By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Forum Changes

Have everything accessible from one home page, but not too much overkill at the same time. For example hot topics, latest articles, latest charts etc, but no links to websites that have little to do with vgchartz....

Around the Network

Ive been wanting a thread like this for a while.

Sales Forum
General Gaming Forum
Nintendo Forum
PlayStation Forum
Xbox Forum
PC/ Mobile Gaming Forum
Offtopic Forum

I think that would be perfect. Its easy, simple and with a good search function will eliminate a lot of trouble when searching.
_____

No like/dislike system on posts in the forums please.

Keep avatars as they are, but flesh out the sig rules. Theres been several cases of people being moderated for certain sized images, but others getting away with it. I think a good system would be how naz once had it. Your signature must not go past the box in which your avatar/points sits, providing your post is 1 line long.

Id like to see points removed. It causes a whole lot of spam. Instead, bring back VG$! Give vg$ for posts. Nothing more, nothing less. The more content in your post, the more vg$ your post is worth (1vg$ per 100 characters). vg$ is removed for bans and such. Use this to bring the prediction league back. Now that VGC is going back to being primarily about sales, I think this would be brilliant.

Some other stuff Im curious about, away from the forums but regarding VGChartz as a whole - Sales articles. I miss things like the Japan preview. Theres currently, afaik, only one person pushing out sales articles (aside from yourself).

Main sales data. Can we have Monthly totals back, as well as a top 5 for publishers? Other things such as say, top 30(?) per console? All easily navigatable with dropboxes, instead of having to click through dates?

The thought of a mobile version of this site is brilliant too. Im posting this from my phone now and quoting people is a ballache!

Oh, Id also like to say "Aye" to sorting out the "This users post...".

If a creator of a thread gets banned, the thread is useless. Make it so the entire post history disappears on a permaban. Nothing more.

Edit - Id also like to agree with KylieDog on the "posts in offtopic dont count" thing.

@ Spurge:

The first news we had about the split / new site / reorganisation / call it as you want was this:

ioi on 07 August 2011

Well listen, I certainly don't regret any changes we've made at any point or wish anything was any different - a lot of things that have been done have made some huge advances for VGChartz as a business and were essential. In many ways, VGChartz is stronger now than it has ever been. A good example of this is the growth on gamrReview in the last 6 months which has been enormous and will only continue to grow. This wouldn't have been possible on the old site layout.

The fundamental change that I'm going to make (and I'm giving no more details at the moment) is that we are building two sites - one to focus on sales / industry / data (much like the VGChartz of 2008-2009) and a second to focus on the new areas we have moved into (game database, reviews, news, videos, cheats) aimed at general gamers.

The step to split the sites into the gamr brands proved the concept that there is an audience for non-sales content (reviews, cheats etc) but in doing so we have alienated the core VGChartz audience. As more and more content has been added the site has become bloated and lost its identity - the multi-domains worked to an extent but wasn't the right solution - it made the site harder to navigate and didn't really split the audiences in the way I wanted.

Having two totally separate sites with different names, urls, focuses, audiences will keep everyone happy - VGChartz will be about VGChartz and focus on what separates us from everyone else - intelligent discussion, sales data, tools etc, while the new site will focus on general gaming and develop the new content and areas we've been working on without diluting VGChartz. Older members will love the new VGChartz site with the renewed focus on data while the newer members will enjoy the new site as well as the new audiences that it will draw in. Some users will use both sites which is fine, some will prefer one or the other.

It will be a huge step but one that will allow both areas of content to grow independently.

Since then the plan has changed, reviews now have their own site, but if the rest still holds true then the move of our games collection to the new site is reasonable.

Not that I like it, but it fits in the general plan.

And your critic reviews won't disappear, they will be moved to the new site. Just like the critics added by the rest of us

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Stronger rules! Meaner rules! Harder and faster rules!

In terms of forum setup I don't have a ton of opinions

Just forum policy

Around the Network

I just want Predictions League back...

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

spurgeonryan said:
I agree with taking away points. But people will still find a reason Carl. The point system was not the start of spamming on the Internet. Points are not as sought after anymore now that gamrrewards are gone. People just think that because the point leader board on the front page. Should we go after smeags for wanting to do a good thread? It just happened to give him a lot of points. I think the only problem with points is that gamrrewards gave them a bad name.

The point is, its one less reason to spam. Smeags doesnt spam. Smeags doesnt make threads for points or to be popular, Smeags does the stuff because he loves videogames.

Replacing points with vg$ would be brilliant. It would cut down pointless, spammy posts and it would usher back in the prediction league.

Again, I have to change my stance and agree with KD on his "likes" post. That would really work.

ioi said:
Frank_kc said:
[...]

Do we even need the forums to be separate? The thought behind this was that we can split conversations and allow people to talk to people about a specific subject in some kind of shielded environment but really the community was never big enough to support this so it just seems to have stifled conversation in reality. My idea would be that all threads would be in one forum and we could use a tag / search to find specific ones of interest?

I think that having subforums is a good thing. Back on VGC 3.0/4.0 (or whatever you want to call them), I would always use the subforums to find threads that I wanted to see, and ignore the topics I wasn't interested in. Now, with extra clicking to get to subforums, I mostly just browse the hot topics and I miss a lot of threads. The change to make the subforums harder to access (no more drop down menu) actually caused me to post less for quite a while, because I'm lazy and I didn't want to bother loading extra pages to switch between subforums.

For subforums, I'd be fine with Gaming (maybe split by consoles/PC&other), Sales, Website, and Off Topic. If you do keep subforums, I'd really love to see some sort of drop down menu like the site used to have so that I don't have to load a new page to see the list. And please keep the Forum Buddy. I always miss having one when I visit other forums.

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I would love to see spoiler tags. If we can't get those, I'd at least like to see the ability to change text/background colours like we used to have, since I used those a lot to hide spoilers.

About a like button; the only reason I'd like to see one is so people don't post "Yes" or "I agree" or whatever, and spam threads.

Khuutra said:
Stronger rules! Meaner rules! Harder and faster rules!

In terms of forum setup I don't have a ton of opinions

Just forum policy

What would you change about the rules? Be tougher on spam and obvious trolls?

You said a while back that you had ideas. I wanna hear some!

I would love to see the prediction league back and vgchartz $. Those two things were huge reasons to visit the site.