By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Numerous information about the PlayStation 4 including specifications - New rumour with more info

Kyuu said:
I'm not getting what this APU thing exactly is.. is it like the name of the entire chipset "CPU and GPU"? or is it separate? if it's the latter then how come they didn't give its specifications?

Originally speaking an APU is an "Arithmetic Processing Unit", it's the calculator of all CPUs.  AMD is using the term "APU" as the hybrid processor so to speak; a cpu with a gpu all on the same die.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
Kyuu said:
I'm not getting what this APU thing exactly is.. is it like the name of the entire chipset "CPU and GPU"? or is it separate? if it's the latter then how come they didn't give its specifications?

Originally speaking an APU is an "Arithmetic Processing Unit", it's the calculator of all CPUs.  AMD is using the term "APU" as the hybrid processor so to speak; a cpu with a gpu all on the same die.

APU has also been used for Accellerated Processing Unit and Audio Processing Uint, it's hard to find a simple abreviation that hasn't been used for lots of different things these days.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
darkknightkryta said:

APU has also been used for Accellerated Processing Unit and Audio Processing Uint, it's hard to find a simple abreviation that hasn't been used for lots of different things these days.

Indeed