the WHOLE system - those GPU's themselves have 3GB of VRAM just to feed them

Complete nonsense. A 7850 graphics card with 2G GDDR5 ram is under $250 shop price _now_. By end of this year, chip yields will be considerable higher, so a console version of a 7850 card with 1G of GDDR5 (enough for 1080p) would be considerably less than $100 to manufacture.

Its NOT THE 7850. Tahiti is the 79xx cards!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131468

Guess what, 2GB of unified RAM is fake. It would be a waste of time putting a GPU with 128 texture units it when there isn't even enough RAM to feed the texture units and 2048 shaders, let alone that AND a freakin quad core CPU.

drkohler said:
Fortunately the op left out the line in the original that the GPU is an "AMD Radeon HD 7970", so the whole rumour sounds a bit more believable.
Still anyone can make up such specs, it is quite easy. My rumour of the day: An AMD A10-5700 and an additional ATI 7790-type GPU on a shared 2g Gddr5 bus, and a cheap dsp for sound..

The Tahiti core is used in the 79X0 GPUs but clearly the PS4 is not going to use an off the shelf GPU it will be modified and gudging by the GFLOPS listed on the site the PS4 would be a highly cut down version of the GPU.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

VetteDude said:

Tahiti is the 7950 and 7970 GPU, not 78xx series. Thus this rumor is debunked, Sony won't put a $500 GPU in their console, and especially with only 2GB of UNIFIED RAM for the WHOLE system - those GPU's themselves have 3GB of VRAM just to feed them.

but the site says the GPU is 1843 GFLOPS which is arround the HD 7850 so I assume it is a cut down Tahiti core. The HD 7950 the desktop Tahiti core is 2867 GFLOPS. Consoles aren't going to use an off the shelf GPU, it will be a existing architecture modified, so in this case if the rumours are true would be a cut down Tahiti GPU.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!